Thread: Installation issue of BW10 on Windows machines from USB

Default Installation issue of BW10 on Windows machines from USB

I received BW10 yesterday. I have attempted to install it on two different machines. The results have been frustrating.

The first attempt was on an older machine (Pentium Dual 1.8 GHz, 2 Gb Ram, 32-bit, Windows Vista SP2).

This was from the USB media and not download.

The result was that the install went through but did not complete. The install froze in process. When I quit and restarted the machine (the only way to close out the install), there was no evidence of any installation.

The second attempt, on the same machine, went nowhere. I started the autorun.exe. It opened the Install/Reconfigure screen. When I clicked on Install/Reconfigure, the window closed and nothing else happened.

I attempted to install BW on another machine (much more recent and is a gaming machine running Windows 10 with the latest updates). I got the same outcome as the second attempt. I started autorun.exe and it opens the Install window. When I click on the line to install, the window closes and does not attempt any installation.

I have run the BW integrity check that is on the USB. The integrity check found no problems.

Suggestions will be helpful.

You could try the following:

1) Turn off your antivirus program while performing the installation, and any other programs that may be interfering with the installation
    2) Be sure that you have administrator rights while doing the installation.
    3) Copy the flashdrive contents to a single folder on your computer, and install from there instead of from the flashdrive itself

Blessings,
    Glenn
    Glenn Weaver

The disappearance of the Install/Reconfigure screen s the same experience I ha n my old, revision 1, thumb drive. When got my new replacement thumb drive a few day ago I ran setup.exe instead of autorun.exe. It installed my new module with out any issues. My original thumb drive did not have the setup.exe file. I do not know if setup.exe will do a complete installation or not. I did the anti-virus program turned off.
    Charlie

Default setup.exe

Quote Originally Posted by Chas View Post
    The disappearance of the Install/Reconfigure screen s the same experience I ha n my old, revision 1, thumb drive. When got my new replacement thumb drive a few day ago I ran setup.exe instead of autorun.exe. It installed my new module with out any issues. My original thumb drive did not have the setup.exe file. I do not know if setup.exe will do a complete installation or not. I did the anti-virus program turned off.
    Charlie
    Charlie,

Thw autorun.exe program doesn't do anything. It just run setup.exe, which you just as well run yourself.

The new USB drives shipping last week and this are not write protected. Users can inadvertently delete files. Older USB drives were also not write protected. If there was no setup program on the older drive, you either deleted it accidentally or your anti-virus program mmoved it to quarantine. Or the drive was corrupted or bad.

Mike

Default installation problem

Quote Originally Posted by Latoberg View Post
    I received BW10 yesterday. I have attempted to install it on two different machines. The results have been frustrating.

The first attempt was on an older machine (Pentium Dual 1.8 GHz, 2 Gb Ram, 32-bit, Windows Vista SP2).

This was from the USB media and not download.

The result was that the install went through but did not complete. The install froze in process. When I quit and restarted the machine (the only way to close out the install), there was no evidence of any installation.

The second attempt, on the same machine, went nowhere. I started the autorun.exe. It opened the Install/Reconfigure screen. When I clicked on Install/Reconfigure, the window closed and nothing else happened.

I attempted to install BW on another machine (much more recent and is a gaming machine running Windows 10 with the latest updates). I got the same outcome as the second attempt. I started autorun.exe and it opens the Install window. When I click on the line to install, the window closes and does not attempt any installation.

I have run the BW integrity check that is on the USB. The integrity check found no problems.

Suggestions will be helpful.
    The integrity check does not verify that all necessary files are present. It just validates the ones that are there. Check to see if there is a setup.exe file on the thumb drive. If there isn't check your anti-virus to see if it quarantined it.
    Glenn's suggestions are also good. Make sure on the older machine that you have enough disk space.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn Weaver View Post
    You could try the following:

1) Turn off your antivirus program while performing the installation, and any other programs that may be interfering with the installation
    2) Be sure that you have administrator rights while doing the installation.
    3) Copy the flashdrive contents to a single folder on your computer, and install from there instead of from the flashdrive itself

Blessings,
    Glenn
    I have turned off the antivirus. I can't see anything else that may interfere with installation. Any suggestions for things that may present a problem?

I have given administrator rights to the autorun.exe file. Is there any other file that may need those permissions to run correctly?

I copied them to a folder on the main operation drive. Has there been any reported issues with an SSD drive?

You need administrator rights on your computer, in order to perform an installation. If you don't have administrator rights, you might not be able to install. People who have a laptop belonging to a university may have this problem, as the IT people may not want users installing their own software on the computer.

Glenn
    Glenn Weaver

Quote Originally Posted by MBushell View Post
    Charlie,

Thw autorun.exe program doesn't do anything. It just run setup.exe, which you just as well run yourself.

The new USB drives shipping last week and this are not write protected. Users can inadvertently delete files. Older USB drives were also not write protected. If there was no setup program on the older drive, you either deleted it accidentally or your anti-virus program mmoved it to quarantine. Or the drive was corrupted or bad.

Mike
    I can say with certainty that there was no setup.exe prior to running. There was a setup configuration setting and an .inx file. That was why I had to choose the autorun.exe.

Default install problems

Quote Originally Posted by Latoberg View Post
    I can say with certainty that there was no setup.exe prior to running. There was a setup configuration setting and an .inx file. That was why I had to choose the autorun.exe.
    Can you send me a directory listing of the USB drive? The easiest way to get it is to open a DOS window on the drive and type "dir > files.txt". Then send me files.txt.

That will tell me what version of the drive you have and if any files are missing.

The drives are produced in quantity and all from the same master file. It is difficult to see how the drive could have been shipped without setup.exe. It had to have been deleted inadvertently or removed by anti-virus software.

If it was missing originally it won't be the only one it it should be obvious very soon. In any case send me the requested file privately and include you e-mail address. The setup.exe file is not large and I can e-mail it, but it has to be from the same master disk.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by MBushell View Post
    Can you send me a directory listing of the USB drive? The easiest way to get it is to open a DOS window on the drive and type "dir > files.txt". Then send me files.txt.

That will tell me what version of the drive you have and if any files are missing.

The drives are produced in quantity and all from the same master file. It is difficult to see how the drive could have been shipped without setup.exe. It had to have been deleted inadvertently or removed by anti-virus software.

If it was missing originally it won't be the only one it it should be obvious very soon. In any case send me the requested file privately and include you e-mail address. The setup.exe file is not large and I can e-mail it, but it has to be from the same master disk.

Mike

I was proven incorrect. There was a setup.exe file. Avast had quarantined it on the first computer I attempted the install.

I have found the setup.exe file. It was listed as a temp file on the C: drive, so that threw me off a little. It has now been restored to the USB drive and the install is going forward.

Thank you for the assistance.

Todd