Thread: 2 'mysterious' files on desktop

Default 2 'mysterious' files on desktop

Whenever I hover the mouse over the Bible version name abbreviation (eg TNK, NAB...etc) in the Results Window Text Area, two .rtf text document files (''testu'' and ''testuref'' are the file names) will appear on my Windows desktop. Their content are identical showing Version ID, Description, Language, Number of Books...etc of that particular Bible version.

This only happens very recently and I strongly suspect this might be caused by a recent update? If so, how do I disable this 'feature'? At the moment, I just have to manually delete them into the Windows Recycle Bin every time.

I am running Windows 7 and my version is BW 9.0.12.742.

Thank you.

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by shalommatt View Post
    Whenever I hover the mouse over the Bible version name abbreviation (eg TNK, NAB...etc) in the Results Window Text Area, two .rtf text document files (''testu'' and ''testuref'' are the file names) will appear on my Windows desktop. Their content are identical showing Version ID, Description, Language, Number of Books...etc of that particular Bible version.

This only happens very recently and I strongly suspect this might be caused by a recent update? If so, how do I disable this 'feature'? At the moment, I just have to manually delete them into the Windows Recycle Bin every time.

I am running Windows 7 and my version is BW 9.0.12.742.
    Hey there,

I am having the exact same problem like matt and am using the same Version of BW - 9.0.12.742.

That makes the latest update pretty suspicious....

Blessings,
    Steffen

Default Same Problem

I started having the same problem after the update, and Matt's right that it does occur when the mouse hovers over the version--good catch! I have the same version of Bibleworks and Windows 10 Home. This is an example of what appears (for RSV) in one of these documents:

Copyright and Source Information:

Version ID: RSV
    Description: Revised Standard Version (1952)
    Language: English
    Number of Books: 83
    Number of Chapters: 1381
    Number of Verses: 37501
    Number of Blank Verses: 0
    Total Number of Words: 908629
    Number of Unique Words: 16131
    Current Verse: 1581
    Database Type: Bible Text Version
    Books: Gen Exo Lev Num Deu Jos Jdg Rut 1Sa 2Sa 1Ki 2Ki 1Ch 2Ch Ezr Neh Est Job Psa Pro Ecc Sol Isa Jer Lam Eze Dan Hos Joe Amo Oba Jon Mic Nah Hab Zep Hag Zec Mal Mat Mar Luk Joh Act Rom 1Co 2Co Gal Eph Phi Col 1Th 2Th 1Ti 2Ti Tit Phm Heb Jam 1Pe 2Pe 1Jo 2Jo 3Jo Jud Rev Tob Jdt Wis Sir Bar Epj Pra Sus Bel 1Ma 2Ma 1Es Prm Psx 3Ma 4Es 4Ma

The documents are identical but have different document names: "testu.rtf" and "testuref.rtf". Also, the documents only seem to appear once. In other words, when I hovered over RSV, they appeared the first time, but when I hover over other version identifiers, they do not appear unless I delete the two documents. If I do delete them, then the documents reappear immediately when I hover over the version.

Best,
    Nathan

So, I am not the only one experiencing this phenomena. At least, I now know this should be a virus but rather a bug of the program.

I notice that, once the 2 files appear on the desktop, their content would continually change according to the Bible version that my mouse hovers over. That is, when my mouse hovers over ESV, their content reflect that particular version info. And if my mouse then hovers over NAS, the two files remain but the content is now changed to info of NAS.

I hope an update will fix this 'annoyance'.

Shalom
    Matt

Unhappy

Yep, me too. There is some comfort in numbers ... a wee problem, but fairly annoying all the same.

I'm running v. 9.0.12.742 under WINE (as Win 7) on Ubuntu. It would be great never to see these files show up on my desktop again!

Default Mystery solved

Oops. Sorry. These were from debug code that I forgot to remove before posting. It has been fixed now.
    Mike

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by MBushell View Post
    Oops. Sorry. These were from debug code that I forgot to remove before posting. It has been fixed now.
    Mike
    Fixed it here (9.0.12.744). Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by doc_dave View Post
    Fixed it here (9.0.12.744). Thank you!
    I had this same issue and fixed it with the patch.

Unfortunately, I had to roll my PC back and it rolled back to the previous version - the issue returned.

Bibleworks 9 can't find the new update. And I can't find it manually. Please help.