Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: BW10 in Wine or Crossover on Linux

Default BW10 in Wine or Crossover on Linux

In the hopes of using BW10 as is for years to come, I'm hoping to connect with users who have run BW10 on Linux with Wine or Crossover Office. If we can run BW10 on the Linux desktop this may provide added stability and ability to run BW10 regardless of what MS does with Windows (especially since in the last year they dismantled their Windows development team in a company reorganization). Because of the opensource nature of Linux distributions, there is a good chance that an opensource desktop operating system for personal computers will keep running for 10+ years. As an example, a popular desktop on Linux was Gnome 2 which basically was left by Gnome developers in 2013 who built Gnome 3, but the opensource community stepped in and took the original code and created the MATE desktop which still functions like Gnome 2 with modern improvements in 2018.

So, in attempting to get BW10 to run on Wine, I have run into the following issues, and I hope that BW10 users have found solutions:

1. Some resources don't display like Wallace Grammer and others that use the chm viewer. Dictionaries like Holladay open and display fine in their separate windows, so I'm guess it has to do with the chm viewer looking for something installed on every Windows system. Is there a workaround for Wine?

2. Icons/buttons for the main toolbar and the editor toolbars don't appear. They appeared and worked the first time I opened BW10 on Wine, but after closing and restarting BW10 the icons/buttons were all gone. I can bring up the toolbar editor, but nothing appears on the toolbars. On closing does BW10 try to save config files for the toolbars in a place that is not accessible in Wine?

It is also possible that this is only an issue on Wine or PlayonLinux which I'm using on Debian Stable 9.4. If these are not issues in Crossover which has commercial support, I would like to know that, because I'm not opposed to spending money on Crossover to keep BW10 working long term.

Hi Steve,

I have installed and run BibleWorks 10 successfully on Ubuntu 16.04 and Lubuntu (I think it was 18). There are a couple of glitches in it, but it works pretty well. I also tried it using Crossover, but the issues seem to be the same whether on Wine or on Crossover. The CHMs work on the Ubuntu builds. The graphical tool bar does not display. The text menu bar works, but it requires pressing the 'Alt-f' or other shortcut key for the menu to display. I also found that the scroll buttons in the Browse Window like to stick and keep the text scrolling for a while. You can change the default Browse Window scrolling option so that you can use the keyboard arrows to scroll the Browse Window. This seems to work fine.

These are the issues that I have found. There may be others, but I haven't seen them. Running BW 10 on Linux using Wine is a great option for keeping BibleWorks running for a very, very long time. I expect that long after my Windows computers will stop working, that I can still run BibleWorks 10 on Linux using Wine.

Blessings,
    Glenn
    Glenn Weaver

Thanks, Glen, for jumping into this thread with your experiences in Wine and Crossover. I will try an install on Ubuntu 18.04 soon. That should have more up to date packages of Wine. Hopefully, I will be able to view the CHM files, that would be a huge improvement. I'm kind of glad to hear that you have toolbar issues too. I also can get the menubar to display by using the ALT key. It sounds like we have the same issues. I hope that either Wine improves or an easy tweak can be done to get BW10 to work well with Wine on Linux because I also believe that I can keep a computer running Linux longer than I can depend on Windows for the future. If the Lord gives me 20 more years of ministry, I hope to be able to use BW10 during them.

As Steve already mentioned, I agree that BW10 on Linux is a very good option for those considering using it as long as possible.

It looks even more attractive now that the latest Chromebooks can run Windows programs under the Wine compatibility layer, as well as Android and Linux apps. A few years down the road, I might consider getting a Chromebook so that I can run all the apps in a single device.

I have been using BW10 on Ubuntu Linux 18.04 (Wine 3.0) for a week, and I am very pleased with it. As BW has always been, itís quick and responsive on Linux.

As already noted, there are a few minor issues with the toolbar buttons and the text menu bar not appearing (requiring ALT be pressed for the text menu bar).

Another issue is Vs1/Vs2 failing to synchronize with the verses. This occurs intermittently. I donít know if this is a Linux-specific issue since I no longer use Windows.

I would also appreciate hearing from any BW10 user who has tried Crossover.

