Thread: How to search for all future passive forms in the GNT?

Default How to search for all future passive forms in the GNT?

I searched for this topic and couldn't find an exact match. (Sorry in advance if it's been answered elsewhere! If so, link appreciated.)

I'd like to search the Greek NT (and LXX) for all instances of "future passive" forms, i.e., the θησ- endings. Is there a way to do this in BW, from the command line or by other means?

And, if so, I'd also be glad to know how to do this for θη "aorist passive" forms as well. Any rough workarounds are certainly welcome too.

Very many thanks in advance!

- Bobby Jamieson

Type "BGM" in the command line. BGT includes both the LXX and Greek NT (NA28). The "M" indicates that you are searching the morphology version.

Right click in the command line. About 2/3 down the popup, you will see an option for "Command Line Morphology Help." Make sure this is checked. Once you do, it will walk you through morphology searches, so your questions will be answered for you. But anyway . . .

Type ".*@vifp*" in the command line.

For the aorist passive, just change the "f" for "future" to "a" for "aorist."
    καὶ ὑπὲρ πάντων ἀπέθανεν ἵνα οἱ ζῶντες μηκέτι ἑαυτοῖς ζῶσιν, ἀλλὰ τῷ ὑπὲρ αὐτῶν ἀποθανόντι καὶ ἐγερθέντι.

In the Greek OT & NT there are also future passive forms which are infinitives and participles. It is also possible to have future passives which are optatives (although when I checked in BGM, I found none). The previous suggestion will find only indicatives. So, you may wish to expand your search slightly this way: .*@v?fp* If you type this on the command line, BibleWorks will not automatically accept the ? so you have to hit the esc key before you type the ?.
    That will find also the infinitives and participles.
    Mark Eddy

Many thanks to you both!