Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Activation over the Internet failed

  1. #1

    Exclamation Activation over the Internet failed

    A few weeks ago I mirrored my SDD so that I could upgrade to a larger disk. On that drive was a previously activated version of BibleWorks 10

    Today I launch BW for the first time since that upgrade and after the splash/logo screen appears, I get a "BibleWorks Activation" window.

    It states, "To finalize installation of the product above, it must be activated. You are permitted to run in a Trial Mode for 7 days before activating."

    When I click the "Activate by Internet" button with my serial number pre-entered, I get a message "Activate over the Internet failed. Please attempt manual activation." The problem with the latter bit of advice is...nowhere does this form/window explain what the "Manual activation" entails!

    I have disabled all firewall/virus protection products during this process, and also tried running BW in Admin mode during the attempt to activate. All such efforts make no difference.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    390

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by instrumentally View Post
    A few weeks ago I mirrored my SDD so that I could upgrade to a larger disk. On that drive was a previously activated version of BibleWorks 10

    Today I launch BW for the first time since that upgrade and after the splash/logo screen appears, I get a "BibleWorks Activation" window.

    It states, "To finalize installation of the product above, it must be activated. You are permitted to run in a Trial Mode for 7 days before activating."

    When I click the "Activate by Internet" button with my serial number pre-entered, I get a message "Activate over the Internet failed. Please attempt manual activation." The problem with the latter bit of advice is...nowhere does this form/window explain what the "Manual activation" entails!

    I have disabled all firewall/virus protection products during this process, and also tried running BW in Admin mode during the attempt to activate. All such efforts make no difference.
    Since BW closed manual activation is no longer available.

    I know that BW activation is tied to the computer that it was installed on. I do not know if swapping the SSD would cause that activation to be broken. But recently a similar problem was reported and the fix was to delete the main BW ini file. See this thread for details: https://www.bibleworks.com/forums/sh...run-BibleWorks

  3. #3

    Default

    The forum link to a previous thread makes no mention of the location of the BW*.INI file. I have performed a search for BW*.INI for c:\users (and all subfolders) and there is no such file found.

  4. #4

    Default

    I found a bw1000.ini in c:\Program Files (x86)\BibleWorks 10

    I renamed it bw1000.ini.bak

    I relaunched BWorks.

    Same thing. The activation will fail.

    Is it possible that the registration server has been taken offline, making it impossible to activate anything?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    390

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by instrumentally View Post
    The forum link to a previous thread makes no mention of the location of the BW*.INI file. I have performed a search for BW*.INI for c:\users (and all subfolders) and there is no such file found.
    Usually the simplest way to delete the BW ini file is to start BW by locating bw1000.exe in the root folder of the BW program installation, usually c:\Program Files (x86)\BibleWorks 10 in File Explorer. Hold down the shift key and double click on bw1000.exe. A window should open named BibleWorks Trouble-Shooting Options. The first option is to delete the ini file.

    If the window does not open, BW1000.ini can also be found in the same folder. If Windows only uses one account and that account runs as an administrator, then deleting that file should allow BW to reset when it is started. If there is a subfolder of the main program folder named users and that subfolder also contains subfolders named after computer users, there will be an .ini file in each subfolder called "user name.ini." That .ini file is used when bw is run by that user when that user is logged to Windows. The simplest thing would be to delete BW1000.ini in the program root folder and "user name.ini" in each subfolder.

    That has worked for others. But sometimes a complete reinstallation is needed. If so, follow the instruction is the previously linked thread to make the uninstallation before reinstalling.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    390

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by instrumentally View Post
    I found a bw1000.ini in c:\Program Files (x86)\BibleWorks 10 I renamed it bw1000.ini.bak I relaunched BWorks. Same thing. The activation will fail. Is it possible that the registration server has been taken offline, making it impossible to activate anything?
    Our posts have crossed each other. See my previous post.

    It is possible that the registration server has been taken offline since BW is closed. I reinstalled BW on one of my computers at the end of March this year and the activation was successful.

  7. #7

    Default

    I was able to get BW10 to work, but only after uninstalling, renaming the parent folder under c:\program files (x86), removing the corresponding key in the Registry, then reinstalling. At least this confirms that the registration/licensing server is still up and running.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    390

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by instrumentally View Post
    I was able to get BW10 to work, but only after uninstalling, renaming the parent folder under c:\program files (x86), removing the corresponding key in the Registry, then reinstalling. At least this confirms that the registration/licensing server is still up and running.
    Good to know. Thank you for your reply.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •