Thread: Command line search help, please

Default Command line search help, please

I'm wanting to search for verbal constructions consisting of ἦν followed by a participle. Here's an example from Matt. 7:29:

ἦν γὰρ διδάσκων (Matt. 7:29 BGT)

As seen in this example, I need to allow for one or more intervening words.

I'm sure this is possible, but not only am I uncertain about the character sequence I need to use, I'm also having trouble entering the correct characters.

Thank you very much.
    Last edited by dhave; 12-13-2017 at 06:50 AM.

If you right-click in the Command Line, in the resulting popup you can choose Command Line Examples. This is a really useful Help section that goes through many of the scenarios in CL searching. I think it will have one that will suit your purpose, and just looking through it is very instructive.

PS. You'll need to use one of the morphologically tagged databases, such as BNM or BGM.
    David Rensberger
    Atlanta, Georgia

Quote Originally Posted by DavidR View Post
    If you right-click in the Command Line, in the resulting popup you can choose Command Line Examples. This is a really useful Help section that goes through many of the scenarios in CL searching. I think it will have one that will suit your purpose, and just looking through it is very instructive.

PS. You'll need to use one of the morphologically tagged databases, such as BNM or BGM.
    Thanks, Dave. Yes, I had tried that. Usually the examples provide all the help I need. In this case, though, I wasn't able to figure out the search string I should use. Also, I'm having trouble entering the necessary combination of Greek and Latin alphanumeric characters.

So, I know I'm being lazy in asking, but I wonder if you or someone else can provide the search string I need.

I'm assuming you're mainly looking for periphrastic participle constructions >> the participle is in the nominative.

You need to use either BGM (for LXX and NT) or BNM (NT only). I'll assume NT only, but just change databases.

BNM > ENTER

'ειμι@viia3s *1 *@vp??n* > ENTER

The apostrophe at the start is used for a phrase search, i.e., words in a specific order.
    After typing the apostrophe, BW is smart enough to know you are looking for Greek, so don't try to switch to Greek characters. Just type eimi. Altogether, ειμι@viia3s = ἦν.
    *1 gives you one word wildcard (You'll get more hits changing it to *2 or more)
    *@vp??n* is the coding for any nominative participle
    Mark G. Vitalis Hoffman
    Glatfelter Professor of Biblical Studies
    United Lutheran Seminary at Gettysburg & Philadelphia
    uls.edu - CrossMarks.com
    Biblical Studies and Technological Tools

Quote Originally Posted by MGVH View Post
    I'm assuming you're mainly looking for periphrastic participle constructions >> the participle is in the nominative.

You need to use either BGM (for LXX and NT) or BNM (NT only). I'll assume NT only, but just change databases.

BNM > ENTER

'ειμι@viia3s *1 *@vp??n* > ENTER

The apostrophe at the start is used for a phrase search, i.e., words in a specific order.
    After typing the apostrophe, BW is smart enough to know you are looking for Greek, so don't try to switch to Greek characters. Just type eimi. Altogether, ειμι@viia3s = ἦν.
    *1 gives you one word wildcard (You'll get more hits changing it to *2 or more)
    *@vp??n* is the coding for any nominative participle
    Thanks, Mark. For the life of me, I can't get the asterisk before the "1" to appear in the search string. It shows up as a semicolon whether I try to type it from the keyboard or try to paste it in.

Thanks, Mark! That works for me; not surprisingly there are some false hits, but it should do the job.

dhave, I'd suggest quitting BW and restarting (if you haven't already), which could clear out any something's-stuck-in-my-memory-I-can't-type-an-asterisk issues with it. If that doesn't work, then I don't know what. What version of BW are you using?
    David Rensberger
    Atlanta, Georgia

O.K., guys, I've got it working as advertised. My best guess as to the cause of my problems was an unorthodox keyboard configuration that was apparently being invoked when I would type certain keystrokes. (I sometimes need to input in a non-Roman and non-standard alphabet for which I use a custom keyboard layout.) I had the custom keyboard turned off, but I was inadvertently invoking it.

I went to BW10 on my laptop, which doesn't have any keyboard smoke and mirrors stuff going on, and the search sequence worked well.

Thank you for your help, David and Mark. Sorry for taking more of your time than necessary due to my unique computer setup.

Now I've got to figure out how to get my custom keyboard layout to stay dormant when I'm in Bibleworks. But that's a problem for another day.
    Last edited by dhave; 12-13-2017 at 01:23 PM.

OK, no problem. As I recently said on another forum, I only invest the amount of time that I find (a) useful, (b) interesting, or (c) necessary to avoid actual work.
    David Rensberger
    Atlanta, Georgia

dhave may also have checked the General Greek Option "Search on Greek versions is accent sensitive." When that is turned on, the asterisk turns into punctuation (among other unexpected consequences).
    Mark Eddy

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Eddy View Post
    dhave may also have checked the General Greek Option "Search on Greek versions is accent sensitive." When that is turned on, the asterisk turns into punctuation (among other unexpected consequences).
    This may indeed have been the problem. However, before I read your post, I had already uninstalled and reinstalled BW10, which fixed the problem, perhaps by resetting all settings to default. I'll keep this in mind next time I get in this jam, though, so thanks.