Thread: Indexing a user-created DB with Strong's numbers

Default Indexing a user-created DB with Strong's numbers

Hi all, I am compiling a custom translation of the OT in BW10, and now I want to manually index each word/phrase with its corresponding Strong's entry, so that the word data appears in the pop-up bubble and the analysis window when a word/phrase is hovered over (as is the case in the KJV, etc..). I notice what I think is an option to do this in the 'compile' dialogue box, so I assume it can be done.

How would I go about achieving this?

I notice that no one has responded for some time, and that you have not posted saying that you got it to work, so here is what advice I can give.

The Version Database Compiler window has a button in the lower right corner labelled "Help". If you click on this it will give you a fairly thorough explanation.

It might be helpful to export a few verses of a version that uses tagging, to compare with what appears in the Browse Window.
    Main Menu / Tools / Importing/Exporting Information / Export Database
    Select your example version, and set the Range you want to export.
    Check "Export Notes and cross references" if you want examples of them.
    Click OK
    For "Save as type" select "CCAT Format (*.cat)", and Save.

The .cat file is in .txt format, and you can change its suffix to .txt so as to not confuse your text editor. This file is a copy of the file that was compiled to create the exported version.

Remember that the default Srong's info are different from the NAS Lexicon ones; for instance, default gives usage counts from KJV, NAS Lexicon gives usage counts from NAS.

KJV and NKJ have Strong's codes, plus Wigram's Tense, Voice, Mood codes; CSB (in BW10) has only Strong's codes.

I have never compiled a version with Strong's codes; but I assume that if you follow the example of an existing version it will work.

--Jim

Quote Originally Posted by AsaSK View Post
    Hi all, I am compiling a custom translation of the OT in BW10, and now I want to manually index each word/phrase with its corresponding Strong's entry, so that the word data appears in the pop-up bubble and the analysis window when a word/phrase is hovered over (as is the case in the KJV, etc..). I notice what I think is an option to do this in the 'compile' dialogue box, so I assume it can be done.

How would I go about achieving this?
    What I have done with my user version of "The Sacred Scripture of Yahuwah, Restored Names Version (RNV)," is to insert each Strong's numbers one at a time into the database .txt file in the BW format, i.e., <0935> for "come" in the Hebrew portion and <846> for the pronoun in the Greek. You can download the text files (bw-rnv.exe for instance, an executable zip file) from my web page for the RNV and several other versions not supplied by BW from my web page at www.considerthis.net to see what I am talking about. All resources, articles, etc., on the page are free of charge and you can use them in any way you desire. None of it is copyrighted for that purpose. Using BW 9 you will have to edit the DDF file to "C:/Program Files (x86)/BibleWorks 9/filename" to compile it into your version of the BW program.

Brother Buck
    buck@considerthis.net

Default Need Strong Number to Greek word database

I am also attempting to develop functionality described by AsaSK, that of tying the English words to Strong Numbers to Hebrew/Greek words.

Thanks Jim for the instruction on how to export a database, KJV, with Strong Numbers.

I now need a database that has the Greek/Hebrew words tied to their Strong Numbers. Do you know where I can get that?

When I have both of these databases, KJV and Greek/Hebrew, I can join them on Strong's Number and get word translation statistics.

I have submitted this idea to BW and here is the response I received.

Reviewing the awesome customizations developed by Pasquale, do you think he would have any interest in developing the described functionality?

=========================From BW
    Thank you, ...., for taking the time for this extensive note.

We agree that the function described can be implemented within BibleWorks. So far, though, we’ve not been able to make a business case for expending the resources to do it. Customer demand for this function is very light.

Gratefully,

Sent: Tuesday, May 22, 2018 3:09 PM
    To: 'BibleWorks Ideas' <ideasform@bibleworks.com>
    Subject: RE: Idea: Include Englishman's Concordance

Hello ....:

I sincerely thank you for taking the time to so quickly and thoroughly respond to my suggestion. I do not take lightly the opportunity cost in your responding.

You have some outstanding programmers, who certainly know much more than I, and an outstanding data architecture and platform. I am just suggesting a powerful additional feature that will leverage what already exists and allow you to harvest some low hanging fruit.

My suggestion is only a single step away from what you already have. You need not go to the time and expense of programming the Englishman’s Concordance. You already have the key piece.

The key piece you already have is this. When hovering over an English word, the Strong’s Number is displayed (see screenshot 1). This “hover-display” functionality indicates that BibleWorks already has a mapping between the English word of the verse and the Strong’s Number in a “queryable” data structure. This queryable “English word to Strong’s Number” data structure would be queried in reverse, from “Strong’s Number to English word” to provide the new functionality.

As you know, in data modeling lingo, we have an One to One relationship between an English word in a Verse to a Hebrew/Greek word and three Many to Many relationships between English words to Hebrew/Greek words to Verses. (Yes, technically, I know there is more than a single one to one and more than three many to many relationships but I do not want to obscure the point.) BibleWorks displays two of the Many to Many relationships: 1) between English Words and Verses and 2) Verses to English words. BibleWorks is lacking the third: English words to Hebrew/Greek Words and the reverse.

In Screenshot 1, hovering over “wicked” displays the Strong’s Number 4190. I can then search on “ponhros” , which currently returns the 78 matches at the Book+Chapter+Verse “grain”. Herein lies the issue as shown in Screenshot 2. ponhros is also translated as “Evil” but we do not know in which verses, how many times it is translated as either “wicked” or “evil” or what other English words and their frequencies are translated from ponhros. .

By using the reverse mapping of the Strong’s Number to the English words, whose forward mapping BibleWorks uses for the hover-display functionality, the query could now return results at the single English word (evil, wicked, etc) “grain”. So instead of the current “# hits in bk”, the application could return “# hits in word” with the words being listed.

The BibleWorks application’s mapping of the English word to the Strong’s Number when hovering is the key functionality that is hidden from the user which would enable the user to perform my requested functionality. If you could provide either appropriate access to that “English word to Strong’s Number” mapping via an api, functionality similar to your “Graphical Search Engine”, or the actual click stream functionality as described, you would have an additional home run.

Thanks you very much for your time