Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Technical questions as BibleWorks closes down

Default Technical questions as BibleWorks closes down

As we are all reeling from the shock of the closing of BibleWorks, I want to start this thread specifically for us to discuss the technical issues that users will face in the coming days, months, and years. General expressions of gratitude or dismay are accumulating in other threads. I'd like to restrict this one to technical questions (in the broadest sense). Some of us may be able to answer as well as ask them. I don't know whether Mike B. or other BW staff are in a position to join in.

Taking a deep breath....
    Last edited by DavidR; 06-01-2018 at 01:40 PM.
    David Rensberger
    Atlanta, Georgia

The closure announcement (here or here, for reference) indicates that the program as installed will of course continue to function. That's the advantage of locally-installed software and databases, as opposed to cloud-based. It also indicates that "compatibility updates" will continue "well into the future"--for BW 10 only, naturally.

The announcement also indicates that in order to install or reinstall BibleWorks later on, we need to:
    1. Keep our BibleWorks activation codes in a safe place.
    2. BibleWorks 10: Download a final installation media image in July to use for future installations.
    3. Versions prior to 10: Back up the BW folder now, and use the original installation media to install BibleWorks later on, followed by a restoration of the backup.

That seems reasonably clear. I think having, say, two physical and two cloud backups of my whole BW 10 install sounds about right, though. And maybe another on a chip implanted in my body. What's not clear to me is how BW 10 users will apply our unlock codes when we install to a new computer. Hasn't that required online verification of the code in the past? Will the "final installation media image" handle that?

Please chime in with other questions and answers of a technical nature!
    David Rensberger
    Atlanta, Georgia

Quote Originally Posted by DavidR View Post
    What's not clear to me is how BW 10 users will apply our unlock codes when we install to a new computer. Hasn't that required online verification of the code in the past? Will the "final installation media image" handle that?
    THIS is one of the first things that popped into my head. Especially since my plan is to upgrade my PC next spring.

Dave
    David Spear
    Calvary Chapel of Manassas
    Manassas, Va. 20110
    http://www.calvarychapelmanassas.org/
    KJV Romans 3:28 Therefore we conclude that a man is justified by faith without (apart from) the deeds of the law.

There's a "Manual Activation" option, but I'm afraid it's based on the specific hardware BibleWorks is installed on. However there are workarounds that I'm sure we're not allowed to discuss here.

I was wondering how we will do the updates that contain the resources that have been added since BW10 came out (like the Expositor's Greek Testament and Lange's commentary)?

Kevin
    Prof. Kevin W. Woodruff, M. Div., M. S. I. S.
    Special Collections and Special Projects Librarian/Instructor in Christian Studies
    Bryan College Library
    Box 7793
    Bryan College
    721 Bryan College Drive
    Dayton, Tennessee 37321
    United States of America
    kwoodruff3540@bryan.college
    cierpke@prodigy.net
    423/775-7430 (office)
    812/821-4512 (mobile)

Default Exporting Note Files from BW

So I've got 20 years of verse notes in Bibleworks.

How do I export them to HTML files in mass?

To get them as functional RTF files can I simply change the file extension from BWW to RTF?

I'll probably end up moving to Accordance after I rob a bank. But would love to be able to have access to them in Accordance.

I just spoke with Accordance and they want the files as HTML files, but if I try to export to HTML from BW Notes tab running on a Mac, It says this has been disabled. Am I missing something? Or has this not been enabled on the Mac version.

Todd

Default BWW to RTF

Quote Originally Posted by tcleek View Post
    So I've got 20 years of verse notes in Bibleworks.

How do I export them to HTML files in mass?

To get them as functional RTF files can I simply change the file extension from BWW to RTF?

I'll probably end up moving to Accordance after I rob a bank. But would love to be able to have access to them in Accordance.

I just spoke with Accordance and they want the files as HTML files, but if I try to export to HTML from BW Notes tab running on a Mac, It says this has been disabled. Am I missing something? Or has this not been enabled on the Mac version.

Todd
    The *.BWW files are just RTF files so you just have to rename them *.RTF. Some things particular to BibleWorks will not work though, like verse reference popups. But all the conntent should be OK.

I would strongly recomment if you have BW10 to just keep using it. It isn't going to die. We will continue to provide Windows compatibility updates for the forseeable future. Some people are still using 15 years old versions which we have not supported for many years. This change should not affect you and you don't need to switch to another program. We have gone to great panes to insure that current users are not left out in the cold.

Mike

Default Updates

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin W. Woodruff View Post
    I was wondering how we will do the updates that contain the resources that have been added since BW10 came out (like the Expositor's Greek Testament and Lange's commentary)?

Kevin
    This is covered in the announcement. For now all the patches are still there. But at some point we will post a CD image (ISO) containing installation files and all updates. That and your activation codes is all you will need going forward.

Mike

Default Exporting Notes

One option to keep in mind for exporting multiple notes is the Report Generator. This tool can export a subset or even all of your chapter- and verse-based notes into one RTF file. This tool makes the process very easy. From there you can open the RTF file using Word, or LibreOffice, etc. to save the file as an HTML, if that is what you need. If you have a very large set of notes, you might want to export them by Biblical book, instead of into one RTF file. The Help file, the videos, and the Classroom Tips offer suggestions that may be helpful to you.

Blessings,
    Glenn
    Glenn Weaver

Default Online Activation Codes

Quote Originally Posted by calvary View Post
    THIS is one of the first things that popped into my head. Especially since my plan is to upgrade my PC next spring.

Dave
    The activation server will remain online for some time. If and when it goes away we will have a solution. So this is something you don't need to worry about. You will be able to install BW10 on new and old Windows systems for the foreseeable future. And that is all any software package can promise.

Mike