Thread: Looking for software guidance

Default Looking for software guidance

Hello! I just joined this forum to ask for some assistance. I'm assuming the answers here will bend toward BibleWorks; however, before I spend some money - I've done a lot of research and this and brought me here. So basically I need someone to "push me over the edge" and buy.

As context, I've used e-sword for over 6 years. I've loved it, and the only thing that drives me nuts is the speed. When clicking through word searches ect - everything takes about 1-3 second to respond. (first world problems right?).

So I downloaded the free accordance and logos 7 software to try them. They both have the same issue.

I can't try BibleWorks for free so I wanted to get your thoughts.

Here is a list of my criteria I'd like before I buy (and if you believe Accordance or Logos is better please let me know).

I don't want to search books/commentaries ect. I don't care how pretty the software looks. I want efficiency. The only reason I want Biblical Software is word study in the original languages and exegete. So i love the pictures of the paparyi and manuscripts that come with Bible Works. Speed is very important to me. I don't want a 3 second lag when I click a word for the software to think before it displays is Lemma, Definition ect.

I'm also not willing to spend $1500 to get this. I noticed in Logos I have to spend $1500 and Accordance $1000 - thats a lot.

Here is a comprehensive list of what I'm looking for (I use a PC Windows 10 - I'm not getting a Mac)

• Speed in software
    • UBS5/NA28/TR w/ critical aparatus
    • HALOT/BDAG
    • English, MSS, Transliteration, Lemma, Lemma Transliteration, Morphology
    • LXX
    • Translations (NASB, KJV 1611/1769, NKJV, CSB)
    • Side-by-side GK/HEB Interlinear capability (i.e. mouseover a GK/HEB word and it is highlighted in English on the "other"pane)
    • I don't take notes in the software, I use Word to put all my notes in. So Copy/Paste is important.
    • The Ability to "turn off" what I don't want

Thank you all for your help! Please ask me anything. I really don't want to buy something I regret.

In my experience, BibleWorks would give you pretty much everything you're looking for, except maybe the interlinear function. You can hover the mouse over a Greek or Hebrew (or Aramaic) word and get lemma, basic meaning, and parsing in a popup window in less than 1 second; but it doesn't match words in one language to words in another.

I've never had any issues with BW running slowly. As a test, I just searched for all forms of περιπατέω in the NT (NA-28). BW found 95 hits (30 forms in 88 verses) in 0.10 secs--that's 1/10 of a second, essentially instantaneously. (BW shows that stat after each search, some pardonable bragging.) I did the same search on the entire Bible (LXX+NT) and got 136 hits (43 forms in 129 verses) in the same .1 sec., suggesting it's actually less time than that. When I click on a verse in the resulting list of hits, it takes less than 1 second to display the verse in the set of 8 versions that I have customized for the OT (NRSV, NIV, NET, Hebrew, Targum, LXX, Vulgate, Peshitta) or 6 for the NT (the same, minus Targum and LXX). Of course, your mileage may vary. I'm on a Windows 7 machine that's a few years old.

With regard to copying into Word, attached is a sample drawn from the search just noted, but this time limited to Psalms and Proverbs to save space, plus a search for הלךְ in Proverbs only. The operation is very simple: in the list of hits, right-click, select Copy Verse List + Text, select Copy to Microsoft Word. (This forum doesn't accept .docx uploads, so I saved it as .PDF).

As to the other items on your list, all the versions you mention are in BW 10 (there's a list of contents here), with these caveats: I'm not sure whether they have UBS beyond UBS4; they have TR with morphological analysis, but I don't think with a critical apparatus. Besides KJV, they have the pre-KJV Tyndale NT and Bishops' NT. (It's very interesting to see how much of Tyndale there is in the KJV.) BW is highly customizable, though I can't say for sure that you can turn off what you don't want without knowing what you don't want.

You may already have looked at some of the online videos to see BW in action, but in case not they are here: https://www.youtube.com/c/BibleWorksVideos.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    David Rensberger
    Atlanta, Georgia

Not to brag, but I'm proficient user of BibleWorks and a competent user of both Logos and Accordance. I.e., I have opinions!
    @NAS wrote:
    Here is a comprehensive list of what I'm looking for (I use a PC Windows 10 - I'm not getting a Mac)

