Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: CHM reader disappearing a few seconds after opening

Default CHM reader disappearing a few seconds after opening

Hi, I've just installed BW10, and when opening the CHM reader with resources like Wallace's Greek grammar, the reader dissapears after a few seconds, and cannot be found under the windows menu. I don't know if this is a problem to do with me installing BW on a mac on Sierra, but I didn't have this problem with BW9.
    Any ideas?
    thanks
    Duncan Forbes
    New Life Church, Roehampton, London
    www.newlifelondon.com
    www.duncanf.blogspot.com

Default chm problem

Quote Originally Posted by Dunk View Post
    Hi, I've just installed BW10, and when opening the CHM reader with resources like Wallace's Greek grammar, the reader dissapears after a few seconds, and cannot be found under the windows menu. I don't know if this is a problem to do with me installing BW on a mac on Sierra, but I didn't have this problem with BW9.
    Any ideas?
    thanks
    Go to the BW databases folder and right click on the chm file. If it has been locked by the system, unlock it. I am not a Mac user. Maybe some Mac users have seen this. Also, check the knowledge base.

Mike

It is probably behind the main window. You are correct that it is not in the windows menu, however, I have my Mac set up so I can point to the right corner and see all the windows like below. Try minimizing the main BW screen if you do not have your Mac set up this way to see if it is just behind the main screen .
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks for the replies! Jfidel you're right, after a few seconds the CHM reader is hiding behind the BW window. Its really frustrating. Unfortunately its not possible to alt ` through to the window (which i often use to cycle through the different windows open within an app). Has anyone found a fix other than resizing windows?
    THanks
    Duncan Forbes
    www.newlifelondon.com
    www.duncanf.blogspot.com

In the Mac, go to settings/mission control/ and select hot corners and set it up as shown below. If you move your mouse to the right corner you can see all the windows associated with the application you are running... in this instance BW10.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks, I do already have that hot corner set up like that, but its not an ideal fix because there's still a number of mouse clicks, movements, and drag and holds involved. My CHM reader is disappearing every 5 seconds, so to read anything, I can to keep navigating between the BW window, and the CHM window.
    Duncan Forbes
    www.newlifelondon.com
    www.duncanf.blogspot.com

Dunk,
    Mine only disappears if I accidentally click on the main BW window behind it. Perhaps if you set the resource and the main screen side by side, maximize the chm resource when reading or put the chm resource on a different virtual desktop.

Sorry, I am out of suggestions.

That's interesting, for me the CHM reader goes behind BW if I just hover the mouse over the browse window (without clicking). It doesn't do this with the analysis or search window, just the browse one!?
    Duncan Forbes
    www.newlifelondon.com
    www.duncanf.blogspot.com

If you go to the analysis window and right mouse click and select "update only when shift key depressed" that should help keep the focus on the resource rather than switching back to the main BW window. Any time you interact with the BW main screen the resource will move behind it.

Quote Originally Posted by jfidel View Post
    If you go to the analysis window and right mouse click and select "update only when shift key depressed" that should help keep the focus on the resource rather than switching back to the main BW window. Any time you interact with the BW main screen the resource will move behind it.
    That is a great idea. Unfortunately, due to a disability I have, I can't use the shift key easily, so don't have that selected. But I really appreciate the idea. I wish there was a way that the CHM reader could be seen as a second BW window, that would be really useful.
    Duncan Forbes
    www.newlifelondon.com
    www.duncanf.blogspot.com