Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Eerdmans Dictionary of the Bible + New Dictionary Tab!

Quote Originally Posted by MBushell View Post
    Try initializing your INI file. Also, is the disctionary viewable through the main menu| resources option.

You could also locate edb.chm in the BW databases folder, right click on it and see if the system locked it. If it says it is locked, unlock it.
    Mike
    Initialized INI...no joy
    Not visible thru main menu/resources
    Could not find edb.chm in BW database folder.

Copied ebd.* from _ptchtmp to databases--- SUCCESS!

Thanks for the new feature!

Gary

A Quick update on my end: The dictionary came in and works fine on the Mac version of BW10 that I have on my MacBook Pro. However, on my windows version, I still have nothing.

I could go into the guts of BW and find the file lurking there. For the moment, I've decided not to do that, simply to help out the BW staff. I'm assuming others are still having trouble bringing it in and won't go looking around for it. I'll let you know as soon as an update brings it in as it should.

Blessings throughout this Easter weekend. Χριστὸς ἀνέστη ἐκ νεκρῶν.

Donald COBB
    Aix-en-Provence, France

I appreciate all added resources, and especially its freeness. But I looked over a copy's list of contributors, and at the lame! article on the Pastoral epistles, and am OK with it not working in my work copy of BW.

Default No problems

I have had no problems with it installing on two computers (HP Pavilion laptop, Surface Pro 4). I love the functionality with the [Dict] tab open!
    καὶ ὑπὲρ πάντων ἀπέθανεν ἵνα οἱ ζῶντες μηκέτι ἑαυτοῖς ζῶσιν, ἀλλὰ τῷ ὑπὲρ αὐτῶν ἀποθανόντι καὶ ἐγερθέντι.

Default Edb

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Phillips View Post
    I appreciate all added resources, and especially its freeness. But I looked over a copy's list of contributors, and at the lame! article on the Pastoral epistles, and am OK with it not working in my work copy of BW.
    Dan, we struggled with this. We have many requests for a contemporary dictionary in BibleWorks. There are (were) a limited number that we could get permission to add and with a royalty low enough for us to absorb and put it in the base package. And David Noel Freedman was certainly a reputable scholar. There is a lot of useful information in this dictionary for people on both ends of the spectrum and there are both conservative and liberal contributors. I wish it were more conservative, but our thought was that our user base is discriminating enough to be able to filter the content. The decision to include the dictionary was mine and I meant well by it. I was going on the assumption based on the introduction and the fact that it was from Eerdmans that it would give fair treatment to both sides of controversial questions. It appears that this is not the case at all in text-critical issues. The articles on Isaiah, Ezekiel, the Pastoral Epistles, the Pentateuch, and 2nd Peter are all quite liberal. I regret that. I do think the dictionary is very useful though and it is important for conservative exegetes to be exposed to contrary positions. But if we do keep this dictionary in BibleWorks, we do need a more conservative alternative. We are working on getting the Zondervan four volume dictionary, which does seem a lot more conservative, though unfortunately the royalty will be way too high for us to absorb and it wil have to be an add on module. If you know of any one volume dictionaries that we might want to pursue, please let us know.

God bless,
    Mike
    Last edited by MBushell; 04-17-2017 at 12:43 PM.

I appreciate your clarity! THANK YOU for your explanation.. it HELPS...

Gilbert

Dan, we struggled with this. We have many requests for a contemporary dictionary in BibleWorks. There are (were) a limited number that we could get permission to add and with a royalty low enough for us to absorb and put it in the base package. And David Noel Freedman was certainly a reputable scholar. There is a lot of useful information in this dictionary for people on both ends of the spectrum and there are both conservative and liberal contributors. I wish it were more conservative, but our thought was that our user base is discriminating enough to be able to filter the content. The decision to include the dictionary was mine and I meant well by it. I was going on the assumption based on the introduction and the fact that it was from Eerdmans that it would give fair treatment to both sides of controversial questions. It appears that this is not the case at all in text-critical issues. The articles on Isaiah, Ezekiel, the Pastoral Epistles, the Pentateuch, and 2nd Peter are all quite liberal. I regret that. I do think the dictionary is very useful though and it is important for conservative exegetes to be exposed to contrary positions. But if we do keep this dictionary in BibleWorks, we do need a more conservative alternative. We are working on getting the Zondervan four volume dictionary, which does seem a lot more conservative, though unfortunately the royalty will be way too high for us to absorb and it wil have to be an add on module. If you know of any one volume dictionaries that we might want to pursue, please let us know.

