Thread: Word count question

Default Word count question

Dear BibleWorkers, I want to count the words that are in single or double brackets (in the NA 28 text). Is that possible? Any hint is valuable! Yours in Christ! Peter

You would probably have to use the Graphical Search Engine, or a "regular expressions" search on the Command Line. Take a look at this post in another thread, and the one following it.
    David Rensberger
    Atlanta, Georgia

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    Dear BibleWorkers, I want to count the words that are in single or double brackets (in the NA 28 text). Is that possible? Any hint is valuable! Yours in Christ! Peter
    I do not know a way to get BW to count the number of words in brackets in the NA 28 text.

The only way that I know will work to find all the occurrences of single and double brackets is to Export the text in .bww or .rtf format, and then search for the bracket characters using the text editor of your choice. To do this:
    Main menu of BWW / Tools / Importing/exporting information / Export Database
    In the "Text Export" window, scroll down to select your version (example: BNT). Do not check any of the boxes. Click on "Reset Range" if the displayed range is wrong. Then click on OK, specify where you want to save the file, specify file name (if different from the version id.), make sure the "Save as type" is RTF (or BibleWorks if you prefer), and click on "Save". This will return you to the "Text Export" window; unless you want to export something else click on "Close".

Regular Expressions do not work for Greek or Hebrew versions, unfortunately.

GSE (Graphical Search Engine) searches allow you to search for punctuation (brackets are considered punctuation in GSE), but only between words. If you want to find brackets that are the first or last word of a book, you cannot find them, even if you set "Cross verse boundaries". This is less important because if you miss an opening bracket, you will find the closing bracket. More important is that I couldn't get it to find double brackets at all (I would guess that GSE wants a word on each side of each individual punctuation mark.)
    To complicate things further, I could find brackets in GNT, but not in BNT. BW10 claims that both BNT and GNT are NA28. When I exported a verse (Mat 3:16) in CCAT format (the format one would use as input to compile a version) I discovered that GNT used "[" & "]" (without the " marks). BNT used "08" & "07" (without the " marks). I assume that this is why GSE could not find the brackets in BNT.
    Because of the limitations to the use of GSE in this situation I won't go into the details of how to use it here. If you want the details, just ask, and I'll go through it here.
    It is as easy to export the .rtf (.bww is the same format as .rtf) as to set up the GSE query, and is more accurate. The .rtf export of BNT does handle the brackets well.

--Jim

Dear Jim and dear David, good hints for me as starting point! If I can succeed I will let you know, but I am not sure, if I will. I know now how to find the brackets, but to count the text in between them is another thing, maybe too much effort for my limited lifetime :-). Thank you both - very kind! The Lord may bless you! Yours Peter