Thread: Verses with identical content

Default Verses with identical content

Dear friends, I want to get all verses with same content, I know how to handle the PMT tool to find related phrases, but I want to see all identical verses, not beginning with a base text, but all, where one verse is exactly quoted somewhere else. E.g. all of such:

Esra 2,63: Und der Tirsatha sprach zu ihnen, daß sie von dem Hochheiligen nicht essen dürften, bis ein Priester für die Urim und die Thummim aufstände.
    Nehemia 7,65: Und der Tirsatha sprach zu ihnen, daß sie von dem Hochheiligen nicht essen dürften, bis ein Priester für die Urim und die Thummim aufstände.

thanks Peter

I do not know if anyone has done what you want, but if you are willing to put a lot of time into it, you could use either the synopsis tool or the Cross reference tab to help you search for identical verses. The synopsis tool has some files such as "otcanon.sdf" or "otnt.sdf" or "gospels.sdf" which you could open and look line by line to see if the parallel verse are in fact identical. I have done some comparing of Samuel-Kings to Chronicles and found that some verses are identical in the some translations, but have a few letters different in Hebrew. So you would have to decide which language to choose for "identical." Once you find identical verses you could make your own list in the editor tab or use the verse list manager. But I do not know a fast way to check. The above-named synopsis files may help as a starting point. But the creators of those files may have missed some identical verses which are not in obvious places.
    Mark Eddy

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    Dear friends, I want to get all verses with same content, I know how to handle the PMT tool to find related phrases, but I want to see all identical verses, not beginning with a base text, but all, where one verse is exactly quoted somewhere else. E.g. all of such:

Esra 2,63: Und der Tirsatha sprach zu ihnen, daß sie von dem Hochheiligen nicht essen dürften, bis ein Priester für die Urim und die Thummim aufstände.
    Nehemia 7,65: Und der Tirsatha sprach zu ihnen, daß sie von dem Hochheiligen nicht essen dürften, bis ein Priester für die Urim und die Thummim aufstände.

thanks Peter
    Hello Peter,

You should be able to do what you want fairly simply with either the Phrase matching tool or the related verses tool. Go to "tools" => analyzing the text. You can modify how many words, and which ones you want to see repeated. It's been a while since I've used it so I'm a bit rusty with it; you'd want to look at the user manual. But it's not too complicated and I think that will get you where you want to go.

Best regards,

Don Cobb
    Aix-en-Provence, France

Dear Mark and Donald, yes, both hints are helpful and I tested the solution - came to many new interesting things by doing so ! If you have a base Verse to star with you can easily with many options of finetuning seek and find related verses. What is not possible as there is no base Verse is to list all verses with identical content completely, you have to have a base verse, with that you start, that is a really good feature, to get an overall list with identical verses is so far difficult or not yet realized, not too bad.
    As you are listening and as I know you both already as good helpers: Could you give me a hint, how to list all OT quotes appearing in the NT? Is thank in the scope of features in BW? Thanks already for the help so far! Maranatha! Peter

I just found how to list the OT in the NT by myself: With the Synopsis Tool - works great. P.

I hadn't tried that tool before, Peter. Thanks for pointing it out! It looks like an excellent starting point. Of course, what should be counted as a "quotation" is always a matter of debate, but looks like a good working tool.
    David Rensberger
    Atlanta, Georgia