Thread: Book of Concord

Default Book of Concord

BibleWorks has released the Lutheran Book of Concord as a free update:

Bente, Friedrich. Triglot Concordia: The Symbolic Books of the Evangelical Lutheran Church:German-Latin-English St. Louis: Concordia Publishing House, 1921.

Note: The BibleWorks edition of Bente's Triglot Concordia only contains the English translation of this work, and does not contain the German and Latin portions. Also note that Bente's Historical Introductions, while not part of the Triglot Concordia, are also included.

You can download this free update by going to the main BibleWorks menu and selecting

Help | Check for updates.

I already have the Book of Concord in BW, including the German version, in an html version. I assume it was a user database. Will installing the version which you are offering wipe out the version I already have, which appears to include more?
    Mark Eddy

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Eddy View Post
    I already have the Book of Concord in BW, including the German version, in an html version. I assume it was a user database. Will installing the version which you are offering wipe out the version I already have, which appears to include more?
    Mark Eddy
    No, the new one will not wipe out the old.

The one you have, presuably prepared by Michael Hanel, shows up in the Resources menu under "Lutheran Resources".
    The new BW issued one shows up under "Backgrounds".
    The old one's files are "BookofConcord.*"
    The new one's files are "concord.*"
    Therefore they can coexist within one BibleWorks environment.

The old one has some things that are not included in the new (or that I could not find in the new).
    -German texts
    -various supplementary pages
    -links to the internet (some dead)

The new one has some thing that is not included in the old (or that I could not find in the old).
    -the original preface to the Book of Concord, with lengthy list of signers

I gather that both are based on the 1921 edition edited by F. Bente. The old one names Bente where his articles appear; the new one does not. I have not not done a detailed comparison, but it looks like the new one is in a consistent sanserif font, with some formatting problems. The old one seems to have a variety of fonts, some serif. In one case where I compared both editions, the old one handled the formatting (italics, etc.) better. Navigation in the new one is more consistent, depending on the left Contents pane; the old one is a mix of Contents pane and links, some of which don't work.

--Jim
    Last edited by Jim Wert; 02-16-2017 at 12:13 PM. Reason: Formatting

I can't really comment at all on the official BibleWorks Book of Concord piece. It's a good addition, but I wasn't involved in it.

But yes, both texts must ultimately reflect the Bente edition. That's the public domain edition. There are newer translations (Tappert and Kolb-Wengert), but those would cost licensing fees. BibleWorks asked about including my version at one point in time, but it got to be a little dicey. My edition is essentially a self-contained copy of the website http://www.bookofconcord.org/. That material was once connected with an employee of Concordia Publishing House (and it may still be) and although the text is public domain, there was question in my mind whether the e-text could be considered public domain too. And since CPH as a company had decided to only pursue electronic text relationships with Brand X, I didn't want to get BibleWorks caught in a grey area business-wise.

Since I don't know who created BibleWorks' edition, I can't comment on why they chose to include or exclude what they did, but that background on my edition at least informs you as to why it contains what it does.
    Michael Hanel
    PhD candidate Classics Univ. of Cincinnati
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    MA Classics Washington University
    Unofficial BibleWorks Blog
    LibraryThing!

Default Can't find it

I cannot find this resource after looking through every menu. I guess I did not receive this update? Perhaps I just don't know where to find it? I have all the recent updates available, and it doesn't seem to be there.
    Last edited by Pastork; 05-01-2017 at 11:09 AM.

Hello,

I have installed this resource but all I can see are blank pages if I open the resource.
    I added a screenshot of that problem.

Can anybody help?

Using BW9.

Blessings,
    Steffen 
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Hi Steffen,

I expect that you will have to unblock the CHM that you downloaded from the BibleWorks Old in the New site. That is likely why you cannot read the content. (For those who are reading this thread, the file that Steffen has is not the official BibleWorks file, but one that Michael Hanel created.) Right-click on the downloaded file, then select Properties and look for a checked box next to the word "block". Uncheck the box.

Pastork,

You will need to run the bwupdate.exe program that is in the main BibleWorks folder before you can see the update for the Book of Concord. Please see the message that Michael Tan posted to you under your question about the Eerdmans Bible Dictionary. You currently have an old executable, and are not seeing the updates.

Blessings,
    Glenn
    Glenn Weaver

For technical support, please contact Customer Support.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn Weaver View Post
    Hi Steffen,

I expect that you will have to unblock the CHM that you downloaded from the BibleWorks Old in the New site. That is likely why you cannot read the content. (For those who are reading this thread, the file that Steffen has is not the official BibleWorks file, but one that Michael Hanel created.) Right-click on the downloaded file, then select Properties and look for a checked box next to the word "block". Uncheck the box.
    Did that already many times but simply forgot it once again....

Thx Glenn.

Blessings,
    Steffen