Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: BibleWorks is closing... - where do you go from here?

Quote Originally Posted by ejh View Post
    Is there any web link that I can download the BW10 online? I have the activation code.
    Esther
    Maybe you should start a new thread with your question, as only few people will see it here. You may need to contact customer support. For downloading try the following page:

Downloading BW from outside of the USA
    https://bibleworks.com/dd/bw10_intl.php

You will need a very good internet connection for the 21GB file. Which country are you in?

Default Not swayed by the Accordance cross-grade

I've looked into the Accordance crossgrade, but unless I'm mistaken, its still a lot of money for much less than I presently get in BW9 with the modules I've acquired over the years for much less money.
    I also haven't been able to find the Accordance equivalent of the context tab for discovering keywords etc.
    This has made me really appreciate even more how good the Bibleworks company has been to us over the years.

There's also now a Logos cross grade and upgrade option, https://www.logos.com/bibleworks
    Although Logos obviously doesn't have the speed of Bibleworks.
    Duncan Forbes
    New Life Church, Roehampton, London
    www.newlifelondon.com
    www.duncanf.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisW View Post
    .... I wish book resources could be licensed separately from the underlying software engine, so we would not suffer loss from vendor lock-in, especially when a company goes out of business. I think, I have paid for the NKJV on four or five different platforms over the years. A license for the NKJV, BDAG or HALOT should be valid, whether you first bought it in BW, Logos, Accordance, OliveTree, Laridian or Kindle. (Similar to songs bought on a CD or in iTunes, which can be transferred to an iPhone or a Huawei phone. You don't have to rebuy these licensed songs, just because a new music player comes out.)
    Chris, this is a good thought. I certainly have bought both original-language texts and translations in both BibleWorks and OliveTree (and, years ago, QuickVerse). On the one hand, we are rightly expected to understand that buying/licensing the text is like buying any copyrighted text. On the other hand, it is supposed to seem natural to buy the same text repeatedly in different formats! Of course, one can do that with books; I have both hardcover and paperback versions of study Bibles, for instance. Yet somehow that doesn't feel like the same thing.
    David Rensberger
    Atlanta, Georgia

I have been thinking about this for a week:
    Would it be possible/legal to purchase a bunch of copies of BW10 now, and then re-sell them (at cost + shipping) to people who may have missed the deadline, or didn't have money now?
    I could do so, and perhaps start a thread, where people could get them. I could afford a couple dozen copies, if that would help (until, God willing, BW finds another re-seller).
    Christ's,
    Mark Eddy

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Eddy View Post
    I have been thinking about this for a week:
    Would it be possible/legal to purchase a bunch of copies of BW10 now, and then re-sell them (at cost + shipping) to people who may have missed the deadline, or didn't have money now?
    I could do so, and perhaps start a thread, where people could get them. I could afford a couple dozen copies, if that would help (until, God willing, BW finds another re-seller).
    Christ's,
    Mark Eddy
    This idea sounds ok. If you have the fund, this should work.
    Last edited by shalommatt; 06-15-2018 at 09:42 PM.

I would like to express my thanks to the fine people at Bibleworks for many years of faithful service. I was first exposed to Bibleworks in the mid 90s in seminary, where I used my professor's copy every chance I got. I managed to purchase an older copy of Bibleworks (version 4, I believe) from another student after graduating, and used it extensively in the early years of my ministry. When I could afford to do so, I purchased version 8 almost ten years after that.

In the intervening years, especially after moving to Mac, I used most all the major Bible softwares, whether free or commercial: Online Bible, Crossways Sword, Logos, Accordance, and others I have forgotten. None of them worked quite so well for me as Bibleworks. While the databases of the competition eventually surpassed Bibleworks (especially the fully-tagged Bible versions other than the KJV and NKJV), the Bibleworks search experience, capabilities, and command line is still the best there is, and its speed is still unmatched by all the competition. Until the very end, it had the best bang for the buck, with a vastly larger library of foreign Bible versions in particular, that were included at no additional charge. These proved invaluable at various times when I had opportunity to minister to non-English speakers.

On a whim, when I had some extra cash earlier this year, I upgraded my dormant Bibleworks 8 license to 10, so I could use my old friend on Mac. I'm so glad I did. I'll continue to use Bibleworks until it gives its digital ghost. Verbum dei manet in Šternum.
    Last edited by mwdiers; 06-16-2018 at 11:47 PM.

Default With the recent news, how do I install BW on a machine I just bought?

Good Day,

I too was shocked to hear of the closing of Bibleworks. I've been a happy user for many years. I'm sad to see you go.

With that said, it appears that the closing has come at a most inconvenient time for me. I just purchased a new machine and am reinstalling all of my software. I removed Bibleworks from my old computer. I ran the BWDownloader on the new system and entered my activation code. I had two, as I had upgraded from a previous version. Neither code worked. I'm not sure if this has something to do with the closure. I sent an email to the contact email address, and then was hit with the news, and told to consult the forums. So here I am.

So, what's a guy like me to do now? Is there any way that I can get BW installed on my new computer? I still plan to use it as long as I can, if at all possible.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Dave

Default Thank you for your service to the church at large

I, too, wanted to chime in and say a tremendous thank you to all the BibleWorks staff. I was caught off guard and was surpised at my strong emotional reaction to the news of BW closing. Somehow I didn't see an email or any notification until I visited the forum today, 6/19/18. I have used BibleWorks for almost all of 28 years of pastoral ministry, and it has been by far the best tool for me. I have tried Logos, and it is so slow! The speed at which BibleWorks is able to function is fantastic.

Most of all, as BW has said, the focus is on the text. I have been able to retain the basic use of Hebrew and Greek for sermon and Bible study preparation, and this has been invaluable. I have been blessed to be able to upgrade almost every time, and I am so glad I have BW 10.

May the Lord bless Michael Bushell and all who have labored to give us this gift. I am praying that somehow, someway, BW may survive and continue in the future.

Thank you for the gift you have given to the church over these many years.

Alan Sommer
    Alan Sommer
    Pastor, Light of the Hills Lutheran Church
    Cameron Park, California

Quote Originally Posted by dnovick View Post
    Good Day,

I too was shocked to hear of the closing of Bibleworks. I've been a happy user for many years. I'm sad to see you go.

With that said, it appears that the closing has come at a most inconvenient time for me. I just purchased a new machine and am reinstalling all of my software. I removed Bibleworks from my old computer. I ran the BWDownloader on the new system and entered my activation code. I had two, as I had upgraded from a previous version. Neither code worked. I'm not sure if this has something to do with the closure. I sent an email to the contact email address, and then was hit with the news, and told to consult the forums. So here I am.

So, what's a guy like me to do now? Is there any way that I can get BW installed on my new computer? I still plan to use it as long as I can, if at all possible.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Dave
    Dave, you may want to start a new thread for this as it could get lost with the others. I am sorry, but I cannot assist you in this. Also, are you referring to BW10 or a prior version as that information may be important to someone that may be able to assist you.

Quote Originally Posted by jfidel View Post
    Dave, you may want to start a new thread for this as it could get lost with the others. I am sorry, but I cannot assist you in this. Also, are you referring to BW10 or a prior version as that information may be important to someone that may be able to assist you.

Will do. As this was my first post to the forum, it wouldn't let me create new posts. I think I can now.

I was referring to BW 10.

Dave