Thread: How can I download and install BW 10 on a new machine?

Default How can I download and install BW 10 on a new machine?

Good Day!

I was saddened to hear about BWs closing. I've used BW for many years, and have always appreciated the good work that you folks have done.

Now I find myself in a predicament. I just bought a new machine and am installing all of my software. I still have a copy of the BWDownloader app, and figured I could use it to reinstall. I've already uninstalled BW 10 from the old machine. When I launched the downloader app, it prompted me for my license/activation code. It turns out I had 2, one for the upgrade (I had upgraded to BW10 from an older version some time back) and one for BW10. I tried both, and was told that neither was a valid code. I'm not sure if this has something to do with the closing of BWs or not. I wouldn't think so, but have no idea what is going on. I sent an email to the standard support address, and was given the unfortunate news.

So, what can I do. Is there a way I can get BW10 reinstalled on my new computer? I'd really like to continue to use it as long as possible. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Dave

Default new install

Quote Originally Posted by dnovick View Post
    Good Day!

I was saddened to hear about BWs closing. I've used BW for many years, and have always appreciated the good work that you folks have done.

Now I find myself in a predicament. I just bought a new machine and am installing all of my software. I still have a copy of the BWDownloader app, and figured I could use it to reinstall. I've already uninstalled BW 10 from the old machine. When I launched the downloader app, it prompted me for my license/activation code. It turns out I had 2, one for the upgrade (I had upgraded to BW10 from an older version some time back) and one for BW10. I tried both, and was told that neither was a valid code. I'm not sure if this has something to do with the closing of BWs or not. I wouldn't think so, but have no idea what is going on. I sent an email to the standard support address, and was given the unfortunate news.

So, what can I do. Is there a way I can get BW10 reinstalled on my new computer? I'd really like to continue to use it as long as possible. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Dave
    Dave,
    Nothing has changed with the closure which would affect your reinstalling BibleWorks. I am assuming that you did not originally order installation media, but download only. Is that correct? If that is so I believe that the download can only be done a couple of times and there may be a time limit. That is why downloaders are encouraged to back up the downloaded files for future use, on removable media for example. In the worst case you would have to wait until July when we will post a "final" BW10 ISO image that will be publicly accessible by anyone. But I will see if someone is till in the office and can get you another shot at the download.
    Mike

D

Default Issue resolved

Good Day,

So I solved my problem.

As you mention, I recall when I downloaded the media originally that there was a note recommending that I keep a backup copy. I was sure I had, but couldn't find it when I started preparing for the build out of the new machine. Therefore, I tried to download again.

Just a little while ago, I remembered that I had kept some critical installers in my Dropbox. As it turned out, I had turned off synching of this folder to my old desktop, as I was running low on space. In hope, I went looking for this backup folder on my new system's Dropbox, and indeed it was there. The install is going along just fine now.

Thanks for your willingness to check into this. However, it looks like I didn't mistakenly get rid of the media after all. I just need a memory boost.

Dave

Default I have a similar type of question

I am new to the BibleWorks forum. I am a long time user and just love this program. I use it almost exclusively and I have another program that is far more costly. Anyway, I was concerned about being able to use BibleWorks on a new computer so I purchased one, loaded the program along with all my activation codes before the closing date. It works great on my new pc. However, my new pc is not my primary pc (surface pro 3 is). And, last night while checking for updates and selecting a few updates (Wtt and Wtm Hebrew?)my I the program went away. And, every time I went to open it, it would not open. I tried restoring checkpoints and that didn't work either. I finally unloaded the program and reloaded it via flash drive along with al the codes and now it begins to load and then stops. I never finishes loading. I could sure use some help if anyone has some ideas.
    Have a great day,
    Tom L

Default installing

Quote Originally Posted by Tom L View Post
    I am new to the BibleWorks forum. I am a long time user and just love this program. I use it almost exclusively and I have another program that is far more costly. Anyway, I was concerned about being able to use BibleWorks on a new computer so I purchased one, loaded the program along with all my activation codes before the closing date. It works great on my new pc. However, my new pc is not my primary pc (surface pro 3 is). And, last night while checking for updates and selecting a few updates (Wtt and Wtm Hebrew?)my I the program went away. And, every time I went to open it, it would not open. I tried restoring checkpoints and that didn't work either. I finally unloaded the program and reloaded it via flash drive along with al the codes and now it begins to load and then stops. I never finishes loading. I could sure use some help if anyone has some ideas.
    Have a great day,
    Tom L
    Check to make sure the USB is seated properly. If it is loose that can cause problems. Try another USB port if there is one.

My first advice is check the knowledge base. Going forward that will be a promary resource. It has 25 years of BibleWorks wisdom.
    In most cases the things try would be to uninstall, reboot, turn off anti-virus and reinstall. On anew computer I would do a checkdisk to see if there is a problem there. Check for loose connections.

Mike

Thanks Mike. I will unload and then try to reload again tomorrow. At least I still have access to BW on the other pc.

Couldn't wait until tomorrow. Unloaded and reloaded the program (BibleWorks was successfully loaded) with the same results. Again, BibleWorks begins to load and then stops. Any more suggestions?
    Last edited by Tom L; 06-19-2018 at 08:45 PM. Reason: Added new info

Default install problems

Quote Originally Posted by Tom L View Post
    Thanks Mike. I will unload and then try to reload again tomorrow. At least I still have access to BW on the other pc.

Couldn't wait until tomorrow. Unloaded and reloaded the program (BibleWorks was successfully loaded) with the same results. Again, BibleWorks begins to load and then stops. Any more suggestions?
    On the usb drive is a program called "BwCheckDisk.exe". Run it. It will check the files on the USB drive for corruption. All should pass.
    Did you disable anti-virus during install?
    Are you installing with ADMIN privileges? Try right clicking on setup.exe and select "run as admin".
    Did you run checkdsk to make sure you don't have disk errors?
    Make sure you have enough free disk space on the drive?
    It may help to install in c:\BibleWorks 10 instead of c:\Program Files\Bibleworks 10.

Mike

Default Another attempt to download BW

Quote Originally Posted by MBushell View Post
    On the usb drive is a program called "BwCheckDisk.exe". Run it. It will check the files on the USB drive for corruption. All should pass.
    Did you disable anti-virus during install?
    Are you installing with ADMIN privileges? Try right clicking on setup.exe and select "run as admin".
    Did you run checkdsk to make sure you don't have disk errors?
    Make sure you have enough free disk space on the drive?
    It may help to install in c:\BibleWorks 10 instead of c:\Program Files\Bibleworks 10.

Mike
    Hi Mike?
    I did check Bwcheckdisk.exe and it ran through the whole program saying everything was good. "0" errors.
    Also, tried running with admin privileges as well. No change.
    I have noticed though that when I attempt to open the program, I looks like it is loading, and may well be. I am then prompted to register the program each time I attempt to open BW. Then the computer looks like it is thinking for a few seconds or so and then nothing. It seems like it wants to run/open but does not. I apologize for not being able to respond sooner due to my schedule. Thanks again for any help and suggestions.