Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: BW10 in Wine or Crossover on Linux

Paul G,
    This is a great set of instructions. I will have to give it a try on my home machine which is on Fedora and my Church office laptop which is running Ubuntu MATE. From what you describe in your instructions, I don't think it will matter what Desktop Environment someone is using.

Quote Originally Posted by stevedaley View Post
    Thanks, Glen, for jumping into this thread with your experiences xender discord omegle in Wine and Crossover. I will try an install on Ubuntu 18.04 soon. That should have more up to date packages of Wine. Hopefully, I will be able to view the CHM files, that would be a huge improvement. I'm kind of glad to hear that you have toolbar issues too. I also can get the menubar to display by using the ALT key. It sounds like we have the same issues. I hope that either Wine improves or an easy tweak can be done to get BW10 to work well with Wine on Linux because I also believe that I can keep a computer running Linux longer than I can depend on Windows for the future. If the Lord gives me 20 more years of ministry, I hope to be able to use BW10 during them.
    1. Some resources don't display like Wallace Grammer and others that use the chm viewer. Dictionaries like Holladay open and display fine in their separate windows, so I'm guess it has to do with the chm viewer looking for something installed on every Windows system. Is there a workaround for Wine?
    Last edited by GATYRA; 10-25-2019 at 07:57 PM.

Used Paul G's instructions again, and once again they worked great in Fedora 32 on a new hard drive install.

Additional questions for those who run this under Wine on Linux.

1. I'm wondering if anyone else has had issues with the fonts looking a little off? In my notes I notice that the Greek and Hebrew fonts are not as readable as in the Browse window. I also use Liberation Serif a lot on my Linux computer and in my LibreOffice documents which is the Times New Roman equivalent. That seems to look off in the notes window like it is out of focus, but Arial looks crisp and clean. I'm guessing this has something to do with the way that fonts are accessed in Wine, but I was wondering if anyone has a fix for this?

2. Does anyone know where the BW10 icon is found? I would like to use that icon, but I can't seem to find the graphic file anywhere so that I can use it with my .desktop file that runs the bash script that starts BW10 on Linux in Wine.

Thanks everyone.

I've always used Windows at home because of games (mostly MMORPGs and a few standalone RPGs). I don't like the direction 10 is taking so I'd like to try to play on Linux and see if a jump is feasible (I'm not completely new on Linux). I'm aware that some games may have problems or not run at all but even if I can use Linux half of the time it'll be enough for me (for now at least). I used Crossover several years ago for office applications and it worked pretty well, it was very easy to setup and manage. Lately I'm seeing many people saying good things about PlayOnLinux but I never used it so I was wondering what the differences are.I've always used Windows at home because of games (mostly MMORPGs and a few standalone RPGs). I don't like the direction 10 is taking so I'd like to try to play on Linux and see if a jump is feasible (I'm not completely new on Linux). I'm tplinklogin aware that some games may have problems or not run at all but even if I can use Linux half of the time it'll be enough for me (for now at least). I used Crossover several years ago for office applications and it worked pretty well, it was very easy to setup and manage. Lately I'm seeing many people saying good things about PlayOnLinux but I never used it so I was wondering what the differences are
    Last edited by addomannim; 08-09-2020 at 07:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by addomannim View Post
    I've always used Windows at home because of games (mostly MMORPGs and a few standalone RPGs). I don't like the direction 10 is taking so I'd like to try to play on Linux and see if a jump is feasible (I'm not completely new on Linux). I'm aware that some games may have problems or not run at all but even if I can use Linux half of the time it'll be enough for me (for now at least). I used Crossover several years ago for office applications and it worked pretty well, it was very easy to setup and manage. Lately I'm seeing many people saying good things about PlayOnLinux but I never used it so I was wondering what the differences are.I've always used Windows at home because of games (mostly MMORPGs and a few standalone RPGs). I don't like the direction 10 is taking so I'd like to try to play on Linux and see if a jump is feasible (I'm not completely new on Linux). I'm aware that some games may have problems or not run at all but even if I can use Linux half of the time it'll be enough for me (for now at least). I used Crossover several years ago for office applications and it worked pretty well, it was very easy to setup and manage. Lately I'm seeing many people saying good things about PlayOnLinux but I never used it so I was wondering what the differences are
    addmannim, you would have better luck asking this question in a Linux Gaming forum. This forum is for the support of a Windows program called Bibleworks which is a Bible study tool. The references to Wine and PlayOnLinux in this thread have to do with peoples experiences in getting Bibleworks to run on Linux using wine or PlayOnLinux. I would encourage you to ask this same question on a forum that specializes in running Windows games on Linux, they would be able to help you figure out if the games you want to play are playable on Linux or not, better than the participants of this forum could help.