Thread: The discontinuation of BW is devastating news

Default The discontinuation of BW is devastating news

I don't want to be melodramatic, but on this level, this is absolutely devastating to me.

I have recommended BibleWorks to literally thousands of people. I have given it to pastors. I tell every pastor that the one program he must get is BibleWorks. Then Logos, if he can. But start with BW. I can't imagine how many have taken my advice.

Nothing does what BW does, to my knowledge.

I cannot exaggerate, and you cannot imagine, the IMMENSE INVESTMENT of labor and thought and research I have in BW. I've put everything there countless hours of research, of findings; of notes from journal articles, commentaries, authorities, resources, web pages, sermons charts, graphics. Personal insights. Outlines. There are thousands of individual-verse notes (some of them HUGE files), User Lexicon entries.

I'm 62. I planned to "will" my files to a younger man as my legacy. I can't exaggerate what a goldmine are in those notes.

I assumed there was a contract between BW and us, in effect. We invested unreservedly and trustingly in their software, it'd always be there for us.

This is...I'm starting the daily devotional routine I've done for years and years, and it's BibleWorks. Has been for years. I don't even have a main hard-copy Bible I read; I read BibleWorks, because it holds ALL my notes.

I just...this is horrendous news. Horrendous.

Plus, I'm bracing for all the emails, tweets, DMs and all from the folks I've gotten into BW, asking, "What do I do now? You got me into this."

I have zero answer.

Commenters in this twitter thread are suggesting making BW open source so others can keep it viable: https://goo.gl/jkSaZ3

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Phillips View Post
    Commenters in this twitter thread are suggesting making BW open source so others can keep it viable: https://goo.gl/jkSaZ3
    Making it OpenSource would be great, but their licensing model might make this difficult. They have never provided the base software separately from the ebook resources. Almost everything is integrated.

The Sword project (and a lot of bible software based thereon) is Open Source with some locked commercial modules. Maybe this would be feasible for BW. Netscape is still alive after 20 years (as Firefox), because the company open-sourced it.

I hope they will reply to these requests.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Phillips View Post
    Making it OpenSource would be great, but their licensing model might make this difficult. They have never provided the base software separately from the ebook resources. Almost everything is integrated.

The Sword project (and a lot of bible software based thereon) is Open Source with some locked commercial modules. Maybe this would be feasible for BW. Netscape is still alive after 20 years (as Firefox), because the company open-sourced it.

I hope they will reply to these requests.

I feel the same way. There are 3 threads started here. I'm going to make my main reply to this one, started by ChrisW. It would be nice if we could consolidate the responses.
    David Rensberger
    Atlanta, Georgia