Thread: WTT vs BHS Deuteronomy 10:1

Default WTT vs BHS Deuteronomy 10:1

I've either forgotten the difference between BHS and WTT, or what I thought I knew isn't exactly applying.

Just read in Deut. 10 and noticed this in v. 1 לֻוחֹ֤ת. Obviously, lūwḥōt is an odd vocalization. But I couldn't find a note on it anywhere, though I saw it reflected Cod Len.

Then I noticed that BHS had the more standard לוּחֹ֤ת.

But... I thought WTT was more or less BHS "with corrections"? Or do I have that backwards?

Default It is documented in the WTT/WTM notes

If you mouse over that word the pop-up will provide this editorial note:

Name:  WTTpopup.jpg
Views: 149
Size:  75.9 KB

If you want to find all the discrepancies, you might be able to do a search in WTM on the "Nxx" field, the next to last field in WTM's coding.
    My wife just called me to breakfast, so I can't take the time right now to try to work out the query.

--Jim

BHS does indeed print לוּחֹת, without comment in the apparatus, as you observe. The BHQ apparatus in BW 10 says that (also as you report) the reading ‏לֻוחֹ֤ת‎ is that of ‎the Leningrad Codex, but marks it as ("err‎)." It also offers ‏לוּחֹ֤ת‎ as the reading of ML17 (‎MS EBP. II B 17 in the Russian National Library) and of MS5 ‎(MS Sassoon 507). So WTT seems to transcribe the Leningrad Codex here; if it does make "corrections," it does not do so in this instance. BHS offers a corrected reading, with the backing of other MSS, but in this case without indicating that evidence. Only BHQ (extant only for certain books at this time, fortunately including Deuteronomy) offers the corrected reading, and in the apparatus has the L reading and MS justification for correcting it. So I understand it, anyway.
    Last edited by DavidR; 07-10-2017 at 10:46 AM.
    David Rensberger
    Atlanta, Georgia

Default Information on WTM/WTT

BibleWorks 10 ships with 3 useful files from The J. Alan Groves Center for Advanced Biblical Research that contain information about "Westminster Hebrew Morphology Database", the source for WTT and WTM. These files are in the base BW directory (ordinarily "BibleWorks 10"):
    MORPHmanual416.pdf
    MORPH_ReleaseNotes416.html
    morph416.zip

morph416.zip contains the other two, plus a number of other files, including the text file that BW10 massaged (I assume) to produce the WTT and WTM databases (morph416.wts).

A careful reading of these files, including the zipped ones, is useful, especially if you are interested in the editorial notes and the accents, or want to understand the guidelines used in creating the Groves morph database.

In a few cases that I have noticed BW10 has not allowed for changes in the Groves morph version 4.16.
    For example, there are a few cases where a word will have 3 notes, and one has 4 notes. BW10 allows 2 notes, the remaining ones disappear.

David, quoting from MORPH_ReleaseNotes416.html: "Our goal, like that of Biblia Hebraica Quinta (BHQ), is to represent the text of the Leningrad Codex as accurately as possible."
    One exception, according to MORPHmanual416.pdf, is "As a courtesy to users, MORPH has the same Raphes as BHS. The Leningrad Codex uses Raphe extensively, and adding those to the Hebrew text of MORPH is planned for a future release."

--Jim

Thanks, all you brainiacs.