Thread: Searching for consonant cluster and/or consonant co-occurrence?

Default Searching for consonant cluster and/or consonant co-occurrence?

To all knowledgeable BW users,

Does the command line allow you to execute a non-morphologically based search for particular consonant clusters/co-occurrence? I'm working on a phonological issue in Classical Biblical Hebrew and trying to locate possible consonantal co-occurrence restrictions.

Additionally, I'd like to locate clusters that frequently produced textual errors in the transmission of paleo-Hebrew texts.

Thanks for your help,

Preston

Quote Originally Posted by Platwood View Post
    To all knowledgeable BW users,

Does the command line allow you to execute a non-morphologically based search for particular consonant clusters/co-occurrence? I'm working on a phonological issue in Classical Biblical Hebrew and trying to locate possible consonantal co-occurrence restrictions.

Additionally, I'd like to locate clusters that frequently produced textual errors in the transmission of paleo-Hebrew texts.

Thanks for your help,

Preston
    Hello Preston,

I'm assuming you mean that you are looking for all occurrences of the sequence, say, דבק in the MT, regardless of where these letters are in a grammatical structure, or in the same word. Yes, that can be done. The easiest way, in my mind, is to use the GSE. You basically want to create a series of possibilities, i.e. *qbd* or '*q bd* or '*qb d*

Here is a screen shot of what I tried.

Name:  Capture d'écran 2017-02-18 08.01.09.png
Views: 86
Size:  59.1 KB

This will bring up results with the consonants דבק, such as ותדבק (but not the hiphil וידביקו), as well as constructions such as
    עד־בקר

I would suggest you turn off the vowels (type "x" with the cursor anywhere in the browse window) to visualise things a bit more easily.

Once you have done that, you can then keep the basic setup and change the consonants to look for other sequences.

I hope that helps!

Donald COBB
    Aix-en-Provence, France
    Last edited by Donald Cobb; 02-18-2017 at 03:36 AM.

Donald, did that Graphical Search Engine search produce any false results? Since Preston asked for Command Line ideas, I tried this on the command line, thinking it ought to produce similar results to your GSE search:
    (.בק* *ד.)/(*דבק*)/(ק* *דב)
    I hope that displays OK; I couldn't copy and paste from the BW Command Line.

Anyway, along with the desired hits, this produced a number of false results, such as ‎Gen 1:5, which ends וַיְהִי־בֹקֶר יוֹם אֶחָד.
    David Rensberger
    Atlanta, Georgia

Quote Originally Posted by DavidR View Post
    Donald, did that Graphical Search Engine search produce any false results? Since Preston asked for Command Line ideas, I tried this on the command line, thinking it ought to produce similar results to your GSE search:
    (.בק* *ד.)/(*דבק*)/(ק* *דב)
    I hope that displays OK; I couldn't copy and paste from the BW Command Line.

Anyway, along with the desired hits, this produced a number of false results, such as ‎Gen 1:5, which ends וַיְהִי־בֹקֶר יוֹם אֶחָד.
    Hello David,

I first tried something along the same lines, but got too many false hits. With the GSE, I got 83 hits (I think; I just closed down BW and I'm too lazy to open it up again!). All of them check out perfectly.

Just as an aside--I forgot to mention it in my previous post--when putting two word boxes together, you have to invert the order as compared to the hebrew word order. I.e., instead of [box 1] *q [box 2] bd*, you have to order the boxes as follows: [box 1] *db [box 2] *q. My explanation may be unclear, but in the screen shot it's pretty obvious. It's just a detail, but not taking into account produces unwanted results!

Don

Thanks, Don. Mine gets 616 hits in 288 verses, so not very useful. I don't think the sequencing would be the issue for my Command Line, since they're "and" searches.

So, Preston, you may need to take a deep breath and go for the GSE!
    David Rensberger
    Atlanta, Georgia