Thread: Pre-installation questions

Default Pre-installation questions

Hello!

About how long does it take to install BibleWorks from the USB drive on Windows?

Does the installation need "babysitting" (e.g. to click on popups mid-installation)?

Would there be a significant performance advantage to installing BW on an SSD or M.2 drive instead of a spinning 7200rpm SATA drive?

Thanks for your help!

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Fortin View Post
    Hello!
    About how long does it take to install BibleWorks from the USB drive on Windows?
    Ken, I don't remember it taking more than 15-20 minutes, and I don't have the latest hardware.

Does the installation need "babysitting" (e.g. to click on popups mid-installation)?
    After you pick what you want to install, no I don't remember needing to "babysit" it. A BW10 install will probably be faster and less painful than a Windows 10 feature update.

Would there be a significant performance advantage to installing BW on an SSD or M.2 drive instead of a spinning 7200rpm SATA drive?
    I'm running BW10 on two machines with 5400rpm SATA drives, and once it starts up it is smoking fast, faster than any web browser, faster than any major application other than Notepad. Notepad might be just a smidge faster. BW10 speed has never been an issue for me, it is one of the reasons I switched to BW10 from other Bible study software. Typing your notes into your notes editor will take you longer than getting information about the original text or running a search in all of your resources.

Thanks, Steve! I just saw all those gigabytes in the data files, therefore the questions.

Thanks, Steve! I just saw all those gigabytes in the data files, therefore the questions.
    No problem, I would love to hear what you think after you get BW10 installed. Its speed is one of my favorite features and it is blazing fast even on lower-end hardware. In the windows task manager it ranks as one of the lowest in its use of memory and cpu out of all of the programs that I run.

Quote Originally Posted by stevedaley View Post
    No problem, I would love to hear what you think after you get BW10 installed. Its speed is one of my favorite features and it is blazing fast even on lower-end hardware. In the windows task manager it ranks as one of the lowest in its use of memory and cpu out of all of the programs that I run.

I totally agree. I am always amazed when I perform a complex search across multiple versions of the GNT and it comes back with results nearly instantly. Very impressive!
    --
    David

First impressions: Wow! This is great! I am really glad I bought a license when I could.*

I'm just a beginner who got BW10 for personal study, but right away I found so many things I liked just by poking around: the splash screens with astro photos by Mr. Bushell, the Daily Light, the hover popups with reverse translations and other info. I have already learned a few new Greek and Hebrew words "behind" the English translations. I have only done simple searches but those were instantaneous. I can see this has a lot of depth of features and functionality to explore, as well as a great document library.

BTW, it only took about 10 minutes to install the entire package on Windows 10 -- but I should mention that as a precaution I had copied the USB's contents to one of the internal hard drives first, both to have a backup of the installer and to avoid potential issues as mentioned in another thread.

*I had been considering BW10 for a couple months and when I saw it at half price one evening, I thought I had better jump on that deal. That turned out to be the evening before the announcement was made about closing shop, but I have no regrets and am very appreciative of this software and of the people who have worked on it.

I'm just a beginner who got BW10 for personal study, but right away I found so many things I liked just by poking around: the splash screens with astro photos by Mr. Bushell, the Daily Light, the hover popups with reverse translations and other info. I have already learned a few new Greek and Hebrew words "behind" the English translations.
    Kevin,
    Since you are a beginner user, I would really encourage you to watch the Youtube videos on the Bibleworks channel. Especially the ones that apply to BW10 and the ones that look like live training videos. Those are excellent and open your mind to ways you can learn more about the Hebrew and Greek words and their usage in the Biblical text. Also, those videos are great in explaining what you are seeing in some of the analysis tabs which can be overwhelming when you first look at them and then filled with amazing insights when you realize what all the information means that is being displayed.

By "reverse translations" in the "hover popups" are you referring to the Strongs Number Information that pops up in some English texts as you hover over words?

Steve, thanks for the advice re: instructional videos.

By "reverse translations" in the "hover popups" are you referring to the Strongs Number Information that pops up in some English texts as you hover over words?
    I suppose that's what the popups might be -- they do have numbers in the upper-left corner. It's nice to be able to hover over a word in an English translation to see what the original Greek or Hebrew word was.