Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dictionary with very short, simple glosses

Default Dictionary with very short, simple glosses

I'm trying to export a report to use as parsing homework in Greek class. The report contains:

1. Bible verse from Greek text
    2. Parsing of all the words
    3. SHORT definition of Greek word

The dictionaries I have installed in BW10 -- Friberg, BDAG, LSJ, etc. -- provide LONG definitions for each term. I'm just looking for a "Greek textbook gloss/glosses." Is there such a dictionary available, or another way to accomplish this quickly for all the verses in a particular chapter or book of the NT?

Thanks!

The Barclay Newman, Greek-English Dictionary (UBS) usually has the shortest list of English glosses and does not contain biblical references. You might want to look there.
    Mark Eddy

Mark, thank you. But now I have a question that I feel is elementary. I have confirmed that I have a license code for BNGD-... However, this lexicon choice does not appear when I go to Tools | Importing/Exporting Information | Report Generator. In the Lexicons box, I have Greek and Hebrew options, and the Greek options are: Friberg, UBS Greek, Louw-Nida, LS Greek, Thayer, BDAG, LEH, VGNT, Gingrich, LSJM, Danker.

So do you know why BNGD is missing?

If I look in Resources | Resource Summary Window, BNGD DOES show up on the Lexicons tab as "Barclay Newman Greek-English Dictionary"

By the way, here's a sample entry shown in the Analysis window, which is a bit longer than what I was looking for.

Barclay Newman, Greek-English Dictionary

[UBS] ὄνομα, τος n name ( κατ ὄ. by name); title; person; authority, power; status, category (e. g. εἰς ὄ. προφήτου because he is a prophet; ἐν ὀ. ὅτι Χριστοῦ ἐστε because you are followers of Christ Mk 9.41); reputation (Mk 6.14; Re 3.1)

Sorry...I think I've answered my own question now...It looks like [UBS] = [BNGD]. I was confused by the different codes.

So this changes my question then to this: does anyone know of a BW dictionary with even more concise entries, like in the back of Mounce's Basics of Biblical Greek?

Not meaning any offense, but it sounds to me (as a retired Greek professor) as if you're kind of trying to get BibleWorks to do your homework for you. Sorry if that's not the case! But let me suggest using any of the lexica in BW, and then manually editing down the glosses. It's a little more work, but you'll learn more in the process, by seeing and working with fuller definitions. And of course, in any given verse the appropriate gloss for a particular word might be 2 or 3 entries deep in the lexicon. You'll definitely impress your prof if you find that information. Overall, I think most of us learn more when we process the information in some way than when we just see it pass before our eyes. That's why I always encouraged my students to read Greek out loud, whether or not they felt they were pronouncing it well. Just getting the mouth and ears involved, as well as the eyes, strengthens the learning.
    David Rensberger
    Atlanta, Georgia

Hi David, you read me entirely wrong. I graduated seminary over a decade ago, so I'm not in homework mode. No offense taken.

The longer version of the story is this: I am 'consulting' for a prof at a seminary. He uses Bibleworks, but finds it somewhat non-intuitive. One of his now-retired colleagues, who used Accordance, could generate pages of Greek text, one verse per page, with some space for the student to write a translation, and a listing of parsings underneath each verse. Included with the parsing is a very simple gloss. This is meant to be a help to students as they translate the Greek text for exegesis classes. Admittedly, it is a cheat sheet. But it was easy to produce for, say, the entire book of 2 Peter in a few minutes, as an aid for the students exegeting that book in class.

What I'm trying to do is reproduce what Accordance can do, but using BibleWorks on Windows. I would like to have a dictionary that is super simple, like Mounce's word list from his text book. It is more concise. It serves as a reminder to the student, not an exhaustive lexical study of each and every word.

Manual editing is not realistic. We have better things to do with our limited time and the prof already knows the vocabulary very well!

My sincere apologies! I knew I shouldn't have made an assumption like that; so sorry that I did.

I haven't used the report generator, so I can't give much advice. I think the Gingrich Greek Lexicon may have the simplest entries of any in BibleWorks, but even they contain many citations. I understand about not wanting to do manual editing. I hope someone here may have a suggestion.

This is at least the second request that has appeared here lately for access to something like the information that appears in the flyover popups when the mouse is hovered over a Greek word (see https://www.bibleworks.com/forums/sh...ek-word-popups). That one never got answered. The information must appear in some file in the BibleWorks subdirectories, but I have no idea what it is or whether it can be accessed to generate a report.
    Last edited by DavidR; 12-15-2017 at 05:16 PM.
    David Rensberger
    Atlanta, Georgia

Quote Originally Posted by postiffm View Post
    I'm trying to export a report to use as parsing homework in Greek class. The report contains:

1. Bible verse from Greek text
    2. Parsing of all the words
    3. SHORT definition of Greek word

The dictionaries I have installed in BW10 -- Friberg, BDAG, LSJ, etc. -- provide LONG definitions for each term. I'm just looking for a "Greek textbook gloss/glosses." Is there such a dictionary available, or another way to accomplish this quickly for all the verses in a particular chapter or book of the NT?

Thanks!
    There is a Public Domain Lexicon as a pdf file that has a simple gloss for each word. Here is a quote from the first page of the lexicon:

""
    Copyright © 2010 by John Jeffrey Dodson
    This Greek-to-English lexicon was compiled by the copyright holder using the following public-domain sources:
    [1] Abbott-Smith, G., A Manual Greek Lexicon of the New Testament, New York: Charles Scribner’s Sons, 1922.
    [2] Berry, George R., A New Greek-English Lexicon to the New Testament, New York: Hinds & Noble, 1897.
    [3] Souter, Alexander, A Pocket Lexicon to the Greek New Testament, Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1917.
    [4] Strong, J., Strong’s Exhaustive Concordance of the Bible, 1890.

The lexicon is hereby released by the copyright holder into the public domain. As such, it may be used for personal, academic,
    non-commercial, and/or commercial purposes.
    """

Don't know if it will help. Here is the url:

http://greeklexicon.org/lexicon/about/

Dave Rogers

I'm thinking that what you want to use in BibleWorks is the Report Generator.
    There's an icon for it in the button bar or else use: Tools > Importing/Exporting Info > Report Generator

A dialog will open and you can choose:
    • Text range
    • One or more lexicons
    • Versions to be copied
    • Version(s) to be analyzed
    • A frequency filter
    • Then a whole slew of report options choosing what to include (lexicon, notes, morphological analysis, frequencies, form/lemma usage, etc.)

Hit Build Report and it generates a BWW file which is actually a RTF file that can be saved/opened in any word processor.
    Mark G. Vitalis Hoffman
    Glatfelter Professor of Biblical Studies
    United Lutheran Seminary at Gettysburg & Philadelphia
    uls.edu - CrossMarks.com
    Biblical Studies and Technological Tools

Quote Originally Posted by MGVH View Post
    I'm thinking that what you want to use in BibleWorks is the Report Generator.
    There's an icon for it in the button bar or else use: Tools > Importing/Exporting Info > Report Generator
    Mark, your usual alertness has deserted you here. postiffm indicated in an earlier post that he had tried the Report Generator and found that none of the available lexicons quite suited.
    David Rensberger
    Atlanta, Georgia