Thread: BibleWorks Full x64 Mac Installer - Where is it?

Default BibleWorks Full x64 Mac Installer - Where is it?

"BibleWorks updates for the PC will also work on the Mac platform. We will do our best to insure compatibility of BibleWorks 10 with future Mac OS changes but the situation is more complex than with the PC platform. The coming macOS versions require 64-bit programs. BibleWorks is in good shape for this, and we will soon release a full x64 Mac Installer dmg. We will also be working with CodeWeavers to explore options for them to continue compatibility support for the BibleWorks Mac Installer. Finally, in any case, Mac users will likely be able to fall back to using a virtual machine (like Virtual Box, Fusion, or Parallels)."

Has this happened yet? I have been waiting for this to happen. It is the reason I purchased BW10. Please advice me on the current state of a full x64 Mac Installer. Thanks!

Hmm...no response. This quite disappointing. Upgraded to BW10 because this support was promised.

Quote Originally Posted by GUSnacks View Post
    Hmm...no response. This quite disappointing. Upgraded to BW10 because this support was promised.
    You may have better luck if you ask your question in the general BibleWorks discussion. I get the feeling that the specifically Mac category doesn't get as much attention these days. Hope you can get a good answer!

Donald Cobb
    Aix-en-Provence, France

Quote Originally Posted by Donald Cobb View Post
    You may have better luck if you ask your question in the general BibleWorks discussion. I get the feeling that the specifically Mac category doesn't get as much attention these days. Hope you can get a good answer!

Donald Cobb
    Aix-en-Provence, France
    I have private messaged admin with no response. I am positive those responsible have viewed my message. I wish I was within the timeframe to charge back BibleWorks via my CC company. They promised compatibility at least for the newest Mac OS X x64.

Default 64 Bit Mac Installer

Quote Originally Posted by GUSnacks View Post
    "BibleWorks updates for the PC will also work on the Mac platform. We will do our best to insure compatibility of BibleWorks 10 with future Mac OS changes but the situation is more complex than with the PC platform. The coming macOS versions require 64-bit programs. BibleWorks is in good shape for this, and we will soon release a full x64 Mac Installer dmg. We will also be working with CodeWeavers to explore options for them to continue compatibility support for the BibleWorks Mac Installer. Finally, in any case, Mac users will likely be able to fall back to using a virtual machine (like Virtual Box, Fusion, or Parallels)."

Has this happened yet? I have been waiting for this to happen. It is the reason I purchased BW10. Please advice me on the current state of a full x64 Mac Installer. Thanks!
    The paragraph that you quote, if I remember correctly, was issued after the announcement of the closure of BibleWorks. It was issued to advise people upgrading to BW10 that we would do our best to provide a solution for the upcoming Mac OS, which would not longer run 32 bit programs, but that we could not make any guarantees. It was not a promise that we were in a position to make for an operating system which was not yet released. In the end it did not become available soon enough for us to work on a full installtion package before employees working on the Mac version left. The company closed before that could happen. Upgrades were sold with that caveat in order to caution people that there was some risk involved. There will be no more Mac development other than code maintenance inherited from work with the Windows 32 and 64 bit versions. We should be able to maintain Windows compatibility for the foreseebale future, simply because 64 bit windows has been available for a long time and we already had the work done when we shut down. And Microsoft is not likely any time soon to take the Draconian step of dropping support for 32 bit applications. What Apple thought that was a good idea I do not know.

Mike

Michael,
    Thanks for your reply. It is not good news for long time users that currently are on a Mac. The good news for other is that there will be more BW10 licenses available for resale... mine included once the program no longer functions on my Mac. I appreciate your honesty but not the fact that the 64bit installer was not completed.

Default Mac Installer

Quote Originally Posted by jfidel View Post
    Michael,
    Thanks for your reply. It is not good news for long time users that currently are on a Mac. The good news for other is that there will be more BW10 licenses available for resale... mine included once the program no longer functions on my Mac. I appreciate your honesty but not the fact that the 64bit installer was not completed.
    I talked with the guy who did the Mac version. He said that he is running runningmacOS 10.14 and BW10 works just fine. I assume that he installed the full BW10 before he upgraded to the latest OS. The currently posted Mac 64 bit installer installs a fully working BW10 installation, but without all of the options. Those have to be added by running the setup program on the full ISO image. The instructions are in a link on the downloads page. The only question is whether or not the ISO installer will work on macOS 10.14 (it is a 32 bit program). If it does run then nothing prevents anyone from running the full BW10 package on the latest Mac OS.

A snag that we ran into was that InstallShield, which we use to do the BW install, does not have a 64 bit version. We were told that Apple might not support 32 bit executables in future releases. I don't know if that ever happened. Mac users on this forum would have to answer that question.

The bottom line is that it is perfectly possible at present to run BW 10 on the latest Mac OS.

Mike

Michael,
    We will just have to wait and see how this proceeds. The fact that you no longer have Mac support is not good news for Mac users. I had hoped that support would be readily available at least through the next update. BW exit strategy had risk for non windows users and as I said we will wait and see if the program functions with the next update. I sympathize with any new BW 10 users that are on a Mac. Not sure they understood the risk when they purchased BW10 during the close.