God bless,
    Mike
    I sincerely do not want to provoke a time of mud-slinging and name-calling. Rather, I would like to provoke an outbreak of acceptance and understanding.

I am very grateful for this additional resource, in large part because it does seem to present a more "liberal" viewpoint.

As I understand it, BW's goal is to provide tools for the study and understanding of the text of the Bible.
    I am not a Bible professional -- not a pastor, not a teacher, just a retired mainframe programmer fascinated by the Bible, by its history, by the richness of interpretations.
    To limit resources to the ones that support a particular theological, or political, or social stance would deprive its users of potentially useful insights.

I don't have to agree with someone to learn from them. In fact, those are probably the ones that have most to teach me, since the ones I agree with are going to be reinforcing what I already "know".

Shalom,
    Jim

Default Erdmann's Dictionary Not Working

That's very odd. I reposted the executable, but we'll wait and see if others report the same glitch before looking further. Is there anyone reading this for whom the update worked smoothly?
    Mike
    Hello
    I am running 10.0.5.984 on Windows 10. When I first updated to .884, I had no Dict tab. Now, on 984, I have a tab but nothing in the tab. All other tabs work fine but the "Dict" tab does not have any data. Also, when I minimize BW10 to taskbar, then bring it up again, I often have the desktop background showing where the "Dict" tab should be. So, with two Analysis windows open ( a 4-panel display of BW10), one of the Analysis window panes shows my desktop behind it. This will stay for many (20-30 sometimes) seconds. I also found that since I first tried to update to the Erdmann's Dict, BW10 no longer re-starts automatically after updates. I have not tried the "ini" file suggestion yet (from another post in this thread).

Regards, and thanks for any help you may be able to provide.

Vic Rhodes

Default EDB missing

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Rhodes View Post
    Hello
    I am running 10.0.5.984 on Windows 10. When I first updated to .884, I had no Dict tab. Now, on 984, I have a tab but nothing in the tab. All other tabs work fine but the "Dict" tab does not have any data. Also, when I minimize BW10 to taskbar, then bring it up again, I often have the desktop background showing where the "Dict" tab should be. So, with two Analysis windows open ( a 4-panel display of BW10), one of the Analysis window panes shows my desktop behind it. This will stay for many (20-30 sometimes) seconds. I also found that since I first tried to update to the Erdmann's Dict, BW10 no longer re-starts automatically after updates. I have not tried the "ini" file suggestion yet (from another post in this thread).

Regards, and thanks for any help you may be able to provide.

Vic Rhodes
    Did you download the Eerdman's module as well?

Default Erdmann's Dictionary Not Working

Did you download the Eerdman's module as well?
    Hello again
    I did not download it separately, and did not see it in the series of updates leading up to 10.0.5.984 when I posted my question the other day. However, after the latest patch updating to 1007, I find Eerdman's is listed under Resources-Dictionaries (I had been looking under Bible Dictionaries not Dictionaries), along with ISBE, and now everything works great.
    Thanks again for your support, and for the BLESSING BW10 has been to me. The efforts of you and your team have enriched my life immeasurably.

I pray that you and your crew would experience 1 Cor 1:4-7
    1 Cor. 1:4-7 NKJ I thank my God always concerning you for the grace of God which was given to you by Christ Jesus, 5 that you were enriched in everything by Him in all utterance and all knowledge, 6 even as the testimony of Christ was confirmed in you, 7 so that you come short in no gift, eagerly waiting for the revelation of our Lord Jesus Christ,

Be Blessed!

Vic Rhodes