Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Upgrade from 9 to 10, Or buy 10 outright and retain modules?

Quote Originally Posted by shalommatt View Post
    This is interesting. So, let me be sure of what you said. You mean, I can transfer files (eg TWOT) from my current PC (running a copy of BW9) to my future PC (running a copy of BW10)?

No, I did not explain it clearly enough. You would have to transfer your BW9 folder and appropriate subfolders to your new computer, so that if you get your purchase of BW10 changed to an upgrade, the installation will detect your existing BW9 folder and look for the appropriate databases to migrate into BW10. If I understand correctly, BW10 is not allowed to include those older files on the BW10 disc. So you have to have already purchased them and unlocked them in BW9 (or before), and have them on your hard drive in the appropriate BW folders, in order for BW10 to migrate them in.
    So, I still think that the easiest thing to do would be to install BW9 on your new computer first. Then install BW10. After BW10 goes through the process of migrating existing files from BW9, you can delete BW9 to save space on your hard drive.

Mark Eddy

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Eddy View Post
    No, I did not explain it clearly enough. You would have to transfer your BW9 folder and appropriate subfolders to your new computer, so that if you get your purchase of BW10 changed to an upgrade, the installation will detect your existing BW9 folder and look for the appropriate databases to migrate into BW10. If I understand correctly, BW10 is not allowed to include those older files on the BW10 disc. So you have to have already purchased them and unlocked them in BW9 (or before), and have them on your hard drive in the appropriate BW folders, in order for BW10 to migrate them in.
    So, I still think that the easiest thing to do would be to install BW9 on your new computer first. Then install BW10. After BW10 goes through the process of migrating existing files from BW9, you can delete BW9 to save space on your hard drive.[/FONT][/COLOR][/LEFT]

Mark Eddy
    Thanks for this clarification. I think I now understand what you are saying.

My main concern is:- will I be able to install my BW9 by, say, December 2018 (when I build my new PC)?

If BW9 cannot be installed/activated by that time, then obviously, I would rather have a copy of new BW10 (ie non upgrade version). I would lose TWOT...etc unfortunately. I do not wish to install BW10 to my present PC and then have to somehow transfer the whole package of BW10 to the new PC. I expect tons of problem, not to mention my current PC is Windows 7 based and my new PC will be Windows 10 based.

If BW9 can be installed/activated in my new PC by that time, then of course, I would follow as you suggested.

This looks like a mess. But I am hopeful that BW Customer Service will help me to solve it in the end. Thanks again for your advice.

Matt

If the announcement on June 1 stands, there will be no customer service hereafter. I think you'll have to rely on volunteers in this forum to lead you through the process.
    With prayers that this will not be a permanent truth,
    Mark Eddy