Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: BW10 in Wine or Crossover on Linux

Quote Originally Posted by stevedaley View Post
    1. Some resources don't display like Wallace Grammer and others that use the chm viewer. Dictionaries like Holladay open and display fine in their separate windows, so I'm guess it has to do with the chm viewer looking for something installed on every Windows system. Is there a workaround for Wine?
    Yes. You need to install Gecko under Wine. I did try posting a how-to, but it seems to have got stuck in some moderation queue.

2. Icons/buttons for the main toolbar and the editor toolbars don't appear. They appeared and worked the first time I opened BW10 on Wine, but after closing and restarting BW10 the icons/buttons were all gone. I can bring up the toolbar editor, but nothing appears on the toolbars. On closing does BW10 try to save config files for the toolbars in a place that is not accessible in Wine?
    This is about what version of Windows you're telling Wine to emulate. Try setting it in winecfg to something newer than XP (Windows 10 works).

I just wrote a guide for a streamlined process for installing BW10 in WINE using PlayOnLinux.
    The guide is here: http://research.mattzab.com/2018/07/...ntu-linux.html
    If ya'll have any suggestions for changes or updates, I'd love to know!
    I appreciate both the Linux community and the Bibleworks community. Fun having both in one place!

Matt

Default Wine 4.0 and Toolbar Buttons Work!

Iíve just upgraded Wine to 4.0, and I am pleased to report that the BW10 toolbar buttons and the text menu bar appear correctly, even after relaunching the program.

For installing Wine 4.0 on Ubuntu, see:

https://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2019/01/wine-4-0

In case itís not already enabled, you need to enable the main toolbar by:

View > Toolbar > Show Main Toolbar
    View > Toolbar > Initialize Main Toolbar

My computer is running on Ubuntu 18.10

--James Kang

That's great news, James! Thank you for letting us know! I saw yesterday that Wine 4.0 was released, and I hoped that it included fixes for the BibleWorks issues.

Blessings,
    Glenn
    Glenn Weaver

Name:  Bibleworks-umate.png
Views: 106
Size:  120.6 KB

Thanks to jamesk and mattzab for their helpful hints in installing BW10 on Wine 4.0. I have done so on Ubuntu Mate 18.10, but I was wondering if anyone else had issues with the Notes and Editor tabs. As you can see from the attached png the latest version of BW10 is running, but where you would expect to find the notes window to make your notes, you see it is all just a giant gray box like the whole tab is just the button bar. I can't click into it to get a cursor.

Are others using Wine 4.0 having similar issues?
    Any other issues in using Bibleworks 10 on Wine?

Default BW10 in Wine 4.0.1

Quote Originally Posted by stevedaley
    Are others using Wine 4.0 having similar issues?
    Any other issues in using Bibleworks 10 on Wine?
    I just installed BW10 in wine 4.0.1 in ubuntu 16.04 LTS. The editor and notes tabs work just fine for me.

Name:  Screenshot_2019-06-19_23-02-35.png
Views: 55
Size:  83.1 KB

Attachment 1792

I did this on an Acer C720 chromebook using crouton. I am very happy with how it works. I had previously installed it using playonlinux and an older version of wine and it kept crashing. I just went with wine this time and everything works great. Real excited to be able to use it on my chromebook again!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by Paul G View Post
    I just installed BW10 in wine 4.0.1 in ubuntu 16.04 LTS. The editor and notes tabs work just fine for me.

I did this on an Acer C720 chromebook using crouton. I am very happy with how it works. I had previously installed it using playonlinux and an older version of wine and it kept crashing. I just went with wine this time and everything works great. Real excited to be able to use it on my chromebook again!
    Paul G, this is great news. Do you have a "how to" of how you installed BW10 by just using Wine 4.0.1? I have installed BW10 using playonlinux on Ubuntu Mate 19.04 so I'm thinking that perhaps if I did just a straight install of BW10 with the latest version of Wine that perhaps I would get the usage of the notes back.

Just curious can you copy and paste from BW10 into other programs or from other programs running on Linux into BW10? Also I'm amazed that you were able to have enough room on a chromebook with Crouton to install BW10 too. It takes up some serious space.