Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Upgrade from 9 to 10, Or buy 10 outright and retain modules?

Default Upgrade from 9 to 10, Or buy 10 outright and retain modules?

As a BW9 user on a mac, I feel I need to upgrade to 10 for longevity's sake. Because the prices are the same, I was wondering whether to buy the full version of BW10, so that I can give my BW9 away to someone. But then I wondered if I would lose my add on modules that I presently have with BW9?

Sorry if I'm not being very clear.
    Duncan Forbes
    New Life Church, Roehampton, London
    www.newlifelondon.com
    www.duncanf.blogspot.com

Hi Duncan,

The modules go with the unlock codes. If you only give away the activation code for the main program, then you can keep the module activation codes and still have them when you upgrade to BW10. You will will to contact Customer Support to make the transaction, though, so that they know who has the codes for your BW9 and that your module activation codes stay with you.

The only things that you would lose if you buy new, without upgrading, are versions or modules that were part of BW9 (or earlier, if your BW9 was an upgrade from an earlier version). If you buy new and don't upgrade you would lose the following items that are part of BW9 and that would stay with the copy of BW9:

• Theological Wordbook of the Old Testament, Harris, et als
    • Moody Bible Atlas, Beizel
    • CNS Romanian Bible (we will restore this version if certain copyright issues can be resolved)
    • French Jerusalem Bible (FBJ) (we will restore this version if certain copyright issues can be resolved)
    • The Afrikaans versions A83 and AFR

If these items are valuable to you and want to keep them, then you will want to upgrade. If it is more valuable to you to give away your BW9, then you should buy a new BW10 and then the recipient of your BW9 would have these items. (Or, you could convince the proposed recipient of you BW9 to buy a full BW10 before June 15!)

Blessings,
    Glenn
    Glenn Weaver

thanks so much for the info Glenn, I appreciate you're very busy right now. Thanks so much for all you've done for us. Blessings!
    Duncan Forbes
    New Life Church, Roehampton, London
    www.newlifelondon.com
    www.duncanf.blogspot.com

Hi Duncan,

Thank you for the kind words, Duncan! I'm glad to help.

Blessings,
    Glenn
    Glenn Weaver

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn Weaver View Post
    Hi Duncan,

The modules go with the unlock codes. If you only give away the activation code for the main program, then you can keep the module activation codes and still have them when you upgrade to BW10. You will will to contact Customer Support to make the transaction, though, so that they know who has the codes for your BW9 and that your module activation codes stay with you.

The only things that you would lose if you buy new, without upgrading, are versions or modules that were part of BW9 (or earlier, if your BW9 was an upgrade from an earlier version). If you buy new and don't upgrade you would lose the following items that are part of BW9 and that would stay with the copy of BW9:

• Theological Wordbook of the Old Testament, Harris, et als
    • Moody Bible Atlas, Beizel
    • CNS Romanian Bible (we will restore this version if certain copyright issues can be resolved)
    • French Jerusalem Bible (FBJ) (we will restore this version if certain copyright issues can be resolved)
    • The Afrikaans versions

If these items are valuable to you and want to keep them, then you will want to upgrade. If it is more valuable to you to give away your BW9, then you should buy a new BW10 and then the recipient of your BW9 would have these items. (Or, you could convince the proposed recipient of you BW9 to buy a full BW10 before June 15!)

Blessings,
    Glenn
    Please excuse my 'hijacking' to ask a similar and related question.

I have BW9 now and have ordered a new BW10 (not as an upgrade). Reading your reply, I realize that TWOT and Moody Bible Atlas are not part of BW10.

Given that the cost of a BW10 remains the same for both upgrade version and a new one, will I have the option to switch from installing my BW10 as a new one to installing it as an upgrade (in order to keep the TWOT and the Moody Bible Atlas)? In other words, during installation, will I have the option to make this final decision (between an upgrade install and a new install)?
    Or, will the activation code that comes with the new BW10 USB stick only allow a new installation?

A little complication for my situation is that my BW9 is installed in my current PC. However, I plan to build a new PC near the end of this year and will install BW to that machine. It would be simple and straightforward to upgrade from BW9 to BW10 if I continue to use my current PC. But I will switch machine. If I want to install BW10 as an upgrade on that new machine, I imagine I would have to first install BW9 (using the DVDs I have) to the future machine, and then activate it with its own activation code, and then install the BW10 (using the USB thumb drive) as an upgrade and then activate it again with its activation code.
    For this process, I think, the activation of BW9 in the future machine (say, December 2018) will not be possible as it will be after 15th June and activation of versions other than BW10 is impossible or uncertain.

So, would you please comment?
    I hope I have made myself clear.
    Thank you.

Matt
    Last edited by shalommatt; 06-13-2018 at 01:14 AM.

Hi Matt,

You will have to contact Customer Service to switch your order to an upgrade. Unless you do this, you will not received the activation codes necessary to unlock those modules in BW 10. There is no way to transfer them over from BW 9. They need to be installed from the BW10 installation file, and this requires the activation codes for those modules.

