Thread: LSJM or LEHS

Default LSJM or LEHS

I am using the Septuagint a lot.
    Which is the better dictionary or should I get both?

1) A Greek-English Lexicon (LSJM)
    Unlock code for LSJM - A Greek-English Lexicon, 9th Revised Edition, by Henry George Liddell, Robert Scott, Henry Stuart Jones, and Robert McKenzie. Copyright © Oxford University Press 1996.

2) A Greek-English Lexicon of the Septuagint (LEHS)
    Unlock code for LEHS - A Greek-English Lexicon of the Septuagint, Revised Edition, edited by Johan Lust, Erik Eynikel, and Katrin Hauspie, © 2003 Deutsche Bibelgesellschaft, Stuttgart.

Thank You
    Dave Rogers

Isn't # 2 already included in BW versions from 8 to the present?
    David Spear
    Calvary Chapel of Manassas
    Manassas, Va. 20110
    http://www.calvarychapelmanassas.org/
    KJV Romans 3:28 Therefore we conclude that a man is justified by faith without (apart from) the deeds of the law.

Quote Originally Posted by calvary View Post
    Isn't # 2 already included in BW versions from 8 to the present?
    In the Lexicon Browser it just says

LEH Lexicon

On the BW website the product list shows: A Greek-English Lexicon of the Septuagint (LEHS)

Is it the same?

Thank You
    Dave Rogers

Quote Originally Posted by drogers View Post
    In the Lexicon Browser it just says

LEH Lexicon

On the BW website the product list shows: A Greek-English Lexicon of the Septuagint (LEHS)

Is it the same?

Thank You
    Dave Rogers
    Hi Dave,

Yes, it's the same thing. As far as a comparison goes, LEHS is especially for the LXX, as the name indicates. So the definition or nuance for a word in specific passages is more likely to mentioned. LEHS also gives helpful information for word statistics (cf. the "V 1-0-0-0-1-2", etc., just after the head word in the entry). It also gives, on occasion, the hebrew word of which the particular entry is a translation.

The definitions do tend to be very succinct, whereas LSJ goes more in-depth. That is probably its greatest weakness. Having said that, you do know, I assume, that by right-clicking on a word and then clicking on "Lookup lemma on Perseus website", your web navigator will open to that word on the Perseus site, which you can then open up in LSJ. It's not the most recent edition (LSJM), but I believe—someone else can correct me if I'm mistaken—that the only thing missing is the supplements.

In any case, if you are doing in-depth work on texts, it's always preferable to have access to several dictionaries. No one lexicon is sufficient of itself.

I hope all that is helpful!

Donald Cobb
    Aix-en-Provence, France

In my thinking, the advantage of LSJ(M) over LEH or BDAG, etc. (i.e., lexica specialized for the Bible), is that it shows you the broad context of Greek usage of a term. The specialized lexica can focus too narrowly on "religious" or "theological" ranges of meaning that don't reveal the nuances that might have been in the mind of the native (or at least fluent) speakers of Greek who wrote the texts in the Bible. Our scriptures in Greek are only a small segment of an enormous literature (and an even more enormous spoken language), and IMO the more context and nuance you can get, the better your understanding can be. 150 years ago there was an idea of a kind of "sacred Greek" used by the LXX translators and NT writers; but it is now well known that they used more or less the ordinary language of their day. Certainly they developed some specialized technical terminology, and the specialized lexica are helpful for that. But even those terms have nuances that may escape us without that wider context.
    David Rensberger
    Atlanta, Georgia