Thread: "Testament of Moses"

Default "Testament of Moses"

The Greek version of the so-called "Testament of Moses" (listed as TMO in the OPG) included in BW is apparently not the one listed in either Charles or Charlesworth (which is based on a single Latin manuscript).

1. What is this one in BW?

2. Is there an explanation somewhere in/by/for BW of what its specific contents are? I'm aware of the Help #70 abbreviations list and the Help #77 Contents and Copyrights list. Those are fine as far as they go. But these offer no help on individual documents.

Is there any introductory explanation/description of the contents of individual documents: such as textual basis, dates, authors, etc.?

Thanks for your help.

Gary D. Collier
    Last edited by philo; 11-19-2017 at 03:01 PM.

You can find some information on the contents of OPG, OPM, OPE in their "Version" information. Either use the "Version" tab in the Analysis window, or with the "Analysis" tab in the Analysis window mouse over the version name in the Browse window.

It says this about TOM: "Testament of Moses [TMO] Clement of Alexandria, Stromata 1.23."
    I looked up Clement of Alexandria, Stromata, book 1, chapter XXIII in BibleWorks: Main menu / Resources / Backgrounds / Schaff, Early Church Fathers
    That chapter is titled "Chapter XXIII.--The Age, Birth, and Life of Moses." It contained a few snippets that corresponded to what is in TMO, but was mostly quite different.
    For APZ, which is also from "Stromata" it gives a little more information, which may be helpful in tracking these down: "Apocalypse of Zephaniah [APZ] Text from Clement of Alexandria, Stromata 5.11.77.2 (GCS 52.377)."

For ZEF it says "Zechariah Fragment [ZEF] Hermias Sozomenes., Hist. Eccl. 9.17.4-5 (PG 67.1629B). Codex Vindobensis gr. 77: 1."

For ORD it says "Ordinances of Levi [ORD] Mount Athos, Monastery of Koutloumous, Codex 39 (cat. no. 3108)."

I hope this is of some help to you.

--Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Wert View Post
    You can find some information on the contents of OPG, OPM, OPE in their "Version" information. Either use the "Version" tab in the Analysis window, or with the "Analysis" tab in the Analysis window mouse over the version name in the Browse window.

It says this about TOM: "Testament of Moses [TMO] Clement of Alexandria, Stromata 1.23."
    I looked up Clement of Alexandria, Stromata, book 1, chapter XXIII in BibleWorks: Main menu / Resources / Backgrounds / Schaff, Early Church Fathers
    That chapter is titled "Chapter XXIII.--The Age, Birth, and Life of Moses." It contained a few snippets that corresponded to what is in TMO, but was mostly quite different.
    For APZ, which is also from "Stromata" it gives a little more information, which may be helpful in tracking these down: "Apocalypse of Zephaniah [APZ] Text from Clement of Alexandria, Stromata 5.11.77.2 (GCS 52.377)."

For ZEF it says "Zechariah Fragment [ZEF] Hermias Sozomenes., Hist. Eccl. 9.17.4-5 (PG 67.1629B). Codex Vindobensis gr. 77: 1."

For ORD it says "Ordinances of Levi [ORD] Mount Athos, Monastery of Koutloumous, Codex 39 (cat. no. 3108)."

I hope this is of some help to you.

--Jim
    This was great, Jim. Thanks so much. I honestly don't understand why scholars who work on (edit, translate, etc) these books and who know that there are books with the same titles (like Testament of Moses) cannot simply very clearly indicate such and have it readily available. I so much appreciate BW 10, and I wish it was easier to find out direct info about the specific book being looked at. Maybe by mousing over the book's title and being given the option of going directly to info about that book: including date and such, and how it is not the same as some other book with the same title. That, to me, would be extremely intuitive.

Gary