Thread: Scaling problems

Default Scaling problems

I recently purchased a Dell XPS 15 inch laptop and installed BW10 on it. I am now having a problem with scaling. With all of my other programs, I have scaling set for the laptop screen (when it is not connected to external monitors) at 200%. The problem is that when I connect the laptop to my external screens (which have 100% scaling because they are not 4K, but are HD) BibleWorks blows up huge. I have tried both scaling settings in BW (BW scales, Windows scales) and it does not make a difference. Oddly, it also does not matter if I reboot the machine while connected to external displays. The only way to get BW to scale right is to manually change the scaling setting - something I do not have to do with any other program. Am I missing something here?

Any help would be appreciated.
    Fred Greco
    Senior Pastor, Christ Church PCA (Katy, TX)
    Christ Church Blog

"The heart is the main thing in true religion...It is the hinge and turning-point in the condition of man's soul. If the heart is alive to God and quickened by the Spirit, the man is a living Christian. If the heart is dead and has not the Spirit, the man is dead before God." (J.C. Ryle)

Doesn't anyone know about scaling? It is ridiculous that I have to keep manually scaling the program just to get it to work most basically.
    Fred Greco
    Christ Church Blog

"The heart is the main thing in true religion...It is the hinge and turning-point in the condition of man's soul. If the heart is alive to God and quickened by the Spirit, the man is a living Christian. If the heart is dead and has not the Spirit, the man is dead before God." (J.C. Ryle)

Still no solution. The last Bibleworks update had a notation about "some scaling fixes" but Bibleworks is still basically unusable on multiple monitors where the resolution is not exactly the same. Not sure why, because every other program I have Bible or otherwise has very little problem with scaling. But Bibleworks can't handle it at all. And not one reply or notation from support. Disappointing.
    Fred Greco
    Christ Church Blog

Quote Originally Posted by FredGreco View Post
    Doesn't anyone know about scaling? It is ridiculous that I have to keep manually scaling the program just to get it to work most basically.
    Hello Fred,

I for one have never really tried using the feature. I would encourage you to contact BW directly, rather than posting this on the forum, which is not always acted on by the BW staff.

Regards,

Don Cobb
    Aix-en-Provence, France

Default Scaling issues

Fred,

First off, this is not a BibleWorks support channel. It is a place for users to share ideas and help each other out. BibleWorks staff occasionally visit the forum but it is not an official support channel. For that you need to contact BibleWorks support at https://www.bibleworks.com/support.html. This is spelled out in the title for this section.

With regard to scaling there are a large number of configuration setting in BibleWorks and in Windows 10 itself. In Windows 10 to can set the system scale factor separately for each monitor. But if you set it at other than the native resolution of the monitor (assuming it is an LCD) text will not be as crisp because the display has to interpolate. There are also a number of settings in BW which you seem to know about. BibleWorks is more configurable in this regard than any program that I know. The problem is that when you are working with two screens that not only have different resolutions, but have physical different sizes and DPI (pixels per inch) values, it is almost impossible to make the screen of any program look the same on both screens. In your case you have a small high resolution display and a large low resolution display. That is the worst possible combination because the two systems have radically different DPI values which are exacerbated by the difference in physical sizes. It is possible to mix a high resolution display and a low resolution display, but if the low resolution display is physically larger than the high resolution display, you are asking for low quality. There is no good solution to this. If you set the BW option to let the system scale the program and set the scale factor to the same value as the desktop on your laptop, it should behave as the other program that you said work fine. But there is no getting around the fact that if you want the program to be the same size visually on both monitors, it is going to be ugly on one of them.

I would recommend contacting BibleWorks support. They deal with these issues frequently.

God bless,
    Mike