Thread: Manuscripts Originals And Correctors

Default Manuscripts Originals And Correctors

I just want to confirm that the (A) designations in the manuscripts, such as B and Aleph, represent the original text before any correctors came into play.

In other words, is M-03A (Vaticanus) and M-01A (Sinaiticus) the original text? It appears this is so from my printed copies, but I need to confirm it.

Also, were these from the base text of Tischendorf, and if so, I suspect they have been corrected where Tischendorf erred in a few notable places?

Since no one who speaks with authority has responded, I'll give the impressions I've deduced from BW Help, and the Mss tab.

Help section 31 The BibleWorks Manuscript Project says that the A version, at least for M-01A, is the "base text":
    "Variants for a given manuscript are stored as separate versions in BibleWorks. Each variant is assigned a different letter. For example, m-01a is the Sinaiticus base text and m-01b, m-01c, and m-01d are variant versions. Generally speaking, the correction numbers in the BibleWorks transcriptions are chronological in sequence and indicate stages of correction within any given verse, not individual correctors. For most manuscripts the method of representing corrections employed in a BibleWorks transcription gives a good picture of what is going on. But the corrections in some manuscripts like Sinaiticus are myriad and there are many correcting hands at work. One correction unit will not necessarily involve the same correctors as those in another unit, nor will the correction stages necessarily match chronologically. The transcriptions treat manuscripts on a verse-by-verse basis and will often have several correction units within a single verse."

I would suggest confirming this by comparing the M-nna versions with the images in the Mss tab.

Since there is a Transcription Notes section in the Mss tab, I assume that the M- (manuscript transcription) series of versions were done from the manuscript images included in BW, rather than from some previously published transcription. The exceptions to this would seem to be the M-04 and M-06 series, where the images in the Mss tab are of Tischendorf's published transcriptions.
    (For M-04 the Transcription Notes seem mostly to be from Tischendorf, with some from Lyon 1958-59. See Mat 7:12, Mat 8:13)

--Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Wert View Post
    Since no one who speaks with authority has responded, I'll give the impressions I've deduced from BW Help, and the Mss tab.

Help section 31 The BibleWorks Manuscript Project says that the A version, at least for M-01A, is the "base text":
    "Variants for a given manuscript are stored as separate versions in BibleWorks. Each variant is assigned a different letter. For example, m-01a is the Sinaiticus base text and m-01b, m-01c, and m-01d are variant versions. Generally speaking, the correction numbers in the BibleWorks transcriptions are chronological in sequence and indicate stages of correction within any given verse, not individual correctors. For most manuscripts the method of representing corrections employed in a BibleWorks transcription gives a good picture of what is going on. But the corrections in some manuscripts like Sinaiticus are myriad and there are many correcting hands at work. One correction unit will not necessarily involve the same correctors as those in another unit, nor will the correction stages necessarily match chronologically. The transcriptions treat manuscripts on a verse-by-verse basis and will often have several correction units within a single verse."
    Thanks, Jim. That's the impression I got from the help file, although I wasn't at all clear on the correctors. I really don't care about them, but I did want to make sure about the original text. It also wasn't clear, to me at least, that the (A) designations are the original text. I'd like a little more detail.

At any rate, from comparing M-01A and M-03A with my printed copies of Aleph and B in a number of places, I have deduced that they are the original text, but I'm still wondering if they have been corrected from Tischendorf's original and brought into relative conformity with the images. As far as comparing the the images, that's way too painstaking. I trust that 99% of the text is accurately rendered by now.

I will say this: the Text Compare Tool in BW makes comparing the manuscripts about ten gazillion times easier than doing it the old fashioned way by hand from printed copies, especially if you're only going word-by-word instead of letter-by-letter. You still have to pay attention, but it's a cakewalk compared to the past.