Thread: Searching for brackets in Greek

Default Searching for brackets in Greek

I'm trying to find all the bracketed words (or letters John 20.31) in the Greek New Testament.
    I should be able to do it using the Graphical Search Engine, using the agreement box, and specifying required punctuation.
    The punctuation marks listed include:
    ; for Greek questions
    , and . (comma and period)
    raised dot (for Greek semicolon)
    open/close parentheses
    open/close brackets
    - dash

I can successfully search for any of those punctuation marks EXCEPT for parentheses and brackets.
    Any suggestions? Thanks.
    Mark G. Vitalis Hoffman
    Glatfelter Professor of Biblical Studies
    United Lutheran Seminary at Gettysburg & Philadelphia
    uls.edu - CrossMarks.com
    Biblical Studies and Technological Tools

No suggestions, but just wondering whether this is in any way connected to this other recent thread: https://www.bibleworks.com/forums/sh...count-question.
    David Rensberger
    Atlanta, Georgia

Thanks, @DavidR. I found the trick in that thread.
    The search for a bracket in GSE does not work using the BNT.
    It does work using the GNT version.
    I'm not sure why, but it works.
    It does not, however, work picking up the internal brackets. Again, I'm not sure why... but this is actually what I was searching for.
    I.e., I was trying to find other instances like the πιστευ[σ]ητε in John 20.31.
    The only other option I found in another thread was to export the GNT or BNT database as a RTF file and then search for brackets in MS Word.
    Doing this I did also find
    • Luke 4.41 κρ[αυγ]άζοντα
    • Luke 11.10 ἀνοιγ[ήσ]εται
    • Rev 3.18 κολλ[ο]ύριον

There are a number of instances of verbs with prepositional prefixes included or not.
    Some other interesting ones are:
    • Matt. 14.12 αὐτὸ[ν]
    • Mk. 3.17 ὀνόμα[τα]
    • Rev 16.6 [δ]έδωκας
    Mark G. Vitalis Hoffman
    Glatfelter Professor of Biblical Studies
    United Lutheran Seminary at Gettysburg & Philadelphia
    uls.edu - CrossMarks.com
    Biblical Studies and Technological Tools

Quote Originally Posted by MGVH View Post
    Thanks, @DavidR. I found the trick in that thread.
    The search for a bracket in GSE does not work using the BNT.
    It does work using the GNT version.
    I'm not sure why, but it works.
    As I said in the thread David referred to, it appears that GNT uses a different internal representation for square brackets than BNT uses. I assume that this is why GSE bracket search does not work for BNT. My guess that this is just something that got missed when NA28 was brought in for BW10. The search does work in NA27, which I think is the renamed BNT from BW9 and earlier.

It does not, however, work picking up the internal brackets. Again, I'm not sure why... but this is actually what I was searching for.
    I.e., I was trying to find other instances like the πιστευ[σ]ητε in John 20.31.
    I think this is just the nature of the critter. I don't think GSE was designed to find punctuation, but rather to give the user the ability to require that phrases did, or did not, contain punctuation. The fact that punctuation is only handled in the agreement box means, if I understand correctly, that it can only be found when it is between words.
    I was unable to find double square brackets. I assume this is because BW assumes punctuation consists of a single character.

--Jim