Thread: Is there really a difference here? (Mark 15:18 SCR vs. WHT)

Default Is there really a difference here? (Mark 15:18 SCR vs. WHT)

Tools > Viewing the Text > Parallel Versions Window

When comparing SCR and WHT, BW10 is showing that βασιλεῦ in the two different texts differs.

Name:  Mark15_18_SCRvsWHT.PNG
Views: 358
Size:  9.0 KB

I, however, don't see a difference. When I saw this, my Text Comparison Settings were these:

Name:  TextComparisonSettings.png
Views: 325
Size:  15.4 KB

I've run into this before where BW10 saw a difference I could not see. Is this me or my settings or is something no quite right?

EDIT: Maybe it's because of LCS being selected and the fact that there's a comma after αὐτόν in SCR but not in WHT? I wouldn't expect that since there are no settings related to punctuation. I'd assume that punctuation is ignored. Is it?
    Last edited by ETC; 02-06-2017 at 05:06 AM.

The text comparison highlighting is working fine on my computer. When I have just scr and wht there is nothing highlighted in Mar 15:18. When I add byz, then the highlighting appears. Did you, perhaps, have byz or another text which reads βασιλεὺς active in the comparison and then deleted it, but did not click on the "Apply" button? Until you apply the changes your old settings are still in effect.
    Just a guess.
    Mark Eddy
    Last edited by Mark Eddy; 02-06-2017 at 05:17 PM.

I think your problem is elsewhere. I notice that the way your text highlighting is set up would make the differences show up in red, whereas your actual highlight is in pink.

I would be willing to bet that it's the automatic version difference feature, that is activated (and disactivated) simply by typing "e" in the text area. If you have BYZ or another representative of the Majority text open somewhere (which has βασιλεὺς instead of βασιλεῦ) and the automatic version difference activated, that would explain it (BTW, the variants highlighted by the automatic version difference show up in pink!).

Hope that helps!

Donald Cobb
    Aix-en-Provence, France

Donald, you're absolutely correct.

Maybe there should be some kind of flag or something to say that automatic version difference is on. I'm not too-color oriented and am color blind to some shades, so that may explain part of the problem!

Thank you both for your assistance.
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by ETC View Post
    Donald, you're absolutely correct.

Maybe there should be some kind of flag or something to say that automatic version difference is on. I'm not too-color oriented and am color blind to some shades, so that may explain part of the problem!

Thank you both for your assistance.
    Eric
    Glad that helped, Eric.

As someone who is "color sensitive" (i.e., not quite "color-blind", but getting there!), I can sympathize! Generally, if you have other language versions open (e.g., NAS, ESV, NIV, RSV), the difference is pretty apparent, since the automatic version difference feature highlights all the differences between all the same language texts that are open.

Regards,

Don

Quote Originally Posted by ETC View Post
    This kind of thing often happens to me when I think I'm typing in the Command Line but the cursor is not located there. When I type an e, a little notice pops up telling me I've turned on version comparison. Perhaps you closed that notice (as I've often done) without really taking it in; or perhaps you told it not to pop up those notices again. So, there is a flag sort of, when you turn it on; but I agree that a more obvious alert (other than unexpected colors showing up on your screen!) would be helpful.
    David Rensberger
    Atlanta, Georgia

I've had a similar problem, ETC. I have tried in every possible way to fix the error but have not succeeded. It is right embarrassing to have to stay up in the work beacuse such a relatively trivial problems. Even for me, it turned out that Donald was right. The problem was that the automatic version difference feature was activated. So now, the problem is solved. Thank you, Donald.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ________________________
    damfakta
    Last edited by lundbychurch; 03-28-2017 at 05:42 AM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by DavidR View Post
    This kind of thing often happens to me when I think I'm typing in the Command Line but the cursor is not located there. When I type an e, a little notice pops up telling me I've turned on version comparison. Perhaps you closed that notice (as I've often done) without really taking it in; or perhaps you told it not to pop up those notices again. So, there is a flag sort of, when you turn it on; but I agree that a more obvious alert (other than unexpected colors showing up on your screen!) would be helpful.
    Good point David. I generally keep the popup hints set so that they come up each time, unless I'm pretty confident I'll remember how to turn on or off the feature any given popup is reminding me of. So I've never really thought of the automatic comparison feature as poorly marked.

One can, of course, reset the popups if they have been disabled. I believe you do it by going into "help" and clicking on "show tooltips". You would then have to once again turn off the popups you had previously disactivated, but that would allow you to get your automatic version comparison popup going again.

Don