Thread: Apocrypha / Deuterocanonical books

Default Apocrypha / Deuterocanonical books

I need help in finding quality material that either proves or disproves that the authors of the NT. quoted or didn't quote from the Apocrypha / Deuterocanonical books.

Any suggestions?

Thank You Much
    Dave Rogers

For starters, take a look at Deuterocanonical References in the New Testament, by James Akin (taken from an appendix to Nestle-Aland 27), which I located through the excellent New Testament Gateway, edited by Mark Goodacre. Note, however, that Akin doesn't undertake to prove that any of the possible references are definitely quotations. It's almost always possible to explain any supposed quote of any writing by any writer in some other way. If it seems dogmatically important to someone that the NT writers quoted the Deuterocanon, they will prove some of these quotations quite thoroughly. If it seems dogmatically important to someone else that NT writers never quoted the Apocrypha, they will find quite thorough alternative explanations. Just for myself, I tend to find such impassioned arguments of little use; but some folks make their living by them.
    Last edited by DavidR; 02-24-2018 at 05:58 PM.
    David Rensberger
    Atlanta, Georgia

Quote Originally Posted by DavidR View Post
    For starters, take a look at Deuterocanonical References in the New Testament, by James Akin (taken from an appendix to Nestle-Aland 27), which I located through the excellent New Testament Gateway, edited by Mark Goodacre. Note, however, that Akin doesn't undertake to prove that any of the possible references are definitely quotations. It's almost always possible to explain any supposed quote of any writing by any writer in some other way. If it seems dogmatically important to someone that the NT writers quoted the Deuterocanon, they will prove some of these quotations quite thoroughly. If it seems dogmatically important to someone else that NT writers never quoted the Apocrypha, they will find quite thorough alternative explanations. Just for myself, I tend to find such impassioned arguments of little use; but some folks make their living by them.
    Dave, I agree with you. As I have found out there are many individuals that know the bible very well but have never investigated the history of the bible. Because of their lack of understanding the history many are offended when you tell them: scriptures have not always been copied correctly, some places purposely edited and it's the American bibles that don't have the Apocrypha. Some are totally shocked in disbelief that the Bible even mentions the names of non-canonical books and the list goes on.

Thank much for your time
    Dave Rogers

Glad it was helpful, Dave. All too many lovers of the King James Version are unaware that it originally included the Apocrypha, though editions that do so are very hard to get today, I think (not that I've actually looked lately!).
    David Rensberger
    Atlanta, Georgia