Thread: Significant Problem with SOLM UBS5 Version

Default Significant Problem with SOLM UBS5 Version

I know it may be a little late in the day, but I raised this issue with BibleWorks support last summer and have received no response beyond an initial acknowledgement saying that my observations would be passed on to the development team.

The UBS5 text provided in the SOLM add-on does not follow the UBS5 patterns of capitalisation and punctuation found in printed editions, but that of NA28. As an illustration of the issue, see Luke 5:23.
    NA28 Luke 5:23 τί ἐστιν εὐκοπώτερον, εἰπεῖνφέωνταί σοι αἱ ἁμαρτίαι σου, ἢ εἰπεῖνγειρε καὶ περιπάτει;
    UBS4 Luke 5:23 τί ἐστιν εὐκοπώτερον, εἰπεῖν, Ἀφέωνταί σοι αἱ ἁμαρτίαι σου, ἢ εἰπεῖν, Ἔγειρε καὶ περιπάτει;
    UBS5 Luke 5:23 τί ἐστιν εὐκοπώτερον, εἰπεῖνφέωνταί σοι αἱ ἁμαρτίαι σου, ἢ εἰπεῖνγειρε καὶ περιπάτει;

In this verse, as elsewhere, the capitalisation and punctuation conventions of UBS5 should be identical to those of UBS4, not to NA28. In all the passages I've sampled, the UBS5 supplied by BibleWorks appears to actually be NA28.

Could others confirm that this is a wider problem, and not simply an oddity with my setup?

John

I can confirm that this is not an oddity in your set-up. What you posted is the way it looks in BibleWorks.
    Since it is often said that the text of UBS5 = NA28 (only the notes are different), I can understand why the capitalization would be the same in BW10. I do not know if this is intentional or not.
    Mark Eddy

Thanks, Mark.

While it is "often said that the text of UBS5 = NA28", the presentation of the text does differ in a number of ways, including punctuation and capitalisation. In this respect the UBS5 and NA28 editions in BibleWorks should appear differently, just as the UBS4 and NA27 texts differ. For those who produce teaching materials based on UBS5, this is something of a minor nuisance.

Perhaps the German Bible Society supplied BibleWorks with the wrong database for UBS5, or there's been some other mix-up. It's a real pity that it couldn't have been corrected before the closing of this wonderful company with its superb software.

John