Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dead Sea Scrolls in Original Hebrew

Lightbulb Dead Sea Scrolls in Original Hebrew

I think it would be nice to have the Dead Sea Scrols available for Bibleworks in the original Hebrew/Aramaic/Greek seeing as they are published for Logos and Accordance. Plus with all the money I spent on Bibleworks it would also be nice to have other Hebrew Old Testaments available for Bibleworks.... what do you all think?
    Last edited by Shane Mohammed; 12-04-2011 at 10:01 PM.

BW does already offer:

http://store.bibleworks.com/QSM.html
    QSMA
    Unlock code for QSM - The Qumran Sectarian Manuscripts (with morphological tags), Copyright © 1999, 2000, 2001 by Martin G. Abegg, Jr.

The QSM contains all non-biblical manuscripts from what are commonly known as the Dead Sea Scrolls. These texts—described at the time of their discovery as the most important archaeological discovery of all time (W. F. Albright)—have thankfully lived up to their "press." They have afforded a window into the world as it was in the two centuries before the advent of Christianity. In short, they provide the New Testament with a much clearer context than was known before their discovery.
    Requires BibleWorks 6 or later.
    $80.00

AND

http://store.bibleworks.com/product49.html
    QBSET
    Unlock code for QBSET - Dead Sea Scrolls English Translation Bundle: Biblical and Sectarian Texts

Comes with two works: The Dead Sea Scrolls: A New Translation (Michael O. Wise, Martin G. Abegg, Jr., & Edward M. Cook, trans.), a comprehensive translation into English of the Dead Sea Scrolls sectarian texts (plus introductions and explanatory notes), and The Dead Sea Scrolls Bible: The Oldest Known Bible Translated for the First Time into English (Martin Abegg, Jr., Peter Flint, & Eugene Ulrich), containing an English translation of the Dead Sea Scrolls Biblical texts (plus introductions, explanatory notes, and text-critical notes).

The Biblical Texts contain a Browse Window version and a HTML Help version. The Sectarian Texts contain a HTML Help version only. (The Browse Window version is searchable using the Command Line. The HTML Help version opens in a separate window for reading and is not searchable using the Command Line. Basic searches on the HTML Help version are possible using the built-in search feature.)

This item requires BibleWorks 8 or later.
    $30.00
    Mark G. Vitalis Hoffman
    Glatfelter Professor of Biblical Studies
    United Lutheran Seminary at Gettysburg & Philadelphia
    uls.edu - CrossMarks.com
    Biblical Studies and Technological Tools

Yes, but as I specifically said, "in the original language," not in english.

Unfortunately, there are no direct links but I have been using the version on the internet through Google. BW9 has been great (with links) to search other original manuscripts, though I do not believe the DSC's are included. Maybe this is coming down the pipe in the future?

And yes, I agree with your suggestion Shane.

Peace,
    Aaron
    Rev. Aaron Kesson, Pastor
    Emmanuel United Methodist Church
    Blissfield, Michigan
    http://www.blissfieldeumc.org

MDiv - Asbury Theological Seminary
    MA(Counseling)-Spring Arbor University

BibleWorks 9 User

Blog - http://www.aaronkesson.com

"Mhdei,j sou th/j neo,thtoj katafronei,tw( avlla. tu,poj gi,nou tw/n pistw/n evn lo,gw|( evn avnastrofh/|( evn avga,ph|( evn pi,stei( evn a`gnei,a|Å"
    -1 Tim. 4:12

Bibleworks say that they focus on Original language text, but I believe that is partially true. For one, yes they do, in the sense of New Testament resources... but, no they don't in the sense of OT texts. Sure we have the WTT tagged and Targums, but what about the Peshitta Old Testament, which can be found in the CAL Aramaic studies website? Bibleworks has the NT part but not the Old even though both are in electronic format? How about the Samaritan Pentateuch or Gottingen Septuagint (as found in Logos or Accordance). All that I am saying is if they want to be successful competitors they should focus more on OT criticism, not necessarily for Jewish audiances, but for Christians to better understand the text of the NT. Thank you all for reading. If any Bibleworks workers read this please, take my request into consideration.

p.s. where else can I access the DSS in original Heb./Ara./Greek in searchable format online?
    Last edited by Shane Mohammed; 12-06-2011 at 10:58 PM.

For what it's worth, I do think the BW folks do take your requests into consideration, but it's not always as easy as we think. Just because another program has the resource doesn't always mean BibleWorks can get it. Sometimes license holders will not permit it, other times they may permit it but BW will determine that the costs are too high. With only a few exceptions, BW usually doesn't comment on the reasons why they don't have the resource if there are problems in licensing because they don't want to sour business relationships between them and the publisher. (The only exception to this that I know of is a few statements about the inability of coming up with a good working agreement with a certain Bible society, but even then, they don't draw attention to that company.) For instance, say they can get the Dead Sea Scrolls in Hebrew and the license is for $5,000 + $10/license sold and you must sell 500 licenses are year to maintain the contract. What seems like an easy decision could become a lot more complicated with details like that. One thing I note about the Dead Sea Scrolls resources in one of the programs: it costs nearly as much as the entire BibleWorks program itself. So I assume pricing might play at least some small factor in all this.

That said, I haven't the foggiest idea what the reason might be that BW doesn't have the Biblical sections of the Dead Sea Scrolls in Hebrew, but I do know they appreciate hearing your ideas and the more people who let them know that they want it will likely make their decisions easier because they know there's a good market to support it.
    Michael Hanel
    PhD candidate Classics Univ. of Cincinnati
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    MA Classics Washington University
    Unofficial BibleWorks Blog
    LibraryThing!

This seems logical, but if they can the Targums, then at least maybe the Peshitta OT. Thanks for your comments Mr. Hanel, anybody else?

Well my point is that all our attempts to explain why they don't have X or Y is just speculation. If you want to know why they don't have X or Y you can try emailing them and asking them and they may be able to tell you something more specific. But generally they don't respond to questions like that on the forums.

The more productive thing you can do is to try to drum up support from other BibleWorks users by explaining what resource you want and why it's important. If you can get hundreds of people to say if BW had X, we'd definitely buy it, it would probably be something that they would take a lot more seriously.
    Michael Hanel
    PhD candidate Classics Univ. of Cincinnati
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    MA Classics Washington University
    Unofficial BibleWorks Blog
    LibraryThing!

OK, whoever would like the Dead Sea Scrolls in Hebrew please reply to this blog, with enough people I will inform Bibleworks.

Hi Shane,

I assure you that we are as concerned about the OT as we are the NT. In order for us to include a text in BibleWorks, a number of things have to align: there needs to be an available (and usable) electronic text (or at least be able to convert it ourselves, as long as the price is not to high to do the conversion), we need to be able to license the text from the publishers, and the licensing cost must not be so high that no one would buy it or that we could not include it in the base package (for Biblical texts).

We do have some OT items in the works, though we generally do not say anything about what is in process until it is ready. But I assure you that we are interested in the items that you have mentioned. Keep in mind that just because something is available in another software package or on the Internet does not mean that we are able to license it, too.

We have found a lot more electronic texts available to us for the NT than we have found for the OT. This means that there are more NT texts available in BibleWorks than OT texts. We do not purposely slant the program in that direction--that is just the way that our available databases have fallen.

If you find electronic texts available that we could license, please let us know and we will check on them.

Blessings,
    Glenn
    Glenn Weaver