Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dict tab quit working after update

Default Dict tab quit working after update

I just updated BW10 on my laptop to v. 10.0.8.412 (32), and then updated a number of data files that appeared in the subsequent updater list. When I was done, my Dict tab no longer worked, i.e., there was essentially nothing there (see screenshot). I think the only dictionary I updated was McClintock & Strong. I tried removing the tab from the Analysis Window tabs, closing BW, restarting it, and putting the Dict tab back on, with no result. I tried the same thing with a reboot of the laptop included, and still nothing. I have the same version (and M&S in the Dict tab) on my desktop with no problems. Any recommendations?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by DavidR; 01-31-2018 at 06:19 PM.
    David Rensberger
    Atlanta, Georgia

I can't duplicate your problem. It works fine for me. I'd suggest deleting your INI file (back it up first) and see if that solves the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Adelphos View Post
    I can't duplicate your problem. It works fine for me. I'd suggest deleting your INI file (back it up first) and see if that solves the problem.
    Ugh, I hope it doesn't come to that. Come to think of it, the simplest way may be to see if there's a checkpoint that will get the Dict tab working again, and if so, then redo the updates.
    David Rensberger
    Atlanta, Georgia

I tried restoring an earlier checkpoint, a couple of them in fact, and that didn't work. I quit because it started causing the program to crash when I tried to activate the Dict tab. I did finally get it fixed, and it did involve eliminating the .ini file, and it was indeed "ugh." In case it might help someone else down the line, here's what I ended up doing.

First, of course, I shut down BibleWorks. I moved the bw1000.ini file that was associated with the non-functioning Dict tab (I'll call this .ini file A) to a different location (because it had all my customizations in it and I didn't want to lose them). Then I restarted BW and let it create a new .ini file (which I'll call B). The Dict tab now worked, so I knew the problem was in the .ini file somewhere. I selected McClintock & Strong in the Dict tab and closed BW again. Then I compared the two .ini files using a piece of software that can locate differences between two text files; that was the "ugh" part, believe me. Eventually I found where the A .ini file had a line "sdeftabdic=BW default", while the B file had a line "sdeftabdic=mcclintock". I copied that line from the B .ini file into A. Then I copied the (hopefully) repaired A .ini file back to C:\Program Files (x86)\BibleWorks 10\. When I restarted BW, it still had my customizations, and it had functioning a Dict tab with McClintock & Strong selected. I tried my other dictionaries in the tab to be sure they worked; then I restarted BW once again to be sure it still worked, which it did.

So the problem was that somehow the sdeftabdic setting in bw1000.ini had come to be "BW default", which evidently is not a viable setting. Somehow this happened in the process of updating to the current version, and then updating databases including McClintock & Strong. Hopefully this will tell the programmers more than it does me. Just glad I was able to track it down.
    Last edited by DavidR; 02-01-2018 at 07:59 PM.
    David Rensberger
    Atlanta, Georgia

I always dread the delete ini file because of all the tweaks to make the program the way I like it. Sorry to hear that was the fix, but I bet you are back up with your normal layouts faster than you think.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidR View Post
    ...Hopefully this will tell the programmers more than it does me. Just glad I was able to track it down.
    I've been saying for years that they need to come with an Exorcism function for that INI file.

Quote Originally Posted by jfidel View Post
    I always dread the delete ini file because of all the tweaks to make the program the way I like it. Sorry to hear that was the fix, but I bet you are back up with your normal layouts faster than you think.
    Yes, by preserving the .ini file with my customizations and moving the necessary setting over from the bare-bones .ini file that had a working Dict tab I was able to have the best of both worlds. Finding that necessary setting was not the best of any world, however!
    David Rensberger
    Atlanta, Georgia

Hello all,

David's post has got me wondering. Has anyone else experienced the same problem with the latest update? I would hate to have to do the same thing on my computer and would rather forego updates until the problem is resolved.

So is David's problem the exception? Or the rule?

Regards,

Donald Cobb
    Aix-en-Provence, France

Hello.

I'm working with 10.0.8.412. My dict tab works.

Gilbert

Quote Originally Posted by Donald Cobb View Post
    David's post has got me wondering. Has anyone else experienced the same problem with the latest update? I would hate to have to do the same thing on my computer and would rather forego updates until the problem is resolved.

So is David's problem the exception? Or the rule?
    In this case it appears it was unique to David, but this has occurred -- and is going to continue to occur -- as INI files can become easily corrupted. I hope BW will move away from so many INI file settings and make many more of the settings configurable outside of the INI file.