Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Open exported Greek file in text editor

Default Open exported Greek file in text editor

Hello,

I'm having an issue and was wondering if I can get some help.

After exporting a Greek text using the "export database" tool, I try to open it in Sublime text editor, but all I get are characters like these:
    {\f2\fbidi \fmodern\fcharset0\fprq1{\*\panose 02070309020205020404}Courier New;}
    Export settings are set to Unicode and if I open the file with Word, it looks the way it should. But I'd rather not use Word, as it is really slow with such large files. I guess it has something to do with the encoding the editor is using when opening the file, but after changing it to almost every possible option without success, I gave up and came here to ask.

Thank you.

BibleWorks does not use Unicode internally, so exporting in Unicode makes the exported file unusable within Bibleworks. If I want to use it in BibleWorks (for example, to re-compile it) or to edit it in Wordpad, I export as a .txt file. If you can say what you intend to do with the exported database, someone might be able to advise you on the best way to export it.
    Mark Eddy

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Eddy View Post
    BibleWorks does not use Unicode internally, so exporting in Unicode makes the exported file unusable within Bibleworks. If I want to use it in BibleWorks (for example, to re-compile it) or to edit it in Wordpad, I export as a .txt file. If you can say what you intend to do with the exported database, someone might be able to advise you on the best way to export it.
    Mark Eddy
    Sorry for the very late reply, I had put it on hold...

I tried exporting in .txt and recompiling the exact same text file on BW, but all I get is gibberish. This time it does open in a text editor and is displayed fine, but when imported again into BW, I get different kind of weird characters, depending on whether I used CCAT or BW format during DB creation.

I want to be able to compile it in BW. I want to learn how to compile new Greek versions for BW and use them inside the program. But if I can't even import a file I just exported...

What I noticed opening one of the Greek files that is already in BW, is that when opened in a text editor, the Greek characters are displayed with latin letters. "βιβλος γενεσεως" would be "bibloj genesewj" (this one is without diacritics).

Ultimately I want to do the following: BW currently doesn't have the Elzevir 1633 Greek text. I have a .txt file, but without any diacritics. So I want to export the Stephanus version, which has them, edit the 40-50 differences ELZ and STE have in a text editor manually, using the STE file as base, then import for use. So I'd need to be able to 1) export Greek version in a format suitable for editting and 2) compile and import in BW.

It would help me diagnose your problem if you could copy a line of your "gibberish" to this forum, so I could see it. Depending on where you received the text, there may be formatting characters which could be removed by your text editor before compiling. Also, in your DDF editor, did you compile it in the language "Greek" or something else? Are you using the English keyboard or a different language keyboard? When I first compiled Greek databases which I received from outside the BibleWorks world, I saw that there are at least a couple other Greek transcription traditions into English characters. (E.g. one which you found: some use "s" for both internal and final sigma, but BibleWorks uses "j" for the final sigma.) So I had to work out a system to "replace all" in the editor in such a way that I did not mess myself up further. It can be done, but it takes some forethought. Also, adding accents, or detecting differences in accents between databases, would be very time consuming.
    Mark Eddy

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Eddy View Post
    It would help me diagnose your problem if you could copy a line of your "gibberish" to this forum, so I could see it. Depending on where you received the text, there may be formatting characters which could be removed by your text editor before compiling. Also, in your DDF editor, did you compile it in the language "Greek" or something else? Are you using the English keyboard or a different language keyboard? When I first compiled Greek databases which I received from outside the BibleWorks world, I saw that there are at least a couple other Greek transcription traditions into English characters. (E.g. one which you found: some use "s" for both internal and final sigma, but BibleWorks uses "j" for the final sigma.) So I had to work out a system to "replace all" in the editor in such a way that I did not mess myself up further. It can be done, but it takes some forethought. Also, adding accents, or detecting differences in accents between databases, would be very time consuming.
    Mark Eddy
    Thank you for the reply.

I only plan on replacing the word differences, so I don't think it would take that long.

I'm also not planning on using a text I got from "outside the BW world". I need to export a BW text, modify it, then back in it goes. The gibberish is inside the BW browse window, after importing a previously exported text, without any modification even. I tried, as per your suggestion in your first reply, to export as .txt, and without touching it, here are my setings for compiling. It's named "ref", because it's just a test file. It's the STE version. Then this is what I get inside BW, depending on whether I choose CCAT (bottom), or BW (top) format. It would be less weird for me, if it was an external text and not one exported by the same program minutes ago.

Copied from BW:
    [=ᅷ[ [[[(◦↔ [[Ϛ[ᅳ◦/[Ϛ◦^◦↔ ][◦/[(( [◦"[◦/◦[(( ◦][(( [?[[ [), ◦][(( ]+[ ◦"[ᅱ[] (Matt. 1:1 STE1)
    Copied from the text file:
    Mat 1:1 Βίβλος γενέσεως Ἰησοῦ Χριστοῦ υἱοῦ Δαβὶδ, υἱοῦ Ἀβραάμ
    In this folder you can check out the .txt file right after exporting, and the files created by BW after compiling.