--James Kang

Quote Originally Posted by jamesk View Post
    I have been using BW10 on Ubuntu Linux 18.04 (Wine 3.0) for a week, and I am very pleased with it. As BW has always been, itís quick and responsive on Linux. As already noted, there are a few minor issues with the toolbar buttons and the text menu bar not appearing (requiring ALT be pressed for the text menu bar).
    --James Kang
    James,
    How do you use BW10 without the toolbar buttons? I can live without the main program toolbar most days, but the lack of toolbars in the editor window really is difficult to deal with, because there are not keyboard shortcuts to my knowledge for every toolbar button in the editor, like formatting bullet points. For example, I would like to point the verse/chapter notes to a different directory, but that is a toolbar button command too. Maybe, I'm missing an obvious solution.

Hi Steve,

I understand that the lack of toolbars can be a more serious issue for other users. The Editor window is something that Iíve never used. I have always used LibreOffice for notes. I noticed the toolbar disappearing from BW9, and Iíve become accustomed to living without it.

The disappearance of text menus is something new with BW10.

I wish there are solutions to these issues, but so far, at least in my daily use of BW10, Iíve been able to perform the tasks efficiently.

--James

Quote Originally Posted by jamesk View Post
    The Editor window is something that Iíve never used. I have always used LibreOffice for notes.
    Thanks, James, for responding. Years ago, when I used the first versions of Logos, its notes editor was so buggy that I never used it, but kept a MS Word document open for notes. One of the great joys I find in using Bibleworks is the editor. I would really miss taking notes in the editor and having them appear automatically when I open a verse for study. It is really neat to have instant access to all of my notes when I open a verse because I have my personal notes and quotes from commentaries and devotions from other pastors written on the verse too. Glad to hear LibreOffice works well for your notes though, because that is a wonderful program too.

Quote Originally Posted by stevedaley View Post
    1. Some resources don't display like Wallace Grammer and others that use the chm viewer. Dictionaries like Holladay open and display fine in their separate windows, so I'm guess it has to do with the chm viewer looking for something installed on every Windows system. Is there a workaround for Wine?
    This is easily fixed (it's why it works in some builds and not others) Ė in a terminal window, go to the following location:

cd /usr/share/wine/gecko

If this does not exist then:

cd /usr/share/wine
    sudo mkdir gecko

Then:

sudo wget http://dl.winehq.org/wine/wine-gecko...o-2.47-x86.msi

And if you are on a 64-bit system you will need to do this as well:

sudo wget http://dl.winehq.org/wine/wine-gecko....47-x86_64.msi

(For more details on installing Gecko in Wine, see here: https://wiki.winehq.org/Gecko)

I imagine there'll be a similar fix for the invisible toolbar buttons Ė Wine will be looking for something that isn't there, but working out what it is is the trick!

Quote Originally Posted by stevedaley View Post
    James,
    How do you use BW10 without the toolbar buttons? I can live without the main program toolbar most days, but the lack of toolbars in the editor window really is difficult to deal with, because there are not keyboard shortcuts to my knowledge for every toolbar button in the editor, like formatting bullet points. For example, I would like to point the verse/chapter notes to a different directory, but that is a toolbar button command too. Maybe, I'm missing an obvious solution.
    Thank You all for this thread.

I was using BW10 on Debian Jessie using VmWare WorkStation 10 with Win7.
    Than I upgrade Jessie to Stretch. I found out I was required to also upgrade to VmWare 14.
    When I did BW10 no longer worked on Vmware 14. on Win7. (My other windows programs work ok with VmWare WS 14)
    SO I installed wine and got BW10 running.
    SO I wanted to do a Greek word search so I selected the Keyboard Icon.
    When I did I got a dialog box saying it wants a Keyboard Applet, so I guess Wine doesn't install a few things like some applets BW might use.
    The help files worked once I installed Gecko for wine.

Thank you again
    Dave Rogers

Just an FYI, I got my whole Toolbar to display when I did a ALT-f ->view->Toolbar->Initialize Main Toolbar

But when I quit BW and come back I have to do the same again, the Toolbar isn't persistent.

Dave Rogers