Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Eerdmans Dictionary of the Bible + New Dictionary Tab!

Question Never Received this Resource

I have always updated BW 10 (Windows 10) regularly and have never seen the Dict tab or this dictionary in the menu anywhere. On Saturday I updated to the new version, but it caused BW10 to crash, so I had to uninstall and completely reinstall the program. After doing so, I waited until today to update and have now completely updated and still no Dict tab or Eerdman's dict available anywhere. My version number currently says 10.0.3.173. I just ran help / check for Updates again and now further updates are available. Is this dictionary only available for some users and not others?

Quote Originally Posted by Pastork View Post
    I have always updated BW 10 (Windows 10) regularly and have never seen the Dict tab or this dictionary in the menu anywhere. On Saturday I updated to the new version, but it caused BW10 to crash, so I had to uninstall and completely reinstall the program. After doing so, I waited until today to update and have now completely updated and still no Dict tab or Eerdman's dict available anywhere. My version number currently says 10.0.3.173. I just ran help / check for Updates again and now further updates are available. Is this dictionary only available for some users and not others?
    I suggest you do this:

1. Restart Windows.
    2. Go to your BibleWorks folder (usually c:\program files (x86)\BibleWorks 10)
    3. Run the bwupdate.exe program. It will download the latest EXE.
    4. Run BibleWorks as normalů

I've been away, and haven't updated BW 10 since March. Today I updated in the normal way, and it updated to version 10.0.5.884. It also downloaded the Eerdmans Dictionary and the ISBE Dictionary for Dictionary Tab; or at least it said it did. After encountering the problems previously noted in this thread, I tried one of the suggested solutions, closing BW and running bwupdate.exe. This ran successfully, and updated the program all the way to version 10.0.5.1007. I successfully got the Dict tab into the Analysis Window.

However, as others have experienced, Dict has no content, and simply displays whatever the most recent other tab was showing. Nor do I find Eerdman's under Resources > Dictionaries (or anywhere else). I've looked in the _ptchtmp folder and the databases folder, and there is no edb.chm to do anything with (or anything related to ISBE, for that matter), even though the original update claimed to have done that download. When I do a check for updates and select Options > Show downloaded/hidden patches, there is no EDB (or ISBE) in the list; yet it also does not show them as available to download. I'm not 100% sure what "initializing the INI file" means; but I closed BW, deleted bw1000.ini (after making a backup copy!), and restarted the program. This created a new bw1000.ini, but made no change to the Dict tab and EDB situations.

So, I'm stumped. Is there any way to download the missing files directly? Would restoring a checkpoint from, say, version 10.0.5.821 back in March and then running bwupdate.exe be likely to help?

Thanks for any and all suggestions. I've been longing for a contemporary Bible Dictionary in BW for ages, and really want to get this!
    Last edited by DavidR; 05-16-2017 at 03:57 PM.
    David Rensberger
    Atlanta, Georgia

Thumbs up Update - Fixed!

I was about to submit a support ticket, when I found the solution. I had been looking for EDB files in C:\Program Files (x86)\BibleWorks 10\_ptchtmp, and not finding them. Then I did a better search, and found them in C:\Program Files (x86)\BibleWorks 10\databases\_ptchtmp, a folder I had not noticed before. I copied the EDB and ISBE files to C:\Program Files (x86)\BibleWorks 10\databases, and the Dict tab now works properly.

However, there is still a bit of . In databases\_ptchtmp, I found not only EDB and ISBE files, but also the MIT files that were also updated. I copied them to databases as well. So it seems that this update did not really complete its job. Moreover databases\_ptchtmp also contains files for CNTTS and BHQ. These seem to be the same as the ones in databases (as did some of the MIT and ISBE files), so I didn't copy them. So now that everything in databases\_ptchtmp has been copied to databases, is it safe to delete them from databases\_ptchtmp? I don't want to cause any further confusion, for the program or for myself.

One last remark on the EDB: the linkage between words in English texts and articles in the EDB, while spectacularly useful, is not quite complete. It only seems to recognize the first word in an article title. So, for instance, in Micah 6:8, when I move the cursor over "justice" (NRSV) or "justly" (NIV), the article "Just, Justice" does not come up in the Dict tab. (However, when I hover over "faithful" in the NET, the article on "Faith" does come up.) Similarly, in Micah 6:10 NRSV, while hovering over "accursed" brings up the article "Curse," hovering over "measure" does not bring up "Weights And Measures." (Hovering over "ephah" in NIV does, of course, bring up "Ephah.") Of course, it's easy to know what article to look up in these instances. But I hope that this excellent resource might be improved at some future point by expanding the linkages.
    David Rensberger
    Atlanta, Georgia

One last update: A member of BW's support staff read my first post in this thread and took the initiative to reach out to me. (Now that's support!!) He was surprised that I had a folder BibleWorks 10\databases\_ptchtmp, rather than BibleWorks 10\patches\_ptchtmp\databases. Upon further investigation, I found that I had a total of four _ptchtmp folders in various places under C:\Program Files (x86)\BibleWorks 10! There seems to be some mystery about this, although it does seem clear that at least one BW update failed to complete its work properly. Just be advised that there may be more than one place to look for missing patch files!
    David Rensberger
    Atlanta, Georgia