Thread: Can I make the info bubble remain longer?

Default Can I make the info bubble remain longer? [SOLVED]

Is there a way to change the amount of time that the "information bubble" remain on display longer? I'm taking about the bubble which displays parsing info, for example, in a Greek or Hebrew text when I let my cursor hover over a particular word.

I know I can jiggle the mouse a little and make the bubble reappear, but I'd like it to stay put for much longer, perhaps until I move the cursor to another item.

This is because I'm painstakingly transferring certain bits of parsing info onto paper, and it takes me longer to hand-copy it than the default display time permits.

Thank you.
    Last edited by dhave; 10-14-2017 at 11:39 AM.

Go to the Options dialog (Tools > Options; or click the gear icon), then go to Miscellaneous under the General section. Under Word Tips on the right, there's a field to specify the number of seconds to wait before the tip closes. Or you can check "Keep tips open," but then it becomes very hard to close them!
    David Rensberger
    Atlanta, Georgia

Quote Originally Posted by DavidR View Post
    Go to the Options dialog (Tools > Options; or click the gear icon), then go to Miscellaneous under the General section. Under Word Tips on the right, there's a field to specify the number of seconds to wait before the tip closes. Or you can check "Keep tips open," but then it becomes very hard to close them!
    Great! Thank you. I'm impressed that BW lets me fine-tune this option so nicely. This is a big help. I marked this thread "solved".

Glad it helped! BW can be remarkably configurable. Enjoy finding your way around it!
    David Rensberger
    Atlanta, Georgia

Quote Originally Posted by DavidR View Post
    Glad it helped! BW can be remarkably configurable. Enjoy finding your way around it!
    Well, I must be taking my time. I've been using BW since 1999! I use it pretty much every day, but I confess I probably have never taken full advantages of its features.

Oh gosh, forgive me for making a stupid assumption! And I should add that that particular configuration was a new one to me. I just never thought to look for it before. I was actually glad to be able to lengthen the display time a bit myself. So thanks for sending me looking!
    David Rensberger
    Atlanta, Georgia

I've been using BW daily since v3 and I still feel like I'm always finding out there are more things under the hood that I didn't know about.

Dave
    David Spear
    Calvary Chapel of Manassas
    Manassas, Va. 20110
    http://www.calvarychapelmanassas.org/
    KJV Romans 3:28 Therefore we conclude that a man is justified by faith without (apart from) the deeds of the law.

Default Delayed Pop-Up

The discussion has been about the length of time the Word Tip window remains open. There is a corresponding setting that some may find helpful as well. It is the setting to wait X seconds to open. It is the setting that appears over the one that determines how long it will remain open before it closes again. By setting the time to wait before it opens, one can move across the text with the mouse without having a dozen little boxes popping up. The Word Tip will only open when one has actually hovered over the desired word for the specified amount of time.

I will also point out that there is a setting to keep the Word Tips box open, but then it never closes until one returns to the BW Options Window to change the setting or closes the program. When the Word Tips window is kept open in this manner, it is possible to move the box to another place on the display. It will even 'remember' that location if BibleWorks is closed and then reopened.

I hope that this serves to be helpful that like Word Tip windows.

Thanks, catlover. I just experimented with the "Wait __ seconds to open" setting, and it is helpful to set a brief delay there. Interestingly, I noticed that that delay only applies to the first instance in any given version. When in multi-version mode and moving the mouse within a version, the tooltip opens immediately on each word except the first one I put the mouse on. When I move to another version, the delay again applies to the first word I select in that version.
    David Rensberger
    Atlanta, Georgia

Since the original question was in reference to wanting more time to write down the parsing information in the word bubbles, I have another suggestion.

I have found the Analysis tab more helpful for note taking than the word bubbles. In the situation described, you can hover over the word that you want parsing information from, look at the Analysis Tab for that information and you don't have to worry about the bubble disappearing. In BW10 you have the added benefit of being able to add Dictionaries to the Analysis Tab too for even more note taking information.

Also, having taken my notes both on paper and digitally, I find the Analysis Tab great for copying and pasting parsing information into my verse note files for my digital notes. I can't say it too often how much I love the notes editor in BW10. It is so powerful for storing your text study in the original languages, and for gathering to one place all that you learn about the text from a variety of sources both print and digital.