You do not have to install BW9 first before you can upgrade to BW 10. In fact, one of the instructions for installing BW10 is to uninstall previous versions first. The installation files for the full version and the upgrade for BW10 are the same. The only difference is the activation codes that you will receive. (Of course, if you have an upgrade instead of a new version, you will not be able to give away your earlier version, as that would be a violation of the licenses for various modules.)

Blessings,
    Glenn
    Last edited by Glenn Weaver; 06-13-2018 at 09:32 AM.
    Glenn Weaver

Hi Glenn,

OK, I will contact Customer Support right away. The BW10 USB thumb drive is on its way and will arrive in 2 days! I believe the package will contain an activation code (not as an upgrade but as a fresh new BW10).

I have another question. Let's say Customer Support gives me via email an activation code (which is an upgrade code to upgrade my BW9 to BW10).

Is there a time limit that I must use this code to install BW10?
    Is it Ok for me to wait until, say, December 2018 and use this upgrade code to install BW10 from the USB thumb drive into another PC?

Thank you again.

Matt

Hi Matt,

I'm not sure how Customer Service will handle your main program activation code. They will give you instructions if, in fact, they want to replace it. What you need for the modules are the activation codes for you BW9 modules that you are transferring to BW 10. These codes will come in the email.

All of your activation codes are good at all times. There is no time limit on when you may use them. You will want to keep copies of the codes so that they do not get lost, as you will not be able to activation BibleWorks or the modules without these codes.

Blessings,
    Glenn
    Glenn Weaver

You do not have to install BW9 first before you can upgrade to BW 10.

But, if you want to user the modules from BW9 and before, since they are not on the BW10 installation media, you WILL have to install BW9 first, OR you will have to transfer the files from your old computer to the new computer and place them in the appropriate folders, or else BW will not be able to read them.
    In fact, one of the instructions for installing BW10 is to uninstall previous versions first.
    I was a beta tester for many versions of BW. So I had to leave the older version on my computer (since I used it in public) so that I would not be leaking the news that a new version of BW was coming. I never had any problem running both versions on the same computer. So, you can install BW9 and leave it there, and (assuming you have a big enough hard drive) install BW10 and do the migrate function, and you should have everything on BW10. When I had to go between the two versions, my computer prompted me for permission to change some file for BW to load. I just clicked "Yes" and it loaded fine. When I want back to the other version, I got the same question, gave the same answer, and got the same good results. (Some files were being used by both versions of BW, but could not be used simultaneously, if I remember correctly)
    But, if your load BW9, then remove it, it will leave certain files in your BW9 folder, which the migrate function of BW10 will find. I know that any files the user changes will be left on your hard drive. However, I don't remember if any files which are unchanged [e.g. TWOT] will remain in the BW9 folder.)
    The installation files for the full version and the upgrade for BW10 are the same. The only difference is the activation codes that you will receive. (Of course, if you have an upgrade instead of a new version, you will not be able to give away your earlier version, as that would be a violation of the licenses for various modules.)

Blessings,
    Glenn

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Eddy View Post
    But, if you want to user the modules from BW9 and before, since they are not on the BW10 installation media, you WILL have to install BW9 first, OR you will have to transfer the files from your old computer to the new computer and place them in the appropriate folders, or else BW will not be able to read them.
    [/FONT][/COLOR][/LEFT]
    I was a beta tester for many versions of BW. So I had to leave the older version on my computer (since I used it in public) so that I would not be leaking the news that a new version of BW was coming. I never had any problem running both versions on the same computer. So, you can install BW9 and leave it there, and (assuming you have a big enough hard drive) install BW10 and do the migrate function, and you should have everything on BW10. When I had to go between the two versions, my computer prompted me for permission to change some file for BW to load. I just clicked "Yes" and it loaded fine. When I want back to the other version, I got the same question, gave the same answer, and got the same good results. (Some files were being used by both versions of BW, but could not be used simultaneously, if I remember correctly)
    But, if your load BW9, then remove it, it will leave certain files in your BW9 folder, which the migrate function of BW10 will find. I know that any files the user changes will be left on your hard drive. However, I don't remember if any files which are unchanged [e.g. TWOT] will remain in the BW9 folder.)
    [LEFT][COLOR=#222222][FONT=Verdana]
    This is interesting. So, let me be sure of what you said. You mean, I can transfer files (eg TWOT) from my current PC (running a copy of BW9) to my future PC (running a copy of BW10)?

I currently have BW9 running in my current PC and have just received a new BW10 USB thumb drive (not as an upgrade). I am awaiting reply from Customer Service to see if I can somehow switch my BW10 to an upgrade version (so that I can keep the TWOT..etc in the BW10).
    I suppose, if this is not possible/allowed, then I am stuck without TWOT. This will be the worst case scenario. Or, I might have to keep my old PC alive as long as possible.
    Last edited by shalommatt; 06-15-2018 at 09:34 PM.