• Speed in software: BibleWorks is the fastest, but if you have a decent computer, the time differences aren't terribly consequential
    • UBS5/NA28/TR w/ critical aparatus Getting the text with a critical apparatus is extra for each, and they do things differently. You can buy NA28 or USB5 separately for about $100 each in Accordance or Logos. BW offers a Stuttgart module that includes both and quite a few other resources for $149.
    • HALOT/BDAG available in each but for the HALOT/BDAG bundle it's $299 in Accordance, $275 in Logos, $212 in BibleWorks
    • LXX
    • Translations (NASB, KJV 1611/1769, NKJV, CSB) again, you can get just about any English version in each package, but it will come standard w/ BW, pay extra for the others
    • Side-by-side GK/HEB Interlinear capability (i.e. mouseover a GK/HEB word and it is highlighted in English on the "other"pane) Both Accordance and Logos can do this, BW can't. In BW's way of displaying verses individually, you can see the parallels somewhat easily, but for my beginning Greek students, it's much easier to have this sympathetic highlighting. It's a drawback for BW...
    • I don't take notes in the software, I use Word to put all my notes in. So Copy/Paste is important. Easy to do in all of them. Note, however, that the built-in editor and note-taking panel in BW is actually an RTF file, so it's easier, IMO, to take notes in BW and then copy them all later to Word if you want.
    • The Ability to "turn off" what I don't want Not sure what you mean... There are LOTS of on/off options in Logos (parallel resources, interlinear, notes, highlighting...)

In general, to get similar functionality, Logos is likely to cost the most, then Accordance, then BW. So, if 'value' is important, BW is the best value.
    In terms of a learning curve, Accordance and Logos are easier, and for a Windows person, I find the Logos layout the most adaptable. Once you get to know BW, the layout is logic, and for me, I can do most searches most quickly in BW.
    Mark G. Vitalis Hoffman
    Glatfelter Professor of Biblical Studies
    United Lutheran Seminary at Gettysburg & Philadelphia
    uls.edu - CrossMarks.com
    Biblical Studies and Technological Tools

Good points, Mark. Let me add a couple of others.

1. Does BW have a TR module with critical apparatus (as opposed to morphological analysis)? For that matter, do Logos and Accordance? The TR-related modules in BW10 of which I'm aware are STE, the Stephanus (Robert Estienne) 1550 edition based on Erasmus' work; SCR, the F. H. A. Scrivener 1894 edition of TR; and BYZ, the Robinson-Pierpont Majority Text of 2011. All of these have accompanying morphological analyses. There may be others that I've missed, though.
    2. There are several critical apparatuses available. Those for UBS5 and NA28 come as part of the Stuttgart NT Module. (Stuttgart also includes Metzger's textual commentary for UBS4.) The Tischendorff text and apparatus are included standard in BW10. So is the Center for New Testament Textual Studies apparatus, which I find very valuable.

NAS, I hope all this is helpful in your discernment!
    David Rensberger
    Atlanta, Georgia

If you're looking for detailed help with NT manuscript variants, you may also be interested in The Center for New Testament Textual Studies (CNTTS) New Testament Critical Apparatus. Logos calls it "the most detailed and comprehensive critical apparatus on the market" and sells it for $99.99. Accordance, similarly, sells it for $99.90.

BibleWorks includes it in the base package. Read all about the BW edition of it here.

Quote Originally Posted by NAS View Post
    ... Here is a comprehensive list of what I'm looking for (I use a PC Windows 10 - I'm not getting a Mac)

• Speed in software
    • UBS5/NA28/TR w/ critical aparatus
    • HALOT/BDAG
    • LXX
    • Translations (NASB, KJV 1611/1769, NKJV, CSB)
    • Side-by-side GK/HEB Interlinear capability (i.e. mouseover a GK/HEB word and it is highlighted in English on the "other"pane)
    • I don't take notes in the software, I use Word to put all my notes in. So Copy/Paste is important.
    • The Ability to "turn off" what I don't want

Thank you all for your help! Please ask me anything. I really don't want to buy something I regret.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Witte View Post
    If you're looking for detailed help with NT manuscript variants, you may also be interested in The Center for New Testament Textual Studies (CNTTS) New Testament Critical Apparatus. Logos calls it "the most detailed and comprehensive critical apparatus on the market" and sells it for $99.99. Accordance, similarly, sells it for $99.90.

BibleWorks includes it in the base package. Read all about the BW edition of it here.
    I have used CNTTS for many years, and it is in many ways more useful than any critical apparatus. Although there is no critical apparatus for TR anywhere, by looking at CNTTS you can see the manuscripts which form the basis of TR (Byzantine, category V), to see where there are difference among Byzantine manuscripts. And, as Dan said, it is included in the base package of BibleWorks. You can't beat that.
    Mark Eddy