Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Compile Failure

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    14

    Default Compile Failure

    I am using an old version of BW, Version 5. At one time I remember experimenting with creating a version to add, and it seemed to work OK. I recently finished a more literal translation of the NT and would like to add it to BW. I followed the procedure in the help file, but it would not compile, citing "Invalid input string." I can't find anything wrong with the text file I am using. I am in doubt as to whether there needs to be a space between the book abbreviation and the chapter no., but I tried it both ways and it still fails in the first few verses. I even tried loading it into Wordpad, in case Open Office was leaving something hidden in the text, but the file saved from Wordpad doesn't work either. Any ideas? BTW, the only carriage returns are those between verses, and each verse has the book abbreviation, chapter and verse, as Mat1:1. Or Mat 1:1. No blank lines or other oddities that I know of. The problem is probably something simple, but I have no idea what it is.
    Ralph

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    9

    Default

    Hi Ralph,

    This works for me in BW10 (no period after the verse number):

    Mat 1:1 The record of the genealogy of Jesus Christ, the Son of David, the Son of Abraham:
    ...
    Mat 28:20 teaching them to observe everything that I have commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age." Amen.
    Mar 1:1 The beginning of the gospel of Jesus Christ, the Son of God.
    ...

    Make sure the file does not have any Unicode characters in it. I'm not sure about line endings. It can have any characters that are compatible with the Windows 1252 code page (look that up on Wikipedia if you need a reference).

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    14

    Default Period may be it

    I never thought about the period after the verse number. I'll change that and see what happens. Your help is greatly appreciated. Just realized that if that is the problem, It will be quite a task to change them all. I guess a global search and replace will work, but I will have to supply the numbers to avoid removing all the other periods. 1 through 9, won't be too bad. Thanks again.
    Ralph

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,104

    Default

    Yes, remove those periods! you can "replace all" 0. with 0 1. with 1 etc, up to 9. and get all of them.
    Mark Eddy

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    14

    Default Removal of periods

    What you suggest is exactly what I did. Except that my 84-year-old brain threw in a few glitches. Like forgett1ng to change the book name in the "replace" box after I changed it in the "seek" box. So part of Mar had Mat instead. I also used a space after the number and period to make sure I didn't remove something I didn't want to in the text. Some spaces were missing, so had to go back and fix those manually. I eventually got it cleaned up enough to compile and it works just fine. Now I have my own, more literal translation in with the NASB, KJV and, of course the Greek. For a while there, I wasn't sure I was ever going to get it to compile properly.

    RE: Version 5. I suppose I should upgrade, but it's a lot of dinero to put out when most of what 10 has that 5 doesn't is stuff I wouldn't use. I may have to, though. My desktop appeared to crash recently (wouldn't boot), and I had some material I needed to prepare and print out. Unfortunately, I had just bought a new printer that won't work with older versions of Windows, and my laptop still had XP on it. When it appeared the desktop was not going to boot up regardless of what I did, I replaced the OS on the laptop with Windows 7, which took away all my old software. And now I can't find my BibleWorks 5 disc in what my wife refers to as "The City Dump," otherwise known as my computer room/radio shack. I used to take my laptop to serrvices each Sunday, but no point now without BW. Of course, as soon as I put 7 on the laptop, my desktop decided to work again, and has worked fine ever since. When the 8088 was the king of CPUs, I knew a lot about computers. Now I readily admit to being a dummy.

    Thanks for the suggestion. I may have already implemented it, but I was glad to know that someone else thought that was the best way to do it. It would have been tough to find out there was a much easier way to do it.

    Ralph
    Last edited by hdshepherd; 05-29-2018 at 02:38 AM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •