Thread: Louw-Nida and English word searches

Default Louw-Nida and English word searches

Is it possible to do cross searches using Louw-Nida ranges in BGM with NAU?

I was looking at a YouTube video of another bible software package and I am trying to do the same in BW10
    But I can't put the following on the command line

.<92.1-37> (/I he she we)

I used the Verse manager to achieve a list of two different searches one for search results of Louw-Nida ranges and a second search for pronouns.
    Then I highlighted common verses between the two lists
    And finally got my list into the Search List
    So it was a multi-step process

I haven't learned enough of BW10 to understand all of it's massive capabilities.
    So I was looking to see if there was a way of achieving the same results from Verse Manager with a command line search?

Thank You
    Dave Rogers

From your example, I'm guessing you were looking at a Logos video. They've gone through the Bible and attached referent tags to speakers. That's a unique Logos feature.
    It is possible to run the kind of search you indicate in BW, but the results may not be as helpful.
    To conduct a cross-version search (i.e., find certain Greek words which are translated with certain English words in an English version), you need to use the Graphical Search feature in BibleWorks.
    Mark G. Vitalis Hoffman
    Glatfelter Professor of Biblical Studies
    United Lutheran Seminary at Gettysburg & Philadelphia
    uls.edu - CrossMarks.com
    Biblical Studies and Technological Tools

You might want to try the Graphic Search Engine (GSE). The easiest way to start would be on the command line with NAU your search version type /I he she we.
    Then under the command line click on "Tools" and click on "Graphic Search Engine." The GSE will open with an "Or" merge box connected to four word boxes.
    On the button bar at the top of the query box click on the "M", and BW will open another merge box.
    Double click on it, and a "Merge Box Options" window will open. Be sure that "AND" is checked.
    2/3 of the way down you will see a "Version". Click on the arrow to see a list of all versions installed in BW. Choose BGM, and OK.
    Next click on the "W" on the query button bar, and a "word" box will open.
    Double click on it, and a Word Box Options window will open.
    Under the word "Version"
    from the drop-down list choose BGM.
    Under "Search Method" click "Inclusion/exclusion list (IEL) and click on "More>>".
    From the list choose "Add Louw-Nida domain" and scroll down to "92" and click on it (if you want all the words in that domain to be searched). You can remove some of the words in the inclusion list, if you wish to narrow your search. Click OK.
    Now you are back to the main GSE window. From the button bar click on the icon in which there are rectangles in the upper left and lower right joined by a line ("set word connect mode").
    Click on your BGM word box and drag the line (which should appear automatically) to the BGM merge box.
    Then click on that box and drag the line to the NAU merge box.
    Your query is now complete. Click on "go" and BW will create a huge list of verses (I got 2363 verses with 80148 hits).
    I hope you could follow this and that it helps. The GSE can do versions across language barriers. It takes a bit of time to set up, as you can see. But eventually you get the hang of it.
    Mark Eddy

Quote Originally Posted by MGVH View Post
    From your example, I'm guessing you were looking at a Logos video. They've gone through the Bible and attached referent tags to speakers. That's a unique Logos feature.
    It is possible to run the kind of search you indicate in BW, but the results may not be as helpful.
    To conduct a cross-version search (i.e., find certain Greek words which are translated with certain English words in an English version), you need to use the Graphical Search feature in BibleWorks.
    Yes I was looking at Logos.
    I am just learning Greek so there's a lot for me to learn.
    I find myself a lot of times trying to find the root of a word.

So there are several features I would like to see in BW11.
    To easily find the root of any word.
    To have the word marked with Louw-Nida number.

I only have had BW10 for eight months and still learning how to use it, fantastic abilities.

Thank You
    Dave Rogers

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Eddy View Post
    You might want to try the Graphic Search Engine (GSE). The easiest way to start would be on the command line with NAU your search version type /I he she we.
    Then under the command line click on "Tools" and click on "Graphic Search Engine." The GSE will open with an "Or" merge box connected to four word boxes.
    On the button bar at the top of the query box click on the "M", and BW will open another merge box.
    Double click on it, and a "Merge Box Options" window will open. Be sure that "AND" is checked.
    2/3 of the way down you will see a "Version". Click on the arrow to see a list of all versions installed in BW. Choose BGM, and OK.
    Next click on the "W" on the query button bar, and a "word" box will open.
    Double click on it, and a Word Box Options window will open.
    Under the word "Version"
    from the drop-down list choose BGM.
    Under "Search Method" click "Inclusion/exclusion list (IEL) and click on "More>>".
    From the list choose "Add Louw-Nida domain" and scroll down to "92" and click on it (if you want all the words in that domain to be searched). You can remove some of the words in the inclusion list, if you wish to narrow your search. Click OK.
    Now you are back to the main GSE window. From the button bar click on the icon in which there are rectangles in the upper left and lower right joined by a line ("set word connect mode").
    Click on your BGM word box and drag the line (which should appear automatically) to the BGM merge box.
    Then click on that box and drag the line to the NAU merge box.
    Your query is now complete. Click on "go" and BW will create a huge list of verses (I got 2363 verses with 80148 hits).
    I hope you could follow this and that it helps. The GSE can do versions across language barriers. It takes a bit of time to set up, as you can see. But eventually you get the hang of it.
    Mark Eddy

Thank you much!
    Haven't used the GSE yet.
    Been a software programmer for 40+ years and always been a "command line" person.

Dave Rogers