Thread: Saving Parallel window options - BW10

Default Saving Parallel window options - BW10

In BW10, is there a way to save the options I set in the Parallel window? Specifically, I would like the Parallel window to always open with the Analysis window for each parallel version to be visible. Unless I'm missing something--and I hope I am--each time I open the Parallel window, I have to use two mouse clicks for each parallel version to toggle the Analysis window for each one. That's kind of a hassle. I can't find a setting in the Options to control this behavior.

Thanks!

Earl Morton

Quote Originally Posted by EarlMorton View Post
    In BW10, is there a way to save the options I set in the Parallel window? Specifically, I would like the Parallel window to always open with the Analysis window for each parallel version to be visible. Unless I'm missing something--and I hope I am--each time I open the Parallel window, I have to use two mouse clicks for each parallel version to toggle the Analysis window for each one. That's kind of a hassle. I can't find a setting in the Options to control this behavior.
    I think that the short answer is "You can't".
    The longer answer involves 2 possible work-arounds.

1. When in the Parallel window, click on one of the options buttons and select "New Word Analysis Window". This will, with two mouse clicks, open a floating Analysis Window which will display info from whichever column your mouse is in. If you want to retain Analysis info for one column while looking up info from another column, you have to open another floating Analysis Window -- if you have multiple floating Analysis Windows open, the one last active (or last clicked in) will be updated.

2. If it is important to have a Word Analysis Window for each of your columns, you can try using the Synopsis Tool (ST). This is clumsier to use. Unfortunately, the ST, while very powerful, is also quite quirky.
    It was not designed to be used the way I am describing, so I'm not sure what will happen if, for instance, you have the /Display statement different from the /Versions statement.
    I created a ST file (YourFileName.sdf) in the BibleWorks 10/init folder to display BNT, BYZ, and NAU:
    /Versions BNT BYZ NAU
    /Display BNT BYZ NAU
    /Heading ON
    /Analysis ON
    /Sidebar ON
    Label | Mat 1:1 | Mat 1:1 | Mat 1:1

The /Heading ON statement allows you to see the version and verse reference for each column, which is important.
    The /Analysis ON statement causes the Analysis window to be at the bottom of each window.
    The /Sidebar ON statement displays the same navigation bar on the left that you have in the Parallel Window.

If you create a .sdf file like the one above in your init folder (it is a txt type file, so use something like Notepad to create it), then open the Synopsis Tool; File menu / Open, and select your file. Click on the "View" menu, and click on "Browse". Using the above .sdf file, this should display Mat 1:1 and following in BNT, BYZ, NAU columns.
    I recommend that you right click on the bar that has the version names and click on "Open PopUp CL". this creates a floating Command Line. For me, BW often gets confused, and forgets what version, and verse, is where. If one of the headings is wrong (I now have the ST open, and while column one displays BNT Mat 1:1, its heading says "NAU Gen 1:2"), click in the body of the column, and in the PopUp Command Line key in the correct version id for that column, and enter.
    The navigation buttons on the left should behave the same as in the Parallel Window. If you enter a verse reference in the PopUp Command line, it will set all of your columns. If your columns get out of sync, click in the one you want, and type "s" to synchronize them.

I realize that this is quite clumsy; it probably only makes sense if you consistently use the same versions, and it is quite important to have separate Analysis windows for each column.

--Jim

Default Saving Parallel window options - BW10

Thank you, Jim, for the detailed answer!

I can't seem to get the floating Analysis window option to work. Nothing is displayed in that window from any of the columns.

I have not explored the Synopsis Tool before now. It looks fascinating! I will have to tinker with it.

Earl

Quote Originally Posted by EarlMorton View Post
    I can't seem to get the floating Analysis window option to work. Nothing is displayed in that window from any of the columns.
    The only way I could get the floating Word Analysis window to not work was by setting the "Freeze" Option. Once set, it stays frozen until you turn it off -- even persists when closing and restarting BW.
    Try clicking on the "Options" menu of the floating window and click on "Freeze" if it has a check mark.
    (I had forgotten that one of the really nice features of the floating Word Analysis window is that it allows you to search the contents of that window -- every now and then I want to do that, but can never remember how to do it.)

--Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Wert View Post
    The only way I could get the floating Word Analysis window to not work was by setting the "Freeze" Option. Once set, it stays frozen until you turn it off -- even persists when closing and restarting BW.
    Try clicking on the "Options" menu of the floating window and click on "Freeze" if it has a check mark.
    (I had forgotten that one of the really nice features of the floating Word Analysis window is that it allows you to search the contents of that window -- every now and then I want to do that, but can never remember how to do it.)

--Jim
    That did it--thanks!