Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need Advice on New BW 10 Install in VM

Default Need Advice on New BW 10 Install in VM

I am finally beginning to put my life back together after an auto accident and am preparing to install BW 10 in a VM on my Mac. I am currently using a 2013 MBA with 8GB RAM on 10.11 (but I will likely upgrade to 10.13 when a few more issues have been ironed out).

I need to decide whether to purchase Fusion or Parallels--both trials seem to work on my MBA--and which Win OS to install. I have a variety of Win license options (Win 7 32 and 64 bit and Win 10 32 and 64 bit).

So my questions are:
    Does either VMWare Fusion or Parallels offer better support for BibleWorks?
    Is one less demanding of computer resources?
    With a view toward future upgrades, which Win OS would it be better to install?

Thanks for the help.

JA,
    I am running BW10 on my Mac using the BibleWorks Mac Installer and am very pleased with the results. I used to run on Parallels, but really disliked the expanding size of the file, having to have a working copy of Windows etc. The Mac Installer is really excellent without all the fuss associated with having to buy and maintain and emulator and underlying software.

Just a thought for you to try.

More details are here:
    https://kb.bibleworksllc.com/kmp/ind...Installer.html
    You may need to purchase a code for the install. It is not much.

Quote Originally Posted by jfidel View Post
    JA,
    I am running BW10 on my Mac using the BibleWorks Mac Installer and am very pleased with the results. I used to run on Parallels, but really disliked the expanding size of the file, having to have a working copy of Windows etc. The Mac Installer is really excellent without all the fuss associated with having to buy and maintain and emulator and underlying software.

Just a thought for you to try.

More details are here:
    https://kb.bibleworksllc.com/kmp/ind...Installer.html
    You may need to purchase a code for the install. It is not much.
    My reservation is that running BW on a Mac without Win loses some functionality (according to the BW website--98% functionality). I would like to know what I have to give up before I decide to run BW outside an emulator.

I remember that once being the case, but the updates to the installer have me thinking it is on par with running the program in windows. Whatever limits there are, I am unable to tell from using the program in it's current state.

All the best in your install.

Default Need Advice on New BW 10 Install in VM

I have used both Parallel and VMware Fusion, both work good with BibleWorks. The reason I use VMware Fusion is it is cheaper and you can put it on more than one computer. Parallel can only be use on one computer. VMware is easier to install. Parallel is stronger towards gaming.
    As far as operating systems go I use Win 7 64 because I own it. If I had the money I would go with Win 10 64 bit, the reason is Win 7 is not being supported by Microsoft anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by lamonte View Post
    I would go with Win 10 64 bit, the reason is Win 7 is not being supported by Microsoft anymore.
    Are you sure about that? I have BW installed on Parallels with Win 7 and just got an update yesterday for Windows Defender. I still regularly receive invitations from Microsoft to download the latest accumulative updates.

Having said that, I pretty much agree with what has been written above: there are few real differences now between the Mac version of BW 10 and with an emulator. I find the Mac version 1) to be a little less smooth, a little more "jarring" in its functions (e.g., changing from one pane to the next), 2) there's a little bit of a delay for all the buttons to reappear when going from one pane to another, 3) the quality of the image—especially with the manuscript photos and the Greel/Hebrew fonts—is not quite as good as in Windows on Parallels (i.e., the colors on the images are a little less sharp), and 4) as a whole, it's slightly less stable. But that's about all I've noticed, and I tend to use a good deal of BW's functions. I don't think there are any longer functions that are unable to work in the Mac version. On that score, BW10 is much, much better than the BW9 Mac version, and it has gotten even better with the successive updates.

With BW10, especially over the last six months or so, I tend to boot up Parallels less often and just use the Mac version. But it's true that, if I'm doing lots of exegetical work, I still prefer using BW in Parallels and find it a little more of an enjoyable experience overall.

Regards,

Donald Cobb
    Aix-en-Provence, France

Mainstream support for Windows 7 ended on January 13, 2015. This means that no new Service Packs are coming for Windows 7, and no new features will be added to the operating system. It does not, however, mean that Microsoft is no longer patching the operating system.

Quote Originally Posted by Donald Cobb View Post
    Are you sure about that? I have BW installed on Parallels with Win 7 and just got an update yesterday for Windows Defender. I still regularly receive invitations from Microsoft to download the latest accumulative updates.

Having said that, I pretty much agree with what has been written above: there are few real differences now between the Mac version of BW 10 and with an emulator. I find the Mac version 1) to be a little less smooth, a little more "jarring" in its functions (e.g., changing from one pane to the next), 2) there's a little bit of a delay for all the buttons to reappear when going from one pane to another, 3) the quality of the image—especially with the manuscript photos and the Greel/Hebrew fonts—is not quite as good as in Windows on Parallels (i.e., the colors on the images are a little less sharp), and 4) as a whole, it's slightly less stable. But that's about all I've noticed, and I tend to use a good deal of BW's functions. I don't think there are any longer functions that are unable to work in the Mac version. On that score, BW10 is much, much better than the BW9 Mac version, and it has gotten even better with the successive updates.

With BW10, especially over the last six months or so, I tend to boot up Parallels less often and just use the Mac version. But it's true that, if I'm doing lots of exegetical work, I still prefer using BW in Parallels and find it a little more of an enjoyable experience overall.

Regards,

Donald Cobb
    Aix-en-Provence, France

Default VMs No More

Quote Originally Posted by JAMiller View Post
    Thank you. This will help.
    Unless you really need to have multiple users set up on a single install (pretty narrow use case), it's not worth using a VM. The rest of the 'bugs' (more like, unsupported functionality) are almost not worth mentioning, at least in the context of having to use a VM to run BW.