Let me know if you need anything else and thank you again for your help.

I tried the procedure below and think that it produced the results that you want.

From the menu select Tools | Options ... | General | Fonts
    Make sure that the box before "Export Greek resources" is NOT checked
    .................If it is checked it will export STE as unicode file that contains Greek letters
    .................If it is not checked it will export STE as a text file that contains English letters
    Select Tools (again) | Importing/Exporting Information | Export Database | Version (select the version that you want to export)
    Make sure that no other boxes are checked.
    Click OK. Save as type: Text.

Check the exported text and make sure that the first line is Mat 1:1 Bi,bloj gene,sewj VIhsou/ Cristou/ ui`ou/ Dabi.d( ui`ou/ VAbraa,m if you are exporting STE again.

If you want to test the procedure before you make the changes select Tools (again) | Importing/Exporting Information | Version Database Compiler, choose ref.ddf (that you previously created)

Select the button Input in BW Format

When I first compile a text I always leave "Install after Compiliing" unchecked. After it compiles successfully I check it.
    There was a time when I was making some extensive changes to a text that I was compiling and repeated making changes and compiling again. It caused some trouble that I don't remember now, but I may have had to delete the .ini file and the database before I recovered from it. Ever since then I always test the changes in the text by first unchecking the Install box and when the compilation is successful then checking it.

I just compiled REF using the settings above and got REF Mat 1:1 Βίβλος γενέσεως Ἰησοῦ Χριστοῦ υἱοῦ Δαβὶδ, υἱοῦ Ἀβραάμ

To double check I then exported REF to an English text version named XXZ and compared the input file and the output file. They were identical except for Mat 19:17
    It appears that there is an error in the accenting for ο θεος in that verse. There should not be an accent after the space before the θ. Somehow the exporting and re-importing exposed that error. All of the BW versions that have ο θεος in that verse omit the accent. The final accent over the o in αγαθον in that same verse is also missing.

The help file for compiling is at Help | Contents | 67 Compiling Version Databases

• Accent Sensitive (Greek) - If this option is checked both accented and unaccented versions will be built.
    I think this is for accent sensitive searches, which I have never done and have always left it unchecked.

I have the BW BYZ text in a module that I have created that has no punctuation, no capitalization, and no other marks, only the Greek letters and spaces between the words, but with the verse references. If you are interested send me a private message, and I will send you the text file. You can easily compile it for yourself.
    Last edited by now john; 08-11-2018 at 05:20 PM. Reason: clarification about the exported file

yordanov,
    I looked at the "text" file you put on dropbox. And it is NOT a text file, since it displays in Greek letters. A true .txt file (which BibleWorks creates) is all in English letters. Apparently you have some sort of Unicode file. BibleWorks cannot compile that. I do not know what text editor you are using. But either WordPad or NotePad on MS computers works fine with BibleWorks. rtf files work in the BibleWorks editor, keeping different fonts. But they do not work with the user database compiler. For that you need a text file with just English characters.
    Mark Eddy

Ok, guys, thank you for your replies.

So far I understood, that I have been exporting the file wrong, because I had the "Export Greek resources" checked and it wasn't a "true text file". After fixing this I now have no issue compiling the file, but there is still something I need help with.

If BW can only compile text files with only English characters, is there a way to edit the file in Unicode (or any other encoding that displays the Greek characters), so that I can actually see what I'm doing, then change it to a BW friendly format?

Quote Originally Posted by yordanov View Post

is there a way to edit the file in Unicode (or any other encoding that displays the Greek characters), so that I can actually see what I'm doing, then change it to a BW friendly format?
    It might help to see a sample verse or two showing the verse that you are editing, the verse that you are comparing it with, and the verse after it is edited.

Maybe an explanation of what you are doing and why would also help.

How many changes do you think you will need to make? If there is only one change per verse, that would still be nearly 8000 changes. How will you discover the what needs to be changed? By looking at each verse one at a time.

There are comparison tools and conversion tools available. More information is needed to know which ones to recommend.

One possibility would be to remove all of the marks and punctuation from the text. (There was little or none of them in the earliest manuscripts.) Then it is fairly easy to read the English transliteration of the Greek and you could just work with the transliterated text. This is an example.

Mat 1:1 bibloj genesewj ihsou cristou uiou dauid uiou abraam
    Mat 1:1 βιβλος γενεσεως ιησου χριστου υιου δαυιδ υιου αβρααμ

Mat 1:2 abraam egennhsen ton isaak isaak de egennhsen ton iakwb iakwb de egennhsen ton ioudan kai touj adelfouj autou
    Mat 1:2 αβρααμ εγεννησεν τον ισαακ ισαακ δε εγεννησεν τον ιακωβ ιακωβ δε εγεννησεν τον ιουδαν και τους αδελφους αυτου

I have been reading both for years and prefer the Greek but have no trouble seeing the Greek in the transliteration.
    Last edited by now john; 08-12-2018 at 01:02 PM.