Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Greek and command line issue

Default Greek and command line issue

Hi there.

When I try to paste any Greek word in the command line to perform a search I get something like this:

???a?efa?a??sas?a??a?efa?a???

The same happens when I copy from Thayer's lex to the text editor and back into Bw10
    Using Mac OS Sierra and BW10

I have checked the font settings as stated in the online manual: It is identical with that on the screenshot. So everything should work.

Hope anyone can help.

Florian

I think this is typical of the Command Line. I searched the forum for other questions on this topic (which I thought were there), but didn't find any. At any rate, it is what I experience also. The BW Command Line seems to exist in some special bubble of its own, and pasted text doesn't get in. (It's a titanium bubble, apparently.) But can you share the link to the place in the online manual where it seems to work?
    David Rensberger
    Atlanta, Georgia

Quote Originally Posted by Flavian View Post
    Hi there.

When I try to paste any Greek word in the command line to perform a search I get something like this:

???a?efa?a??sas?a??a?efa?a???

The same happens when I copy from Thayer's lex to the text editor and back into Bw10
    Using Mac OS Sierra and BW10

I have checked the font settings as stated in the online manual: It is identical with that on the screenshot. So everything should work.

Hope anyone can help.

Florian
    Pasting in the command line does not work because of how the command line functions. You need to type in what you are looking for. Or else if you are looking at it in the browse window for instance, highlight it, right click it and select Copy Select Text to ---> Copy Phrase to Command Line
    Michael Hanel
    PhD candidate Classics Univ. of Cincinnati
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    MA Classics Washington University
    Unofficial BibleWorks Blog
    LibraryThing!

Thank you both for your replies.

Here's the link I found.
    It sounds like it would fix the issue. But now that I read it again with your information in mind I am not that sure anymore. :/
    hmmm... bad thing.
    I have a bunch of Greek words which I need a German translation for from the Preuschen Dictionary. I thought I could get them that way. Bummer.

Michael, thanks--I hadn't notice that "Copy phrase to Command Line" option before.

Flavian, I think you're right that that knowledge base article to which you linked is relevant for areas of BW other than the Command Line. I don't seem to have the Preuschen dictionary--must not have installed it, somewhat to my own surprise! How does it function--is it a version, or is it a resource that comes up in a Windows Help-style window? Not that it seems to matter--it doesn't seem to be any more possible to paste into the search field in those than into the Command Line in the main BW window.
    David Rensberger
    Atlanta, Georgia

Quote Originally Posted by Flavian View Post
    I have a bunch of Greek words which I need a German translation for from the Preuschen Dictionary. I thought I could get them that way. Bummer.
    Flavian, can you explain in a little bit more detail what it is you want to do. Maybe there's a better solution we can provide. You're saying you want German translations for Greek words. How were you using the command line to get the translations?
    Michael Hanel
    PhD candidate Classics Univ. of Cincinnati
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    MA Classics Washington University
    Unofficial BibleWorks Blog
    LibraryThing!

Quote Originally Posted by DavidR View Post
    Michael, thanks--I hadn't notice that "Copy phrase to Command Line" option before.

Flavian, I think you're right that that knowledge base article to which you linked is relevant for areas of BW other than the Command Line. I don't seem to have the Preuschen dictionary--must not have installed it, somewhat to my own surprise! How does it function--is it a version, or is it a resource that comes up in a Windows Help-style window? Not that it seems to matter--it doesn't seem to be any more possible to paste into the search field in those than into the Command Line in the main BW window.
    David, I suspect that the reason you didn't install it is that it is an extra-cost add-on module. (Griechisch-deutsches Taschenwörterbuch zum Neuen Testament (GRDT)
    $19.00
    by Erwin Preuschen. Requires BibleWorks 7 or later.

Flavian, I assume that the GRDT is handled by BW the same way that other lexicons are, so the entries should show up in your Analysis tab when you mouse over a word (if you include GRDT in the lexicons to display), or right click on the Greek word and choose "Lookup Lemma in Lexicon Browser".

--Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Hanel View Post
    Flavian, can you explain in a little bit more detail what it is you want to do. Maybe there's a better solution we can provide. You're saying you want German translations for Greek words. How were you using the command line to get the translations?
    Thank you all for your kind help.
    So here's the deal:
    I will begin studying Greek at the University starting in October. I am also working as a memory trainer both on my own and with Timothy from masterofmemory.com
    What we are doing there is: We prepare accelerated learning resources for our students. The goal is to be able to speak and understand a language like a native speaker would in only one month.
    Now if this sounds crazy, check out the website. It is all about how the material is organized and learned.
    So much for the background.
    Now, my personal goal would be: to structure biblical greek after our memory palace system. So that when I get to go to the course I already know most of it well.
    For that reason I have created an xls file. It lists all the different word forms after form and frequency. It is Greek - English. What I need is a Greek - German version of it.
    My brother has done some major work before with searching in the strongs dict, but he has obviously not found all words in it. There are still some gaps to be filled.

Do you know of any speedy way to tell bibleworks: "Take those Greek words and output an entire list of German definitions" much like the verse list manager can do?
    That would be super handy.

Here's the download link to the xls table: (forgive the bad formatting)
    https://cp.sync.com/dl/33e5d78c0#ny2...fsed3-5ktv7p79

Thanks for the clarification, Flavian. That's a sort of request that BibleWorks gets from time to time, but I really don't think it's set up for that. BW itself does not link from forms or words directly to a definition database. (Needless to say, of course, one-to-one linkage from a Greek word to a German or English word could often provide only a very general definition, and might sometimes even be misleading.) The exception is in the popup word tips that can be set to appear when you hover the mouse pointer over a Greek word. I don't know how that works; Michael or someone can explain it, I'm sure. But even just re-linking that to a German database derived from Preuschen would be time-consuming I'm sure, not to mention creating a separate link system that could automatically produce the output you're looking for.
    David Rensberger
    Atlanta, Georgia

Quote Originally Posted by DavidR View Post
    BW itself does not link from forms or words directly to a definition database. (Needless to say, of course, one-to-one linkage from a Greek word to a German or English word could often provide only a very general definition, and might sometimes even be misleading.)
    Thank you David.
    That's interesting. So the copying the strongs or Preuschen definitions over might be misleading?
    But aren't the words on the frequency list the general terms that is non-declensed non-conjugated words etc... ?
    So shouldn't the general definition work for that matter?
    (I know a word can have various meanings though and a vocabulary word list must fall short at some point when you don't provide example sentences that provide context)