Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Technical questions as BibleWorks closes down

[QUOTE=DavidR;35594]The closure announcement (here or here, for reference) indicates that the program as installed will of course continue to function. That's the advantage of locally-installed software and databases, as opposed to cloud-based. It also indicates that "compatibility updates" will continue "well into the future"--for BW 10 only, naturally.

The announcement also indicates that in order to install or reinstall BibleWorks later on, we need to:
    1. Keep our BibleWorks activation codes in a safe place.
    2. BibleWorks 10: Download a final installation media image in July to use for future installations.

Sorry to be so naive, but when and where will the "final installation media image" appear and what kind of file do we download it into? I have no experience whatsoever with this.
    Many thanks for any help, Diane

Diane M Sharon, Ph.D.
    DianeMSharon.weebly.com

Quote Originally Posted by Diane View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidR View Post
    .... The announcement also indicates that in order to install or reinstall BibleWorks later on, we need to:
    1. Keep our BibleWorks activation codes in a safe place.
    2. BibleWorks 10: Download a final installation media image in July to use for future installations.
    Sorry to be so naive, but when and where will the "final installation media image" appear and what kind of file do we download it into? I have no experience whatsoever with this.
    Many thanks for any help, Diane

Diane M Sharon, Ph.D.
    DianeMSharon.weebly.com
    Not naive at all, Diane. This is unfamiliar territory for everyone! My understanding is that this "final installation media image" will be available on the BibleWorks Website sometime this month. I know no more than that. I won't start checking for a week or so, knowing how swamped they are.

I would guess (only a guess!) that this "image" will be either an .exe file or, perhaps more likely, an .iso file. The latter are (I think) sort of bundled files that include what needs to be unpacked to install a program and its components. I believe the Windows operating system will know what to do with that when you download it to your computer and click on it. But I expect that it will be a very large file, and so will take a good Internet connection and some patience to download. I would add that hardly anyone (including me!) has experience with downloading and installing such a file, so hopefully there will be instructions provided.

Having reached and exceeded the limits of my actual knowledge, I hope someone will chime in with any other available facts!
    David Rensberger
    Atlanta, Georgia

Default ISO image

I will post a note here when it is posted. It will be an ISO file. All you do is download it. Then double click on the file and Windows will mount it as a drive.
    Mike

Great!!!!

Thanks Mike. Happy Independence Day!!!

Gilbert

Thanks, Mike! I hope that, when the ISO is posted, those who download and run it first will create a thread here to report on the process and the results, for the sake of the less experienced or adventurous!
    David Rensberger
    Atlanta, Georgia

Default Download activity

The download activity in regard to the final .iso file, will probably not follow the download activity pattern of the past. Mike will post a message that he has placed the .iso file for download, and there will be a "spike" in downloads for a few days. We know it will be a large file (probably in excess of 22 GB) and even with a high speed internet connection will require the patience of Job. While you are downloading, this might be a good time to study the book of Job.

Quote Originally Posted by ERINCORRIGAN View Post
    The download activity in regard to the final .iso file, will probably not follow the download activity pattern of the past. Mike will post a message that he has placed the .iso file for download, and there will be a "spike" in downloads for a few days. We know it will be a large file (probably in excess of 22 GB) and even with a high speed internet connection will require the patience of Job. While you are downloading, this might be a good time to study the book of Job.
    Ha! Excellent thoughts, Erin!
    David Rensberger
    Atlanta, Georgia

It would be great if someone could download and then copy to thumb drives and offer them for sale. I would pay to have this available on a thumb drive rather than download.

Default Further clarification

A little further clarification. When the ISO is posted we will give you a link where you enter your BW10 activation code and you will be sent a download link. That code will also be necessary to install the program. We may at a later date, after the initial storm, make the ISO available directly but it will also and always require an activation code to install.

Mike

Default EMail with download link

Will everybody get an email with download link, also if BW10 was bought on a usb-stick?
    MikeP