Thread: Activation code recovery

Default Activation code recovery

I can't figure out how to retrieve a lost activation code for BW 10. Could anyone help me out? The information in the discussion forum is not helpful.

Default lost activation code

Quote Originally Posted by Moscati View Post
    I can't figure out how to retrieve a lost activation code for BW 10. Could anyone help me out? The information in the discussion forum is not helpful.
    This is from an email I received following an order I placed last month before BW closed.

PLEASE PRINT A COPY OF THIS PAGE and keep it in a safe place! Should you ever need to reinstall BibleWorks, you will not be able to access these modules without the codes it contains. Although we will be able to replace the codes from a record of your purchase, we will need to charge a service fee.

You could try searching your email and the package that the media shipped in. If it is not there, you could try contacting them. At some point a person who loses his codes will have to do without. If you find them, make multiple copies and store at least one at a separate location. That is standard backup policy for any important digital document.

Default lost codes

If you have BW running on a computer, you can export the codes by going to File | Activate Database | Options.
    If you have a computer on which the program was once installed the codes will be in the registry at
    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\BibleWorks\BibleWorks 10\SerialNums].

Default Activate Database did not work

Quote Originally Posted by MBushell View Post
    If you have BW running on a computer, you can export the codes by going to File | Activate Database | Options..

I just tried tried that. Whether I click on Activate Database or enter Alt D nothing happens. I am running BW version 10.0.8.651

They are in the registry but the format is slightly different. In an editor it could be changed to the usual format.
    Last edited by now john; 07-07-2018 at 07:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by now john View Post
    I just tried tried that. Whether I click on Activate Database or enter Alt D nothing happens. I am running BW version 10.0.8.651

They are in the registry but the format is slightly different. In an editor it could be changed to the usual format.
    Click on the Options button and a menu will open. There is an option to export the codes to a text file.
    You can also export the registry list and edit it, as you say. Just combine the two parts.

Default Activate Database still not working

Click on the Options button and a menu will open. There is an option to export the codes to a text file.
    You can also export the registry list and edit it, as you say. Just combine the two parts.
    To clarify, when I click on File it opens a menu. The third item on the menu is Activate Database. I click on that but nothing happens. No Options appears. I believe that is how I activated a module last month, but it isn't working now.

If you have BW running on a computer, you can export the codes by going to File | Activate Database | Options.
    If you have a computer on which the program was once installed the codes will be in the registry at
    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\BibleWorks\BibleWorks 10\SerialNums].
    My problem is that I don't know what "File | Activate Database | options" is referring to. I don't understand where to look for it and what to do with it. I am running Windows 10 with Bible Works 10 already installed and would appreciate a more detailed answer, because the above information really does not tell me anything. I am concerned about installing BW 10 on a new computer in the near future without having the activation code. Thanks again.

Default detailed steps to recover activation codes

My problem is that I don't know what "File | Activate Database | options" is referring to. I don't understand where to look for it and what to do with it. I am running Windows 10 with Bible Works 10 already installed and would appreciate a more detailed answer, because the above information really does not tell me anything. I am concerned about installing BW 10 on a new computer in the near future without having the activation code. Thanks again.
    "File" is found as in the upper left corner of BibleWorks below the BibleWorks icon. Left click on "File."
    A drop down menu will appear.
    Again left click, this time on "Activate Database."
    If a message window opens about Activation codes for legacy databases, click "OK" to close it.
    On the "Activation Manager" window, click on the "Options" near the lower right corner of the window.
    A drop down menu will open. Click on "Save activation codes..."
    A "Save As" window will appear. You may save the codes to the desktop or any other place you will remember.
    When I save them I also click on the pointer on the right end of the "Save as type:" box and change the type to "Text."
    That way you can simply double click on the file name in File Explorer or on the icon on the desktop when you want to open the file and select the codes and copy them when you install BibleWorks on a different computer. You can select all of the codes and copy them all at one time during installation when they are asked for. Normally BibleWorks will then automatically load them into the program installation window.

The next step is most important. Print a copy of the codes and save it somewhere. Permanently keep the file you just saved on your computer. And just in case the worst should happen, save a copy of the codes and installation files on an USB drive or another computer kept at a different location. I keep a copy of my important digital files on a hard drive in a safety deposit box at my bank.

If this does not work, reply and identify the last step that worked and what happened next that was different or did not work.

John

John, I am very grateful. It worked. I have the Activation Code now and I will make sure I don't lose it again. Thanks for your patience and for all the time you took to give me such a detailed reply. Take care.

John, I am very grateful. It worked. I have the Activation Code now and I will make sure I don't lose it again. Thanks for your patience and for all the time you took to give me such a detailed reply. Take care.
    You're welcome.