Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: BW10 in Wine or Crossover on Linux

Quote Originally Posted by stevedaley View Post
    1. Some resources don't display like Wallace Grammer and others that use the chm viewer. Dictionaries like Holladay open and display fine in their separate windows, so I'm guess it has to do with the chm viewer looking for something installed on every Windows system. Is there a workaround for Wine?
    Yes. You need to install Gecko under Wine. I did try posting a how-to, but it seems to have got stuck in some moderation queue.

2. Icons/buttons for the main toolbar and the editor toolbars don't appear. They appeared and worked the first time I opened BW10 on Wine, but after closing and restarting BW10 the icons/buttons were all gone. I can bring up the toolbar editor, but nothing appears on the toolbars. On closing does BW10 try to save config files for the toolbars in a place that is not accessible in Wine?
    This is about what version of Windows you're telling Wine to emulate. Try setting it in winecfg to something newer than XP (Windows 10 works).

I just wrote a guide for a streamlined process for installing BW10 in WINE using PlayOnLinux.
    The guide is here: http://research.mattzab.com/2018/07/...ntu-linux.html
    If ya'll have any suggestions for changes or updates, I'd love to know!
    I appreciate both the Linux community and the Bibleworks community. Fun having both in one place!

Matt

Default Wine 4.0 and Toolbar Buttons Work!

Iíve just upgraded Wine to 4.0, and I am pleased to report that the BW10 toolbar buttons and the text menu bar appear correctly, even after relaunching the program.

For installing Wine 4.0 on Ubuntu, see:

https://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2019/01/wine-4-0

In case itís not already enabled, you need to enable the main toolbar by:

View > Toolbar > Show Main Toolbar
    View > Toolbar > Initialize Main Toolbar

My computer is running on Ubuntu 18.10

--James Kang

That's great news, James! Thank you for letting us know! I saw yesterday that Wine 4.0 was released, and I hoped that it included fixes for the BibleWorks issues.

Blessings,
    Glenn
    Glenn Weaver

Name:  Bibleworks-umate.png
Views: 201
Size:  120.6 KB

Thanks to jamesk and mattzab for their helpful hints in installing BW10 on Wine 4.0. I have done so on Ubuntu Mate 18.10, but I was wondering if anyone else had issues with the Notes and Editor tabs. As you can see from the attached png the latest version of BW10 is running, but where you would expect to find the notes window to make your notes, you see it is all just a giant gray box like the whole tab is just the button bar. I can't click into it to get a cursor.

Are others using Wine 4.0 having similar issues?
    Any other issues in using Bibleworks 10 on Wine?

Default BW10 in Wine 4.0.1

Quote Originally Posted by stevedaley
    Are others using Wine 4.0 having similar issues?
    Any other issues in using Bibleworks 10 on Wine?
    I just installed BW10 in wine 4.0.1 in ubuntu 16.04 LTS. The editor and notes tabs work just fine for me.

Name:  Screenshot_2019-06-19_23-02-35.png
Views: 152
Size:  83.1 KB

Attachment 1792

I did this on an Acer C720 chromebook using crouton. I am very happy with how it works. I had previously installed it using playonlinux and an older version of wine and it kept crashing. I just went with wine this time and everything works great. Real excited to be able to use it on my chromebook again!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by Paul G View Post
    I just installed BW10 in wine 4.0.1 in ubuntu 16.04 LTS. The editor and notes tabs work just fine for me.

I did this on an Acer C720 chromebook using crouton. I am very happy with how it works. I had previously installed it using playonlinux and an older version of wine and it kept crashing. I just went with wine this time and everything works great. Real excited to be able to use it on my chromebook again!
    Paul G, this is great news. Do you have a "how to" of how you installed BW10 by just using Wine 4.0.1? I have installed BW10 using playonlinux on Ubuntu Mate 19.04 so I'm thinking that perhaps if I did just a straight install of BW10 with the latest version of Wine that perhaps I would get the usage of the notes back.

Just curious can you copy and paste from BW10 into other programs or from other programs running on Linux into BW10? Also I'm amazed that you were able to have enough room on a chromebook with Crouton to install BW10 too. It takes up some serious space.

Default Where to find BibleWorks 10 iso??

Can someone point me to BW10.iso, also
    myllaptopiis is running manjaro... Has anyone successfully ran BW10 on Manjaro?.

Default Bw iso

Quote Originally Posted by Harold T View Post
    Can someone point me to BW10.iso, also
    myllaptopiis is running manjaro... Has anyone successfully ran BW10 on Manjaro?.
    Harold, you can find the BW10 iso on the bibleworks website: https://bibleworks.com/

Scroll down to the "Downloads" section and you can find the ISO as well as the mac installers.

