Thread: Why won't BW copy/paste include the FIRST verse number????

Default Why won't BW copy/paste include the FIRST verse number????

Hi,

I've been using BW since version 8. I love it. One of my only frustrations is that whenever I copy/paste, BW elides the first verse number. For example, I use the pop-up verse copy window to copy Matthew 9:9-13, and this is what I get when I paste:

As Jesus passed on from there, he saw a man called Matthew sitting at the tax booth, and he said to him, "Follow me." And he rose and followed him. 10 And as Jesus reclined at table in the house, behold, many tax collectors and sinners came and were reclining with Jesus and his disciples. 11 And when the Pharisees saw this, they said to his disciples, "Why does your teacher eat with tax collectors and sinners?" 12 But when he heard it, he said, "Those who are well have no need of a physician, but those who are sick. 13 Go and learn what this means: 'I desire mercy, and not sacrifice.' For I came not to call the righteous, but sinners." (Matt. 9:9-13 ESV)

WHY doesn't the number 9 copy, and does anyone know if it can be fixed? Thanks.

I can't speak as to BW's "why," but I prefer not having the first verse number. It seems redundant to me, as that information is supplied by the reference at the end. Maybe that's BW's thinking as well, or maybe that's just me.

While there is an option to "Remove interior verse numbers," I don't see any option to add the first verse in the Copy Format Options. You might suggest that option to BW as a new feature.
    καὶ ὑπὲρ πάντων ἀπέθανεν ἵνα οἱ ζῶντες μηκέτι ἑαυτοῖς ζῶσιν, ἀλλὰ τῷ ὑπὲρ αὐτῶν ἀποθανόντι καὶ ἐγερθέντι.

Hi, AC, and welcome to the forums! I agree with you--I'm forever having to add the first verse number into a block of copied and pasted text. I can sort of see the logic in not including it; but "redundancy" is a necessary feature of many systems, and the lack of completeness and symmetry is annoying to me. There really ought to be a setting to turn on the initial verse number.
    Last edited by DavidR; 05-12-2018 at 05:40 PM.
    David Rensberger
    Atlanta, Georgia

Quote Originally Posted by DavidR View Post
    . . . the lack of completeness symmetry is annoying to me.
    Printed Bibles must drive you guys nuts. Every one I've used omits the "1" before the first verse of a chapter.
    καὶ ὑπὲρ πάντων ἀπέθανεν ἵνα οἱ ζῶντες μηκέτι ἑαυτοῖς ζῶσιν, ἀλλὰ τῷ ὑπὲρ αὐτῶν ἀποθανόντι καὶ ἐγερθέντι.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    Printed Bibles must drive you guys nuts. Every one I've used omits the "1" before the first verse of a chapter.
    Heh, good point. Two other good points, though: when I copy text, it's not to read it in an elegant way, it's to paste it into a document of some kind, generally a research or study document, where I want all the verses identified properly; and BibleWorks omits the initial verse number, not only of the first verse of a chapter (as in printed Bibles), but of the first verse of every copied passage.
    David Rensberger
    Atlanta, Georgia