Thread: Autocorrect problem

Default Autocorrect problem

I am still using version 5, primarily because it has the features I need, and so I have seen no need to upgrade. I found it very helpful in preparing a more literal translation of the NT. Anyway, I have a problem with Autocorrect. I often get a finger on the wrong hand to hit the keyboard first, resulting in transpositions. One of the common errors I make is typing "ot" when I intend to type "to." So far I have been unable to get the software to correct this, even if I put a space before and after the "ot." Does BW just require more than two letters in a word to make a correction, or am I missing something?

Ralph, the Ornery Octogenarian

Hi Ralph,

I've never used version 5; but in the BW versions I have used, there is no autocorrect (or even spellcheck) function in the editor/notes. At least not that I have seen how to turn on. You could copy and paste between BW and a word processor with autocorrect/spellcheck.

By the way, your tone is much too pleasant--you'll need to step it up if you want to maintain your orneriness.
    καὶ ὑπὲρ πάντων ἀπέθανεν ἵνα οἱ ζῶντες μηκέτι ἑαυτοῖς ζῶσιν, ἀλλὰ τῷ ὑπὲρ αὐτῶν ἀποθανόντι καὶ ἐγερθέντι.

I'm not sure either where you're getting autocorrect within BibleWorks. But I'll bet that in whatever autocorrect/spellcheck system you're using, "OT" is set as the abbreviation for "Old Testament". Many of them don't distinguish between lower and upper case, so "ot" looks OK, and you can't get it to autocorrect to "to".
    David Rensberger
    Atlanta, Georgia

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    Hi Ralph,

I've never used version 5; but in the BW versions I have used, there is no autocorrect (or even spellcheck) function in the editor/notes. At least not that I have seen how to turn on. You could copy and paste between BW and a word processor with autocorrect/spellcheck.
    I do not know when BW added spell check, but it IS there in the current version. In order to use it, you have to right click on the editor window and from the list choose "Check spelling." You can also click on "Spell check options" and choose "Auto correct." I have it checked, but it does not autocorrect on my computer. But, as the others said, when I want to do thorough spell checking, I usually copy and past from the editor (or notes) window into my word processing program.
    Christ's,
    Mark Eddy

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Eddy View Post
    I do not know when BW added spell check, but it IS there in the current version. In order to use it, you have to right click on the editor window and from the list choose "Check spelling." You can also click on "Spell check options" and choose "Auto correct." I have it checked, but it does not autocorrect on my computer. But, as the others said, when I want to do thorough spell checking, I usually copy and past from the editor (or notes) window into my word processing program.
    Well I'll be darned. Another feature I didn't know about. Thanks, Mark!

FWIW, nothing autocorrects on my computer either (using BW 10). Wonder what the secret is?

In any case, a blessed Easter to all!
    David Rensberger
    Atlanta, Georgia

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Eddy View Post
    I do not know when BW added spell check, but it IS there in the current version. In order to use it, you have to right click on the editor window and from the list choose "Check spelling." You can also click on "Spell check options" and choose "Auto correct." I have it checked, but it does not autocorrect on my computer.
    Well, you learn something new every day. And it seems, more specifically, I learn something new that BW can do almost as frequently.

Thanks, Mark.
    καὶ ὑπὲρ πάντων ἀπέθανεν ἵνα οἱ ζῶντες μηκέτι ἑαυτοῖς ζῶσιν, ἀλλὰ τῷ ὑπὲρ αὐτῶν ἀποθανόντι καὶ ἐγερθέντι.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    Well, you learn something new every day. And it seems, more specifically, I learn something new that BW can do almost as frequently.

Thanks, Mark.
    My problem is that I forget something every day. The difficulty I had was with Open Office Writer. Why in the world I posted it here, I have no idea. Just blame it on my eighty-four years. My apologies to all for the confusion.

The Ornery Octogenarian

Quote Originally Posted by hdshepherd View Post
    My problem is that I forget something every day. The difficulty I had was with Open Office Writer. Why in the world I posted it here, I have no idea. Just blame it on my eighty-four years. My apologies to all for the confusion.

The Ornery Octogenarian
    Well, I'm only 69 and a bit grumpy, but I totally understand! Out of curiosity, is it the case in OOW that "OT" is being accepted as a word (to serve as the abbreviation for Old Testament), and therefore "ot" can't autocorrect to "to"?

Just FWIW, I'm always glad to encounter people 80 and up who are still actively researching and writing! Y'all encourage me.
    David Rensberger
    Atlanta, Georgia