Default BW10 in Wine 4.0.1

Quote Originally Posted by stevedaley View Post
    Paul G, this is great news. Do you have a "how to" of how you installed BW10 by just using Wine 4.0.1? I have installed BW10 using playonlinux on Ubuntu Mate 19.04 so I'm thinking that perhaps if I did just a straight install of BW10 with the latest version of Wine that perhaps I would get the usage of the notes back.

Just curious can you copy and paste from BW10 into other programs or from other programs running on Linux into BW10? Also I'm amazed that you were able to have enough room on a chromebook with Crouton to install BW10 too. It takes up some serious space.
    Steve,

I have never used Mate, so I cannot guaruntee that my instructions for installing on Ubuntu will give the same results for you. As always, YMMV. But yes, I have notes and the editor working just fine.

I have done this lately on two different chromebooks, running crouton and ubuntu 16.04. For the IDE, I am using xfce4, since it is very lightweight and works well on chromebooks. I hope the IDE doesn't have anything to do with it, but I have not tested with KDE or cinnamon or anything.

I am able to copy and paste just fine. I have copied many sections from the Hebrew into a script I wrote in python that puts it into a LaTeX format for me to use. I have never had any issues with this. I have not tried copying and pasting from my linux environment back into the chromeos environment - I keep it all within crouton. So if I need to copy into a web browser or something, I can just use chromium in ubuntu.

As to the space, chromebooks are awesome. But you are right, to use crouton it cannot be a bottom shelf chromebook. I have an Acer C720, which were very well known for being well powered. They had a full laptop i3 processor and 4Gb of RAM back in 2014 which was fairly unheard of. They were one of Acer's first forays into high powered chromebooks and I think they just put the i3 in there because that is what they had? Anyways, it is very fast on such a light OS. They also are fairly easy to work on, so I replaced the 32Gb M2 drive with a 128Gb M2 when I got it, which gives me plenty of room for crouton and BW10, and anything else I would need. I do not install the audio files or the manuscripts in BW10 on my chromebooks. This keeps BW10 down to a handful of GBs, which is enough even if I had kept the 32Gb drive. I have even replaced the battery since it is now 4 years old. Unfortunately, it just hit its EOL, so no more chromeOS updates for me. For this reason, I just got a new one. I ride the subway to work and work in BW10, so I wanted something a bit bigger since I get jostled around on the train a lot and don't like squinting at a tiny screen. So I picked up a Lenovo C630 when it was onsale back in July. It has 128Gb of storage, and a 15 inch screen. I put crouton on it (for anyone interested, even though chromeOS can run linux apps directly, it does not handle switching input methods within the linux apps very well. Chrome "steals" the kepyboard shortcuts for things like ibus, so it is difficult to type in linux in other languages, such as Hebrew and Greek. I have a bug report in Chromium for this, but apparently I am the only person since it is low priority and has not been worked on in a long time: https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=866681). So I still run in crouton on the new chromebook. I did the same thing, installed BW10 through wine and everything worked fine. This isn't a post about chromeOS and chromebooks, but just in case anyone else googles and finds this.

Here are the rough outline of steps that I did:

1. Install wine 4.0.1. The instructions here are good in general, but will install whatever the latest stable wine is: https://wiki.winehq.org/Ubuntu. I would recommend wine-stable. The key thing is that if you use wine itself, you will need to uninstall any other versions of wine (like playonlinux) before installing this. That will delete any version of BW10 you already have.
    2. After you have installed wine, you will need the BW10 installation files. If you have the ISO, all you have to do is to mount the ISO to a folder.
    3. Go to this folder, and run "wine installer.exe". In this case, replace "installer.exe" with whatever the name of the installer file is. I don't remember and I don't have the ISO downloaded right now.
    4. If this is your first time using this instance of wine, it will ask if you want to install to install Gecko and Mono. You will want to say yes and follow the instructions.
    5. Do the normal BW10 installation
    6. After it has installed, you will want to run it. Unlike PlayonLinux, it does not create a desktop shortcut for you. You will need to run from the command line. This part is a bit tricky. See section 3.1.1.1 in the documentation for how to use wine to start your program: https://wiki.winehq.org/Wine_User%27...ing_wine_start. You can see that you can use either DOS or UNIX pathnames, wine can handle both.
    7. Wine creates its own C:\ directory. Usually this directory is in your home, so it would be something like
      Code:
      ~/.wine/drive_c
      So you could go there and run it. The problem, is that for BW10 to work, you need to start it in a specific directory. You can do this in wine using the
      Code:
      /d
      param.
    8. So what I did was create a bash script in my home directory that I can run. I decided to use the Windows pathnames so I wouldn't have to use an escape sequence for all the spaces in the folder names. What it does is start BW10 and put the current directory in the BW10 folder. Here is my code:
      Code:
      #!/bin/bash
      wine start /d "C:\\Program Files (x86)\\BibleWorks 10" "C:\\Program Files (x86)\\BibleWorks 10\\bw1000.exe"

Sorry about the weird code placements. I could not find an option in the editor for inline code.

Hopefully this helps!