Thread: Troubleshooting Khmer User Database

Default Troubleshooting Khmer User Database

I'm trying to enter a Khmer document into Bibleworks. Khmer unicode is not supported, so I'm using a non-unicode font (Limon S1) that remaps Roman characters to Khmer characters, similar to the Bibleworks Greek and Hebrew fonts.

I'm running into problems with single quotation marks. Both the opening and closing single quotation marks ( and ) are used as Khmer characters.

There is no Khmer language setting. If I set the language to "English," Bibleworks changes the single quotation marks to ' , which makes the Khmer characters appear incorrectly.

If I set the language to "Other," then the single quotation marks are fine. However, this creates a different problem. When I do a word search, Bibleworks will often highlight both the search word AND the word previous. See screenshot below.

Name:  BibleWorks screenshot.jpg
Views: 159
Size:  706.4 KB

If the language is set to English, then Bibleworks will (correctly) highlight only the search word.

Is there any way I can get the single quotation marks not changed, and also have the highlighting be correct?

Quote Originally Posted by elnwood View Post
    I'm trying to enter a Khmer document into Bibleworks. Khmer unicode is not supported, so I'm using a non-unicode font (Limon S1) that remaps Roman characters to Khmer characters, similar to the Bibleworks Greek and Hebrew fonts.

I'm running into problems with single quotation marks. Both the opening and closing single quotation marks (‘ and ’) are used as Khmer characters.

There is no Khmer language setting. If I set the language to "English," Bibleworks changes the single quotation marks to ' , which makes the Khmer characters appear incorrectly.
    Sorry my bad english language (google translate)

I would try to do this:
    First - Check that your bible has been properly imported into BW
    1) open BW, go to tools Importing/exporting information/export your database (Kmher bible) in two format: a) in txt format; b) in ccat format.
    2a) compare the files exported (txt) and (cat) format (you must controll only this: opening and closing single quotation marks (‘ and ’) in the two exported files (txt and cat format). They are the same or are different?).
    2b) if they are the same you must compare "CAT file" with your previous "txt file" (used to compile your Bible) (you must controll only this: opening and closing single quotation marks (‘ and ’) in the two files (your txt file and cat exported file). They are the same or are different?)
    3) if they are different (in 2a or 2b), you must correct "opening and closing single quotation marks (‘ and ’)" with the correct character in the "CAT bible file" (be careful you can not write the correct character with the keyboard but you have to find the exact character within the "cat file" and make copy and paste it from this).

Second - import your correct "CAT bible file" in BW with tool VersionDatabaseCompiler (don't use txt file - In this format some characters are incorrectly imported in BW).

Try it setting English..... or other language.

Pasquale
    Last edited by pasquale; 05-18-2017 at 02:47 AM.

Default Version Database Compiler requirements

Without a Windows codepage for Khmer, there will be some problems with displaying and searching the database. BibleWorks uses the Windows codepage for sorting and other purposes.

Because you are having to use a different codepage, BibleWorks will treat the version as the codepage that you select. This means that the single quote marks will be treated the same way as English quote marks are treated in an English version if you are using and English codepage.

I suggest trying to compile the version using a number of different codepages and settings (including the settings on the right side that specify how BibleWorks handles punctuation issues), and see which compiling has the least amount of problems.

As to the CCAT, that format is only for Greek and Hebrew, so that you won't have to work with that transliteration format.

Blessings,
    Glenn
    Glenn Weaver

For technical support, please contact Customer Support.

Hi Pasquale,

Thank you for the reply. I did as you said, with the following results:

Test 1: Compile with language set to "Other":
    The exported TXT and CCAT match.
    The exported TXT/CCAT differs only slightly from the original TXT. It changed double spaces to single spaces, eliminated trailing spaces at the end of verses, and eliminated less-than sign characters (<). The latter is unfortunate, since < is used to display a character in Khmer font.

Test 1: Compile with language set to "English":
    The exported TXT and CCAT is the same as when compiled with "Other" except that opening and closing single quotation marks ( and ) are replaced with '. This matches what I'm seeing displayed within BibleWorks.

My conclusion is that the file IS correctly importing into BibleWorks, but the English language compiler is eliminating the opening and closing quotation marks, whereas the Other language compiler is not.

If it is possible, I would like the compiler to not eliminate these quotation marks or less-than signs, and be able to highlight searches correctly. Any idea of how I can do this?

Quote Originally Posted by elnwood View Post
    Hi Pasquale,

Thank you for the reply. I did as you said, with the following results:

Test 1: Compile with language set to "Other":
    The exported TXT/CCAT differs only slightly from the original TXT. It changed double spaces to single spaces, eliminated trailing spaces at the end of verses, and eliminated less-than sign characters (<). The latter is unfortunate, since < is used to display a character in Khmer font.

Test 1: Compile with language set to "English":
    The exported TXT and CCAT is the same as when compiled with "Other" except that opening and closing single quotation marks (‘ and ’) are replaced with '. This matches what I'm seeing displayed within BibleWorks.

My conclusion is that the file IS correctly importing into BibleWorks, but the English language compiler is eliminating the opening and closing quotation marks, whereas the Other language compiler is not.

If it is possible, I would like the compiler to not eliminate these quotation marks or less-than signs, and be able to highlight searches correctly. Any idea of how I can do this?
    Hi Elnwood,
    First) try as Glenn Weaver suggested in the previous post;

If it doesn't work: You can send me your Bible version "not compiled" with BW VDC (mailto: pasgil@alice.it):
    You would send me these files:
    a) your original txt file (zipped);
    b) your original ddf file (zipped).

I can try to import with Italian codepage and windows 7 operating system with an Italian Laptop.
    There are some characters' differences in "windows operating system" formatting "special characters" in the txt files (also as the laptop or desktop is configured).

(You should check the operating system's automatic characters replacements).

Ciao Pasquale
    Last edited by pasquale; 05-18-2017 at 09:09 AM.

Perhaps this would be a good time to ask the programmers to make the version database compiler capable of recognizing separate characters for closing quotation marks and opening quotation marks. Pretty please! I have an English .txt file in which I have differentiated these marks, but they all display the same in BW and export without proper differentiation.
    One more comment: The Khmer looks a lot like the Thai versions already in BW. Is it possible to choose Thai as the language and see if it compiles any better?
    Mark Eddy