Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Eerdmans Dictionary of the Bible + New Dictionary Tab!

I am running BW10 on a Mac with the latest Mac Installer. In order to get the Dict tab to appear I clicked on the options icon for the analysis window and went to settings icon and then selected analysis tab options. From there I saw the Dict tab and put it in the pane I wanted. See screenshot below. Hope this helps.
    Name:  Screen Shot 2017-04-14 at 6.32.17 AM.png
Views: 121
Size:  912.6 KB

I think the issue (at least for Windows) is that the EXE update I used yesterday (4/13) does not properly shut down BW.
    I did just try the 10.0.5.981 update today (4/14), and it does properly close and restart BW.
    I also just went and tried it on my work notebook system.
    Update 981 worked fine. I then was prompted to update the modules including the EDB.
    That worked okay... but it hung for a bit (bw10upd.exe didn't initially want to run), but it fixed itself.
    BW automatically restarted, but no DICT tab.
    I had to go to the Analysis Window tab options and move the DICT tab over from the Available column into the Single Column option.
    Mark G. Vitalis Hoffman
    Professor of Biblical Studies
    Lutheran Theological Seminary at Gettysburg
    ltsg.edu - CrossMarks.com
    Biblical Studies and Technological Tools

Quote Originally Posted by MGVH View Post
    I had to go to the Analysis Window tab options and move the DICT tab over from the Available column into the Single Column option.
    I ran the Update executable, which actually put me back a version. Then I copied everything over from the folder mentioned above (temp patch), and it opens with the current name. As you suggested, I went to the Available, added the Dict tab but it does nothing. I click on it, and nothing (except mouse-over spells out "Display Dictioanary" [sic]). Nothing whatever displays; the previous displayed item remains unchanged. That is, if I was in Notes, I remain in Notes, even though the Dict tab shows as selected.

EXEs 882 and 884 has an updating bug. You can also get around it by closing BibleWorks and running the bwupdate.exe program in the BibleWorks folder...

Quote Originally Posted by admin View Post
    EXEs 882 and 884 has an updating bug. You can also get around it by closing BibleWorks and running the bwupdate.exe program in the BibleWorks folder...
    That's what I said I did, then had to recopy the files. But I'll try again.

[LATER] All right, I did that. I am back to not having Dict as a tab, nor Dictionary as a resource I can add. It's just gone. And version number is as before: 10.0.5.905. No prompts for updates.

At this point, I'm not going to copy files again; I'm just going to give up, get back to work, trust a later update will square things away.

Quote Originally Posted by admin View Post
    Done! Now I'm at 10.0.5.905, but still no Dict tab nor an option for it in Analysis Tab Options.

Default Try this

Quote Originally Posted by arggem View Post
    Done! Now I'm at 10.0.5.905, but still no Dict tab nor an option for it in Analysis Tab Options.
    Try running bwupdate again. I updated the files there.
    Mike

Close! Dict Tab shows up but is blank. Actually, if some other tab is being viewed, then I switch to Dict, whatever was previously displayed stays displayed, the Dict tab doesn't refresh it with anything.

Default One more time

Quote Originally Posted by arggem View Post
    Close! Dict Tab shows up but is blank. Actually, if some other tab is being viewed, then I switch to Dict, whatever was previously displayed stays displayed, the Dict tab doesn't refresh it with anything.
    Try initializing your INI file. Also, is the disctionary viewable through the main menu| resources option.

You could also locate edb.chm in the BW databases folder, right click on it and see if the system locked it. If it says it is locked, unlock it.
    Mike

Default It worked for me

I am using Windows 7.
    Last evening (13 April 2017) about 8 p.m., Eastern Daylight Time, I noticed that a new update was available. I applied it (10.0.5.981), and was then notified of the EDB. I downloaded it, and BW restarted with a Dict tab in the Analysis window.

No problems, no grief.
    Perhaps my fear of the bleeding edge (Windows 10) saved me?

I see now that Help/Check for Updates tells me that Executable 10.0.5.981 is available. Think I'll wait a few days before trying any more updates.

--Jim